what are some good effect pedals to get?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
I got a distortion pedal for my guitar, but what else should I get? what effect pedals do you all use? I cant buy anything to expensive, meaning anything over $100.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
ok cool thanks, ill look into finding those online. a friend told me of this great site that has some kick ass effect pedals.

they sell a ton of other stuff to.

afkik

Dec 23, 2000
Munich
Visit site
no no no no no, you gotta get those little ones from 30-50 bucks each. I have 2 of them, the brand is called Dane Electro or something like that and they are cool. They have weird names like tuna melt and grilled cheese. The ones that I have give it a weird sound. One is "wavy" the other is like a static distortion which sounds really cool.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
IMO the Ibanez Icebox has the sweetest stereo chorus. and the unbelievable Vox wah + Ibanex Tubescreamer will put out some serious leads.

I'd love to get a flanger or a talk box but they're a little too expensive for my taste.

yenner

yenner-like
Jul 10, 2001
at my computer
Visit site
even better

yeah, those are all good...depending on what you want to play. I would definitely advise investing in a crybaby. a great addition to any set of petals. you can use it alone or link it up with others and the last forever.

cryco

Quasi-Genius
Nov 23, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
The chorus is a must. Or a flanger, but the rate on a flanger is slower and well, different. A wah is good if you're into leads. Bluesy-iish and rock. Actually, anystyle. But if you like more rythm, go for the chorus.
Delay and reverb are cool, but reverb ain't worth it.
Youhave an SBlive? I got all thoses effects off my card. They sound good too.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Heh heh, I've got a flanger. It's incredibly cool to get that 60's whirling, Hendrix sound, but it's not something you'd leave on for very long.

I've had the most fun with a 'wah-wah' pedal. There's definitely a real learning curve to it, and it can be used by setting it to a position and leaving it there or stomping on it a lot to get that cool 'talking' effect.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
what pedals do these bands use:
Godsmack
KoRn
nirvana
system of a down
papa roach

I play songs from those bands the most, so I figured ill just get some of the pedals they use. im diffently getting a flanger though. :)

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
I've got:

ProCo Rat 2 (distortion pedal)
Jim Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah
Marshall Vibratrem (vibrato & tremelo in one)
Danelectro Hash Browns Flanger (v. cheap & good)

All plugged into a Marshall AVT50 which has an effects loop and reverb (not to mention loads of gain :)).

What I also want:

Digitech Whammy pedal (pitch shifter plus other cool stuff)
Digital delay (prolly a Boss DD5)
Chorus
Big Muff (fuzz pedal)
Any other funky stuff if I have the cash

I think that Kurt Cobain used a Boss Turbo distortion (dunno the model). I also dunno the rest...check them up on www.guitargeek.com or any other fan based web site :)

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
get a rack effects all-in-one processor. I have a Digitech GSP 21 Pro from WAAAAY back in the day; it does tons of stuff and doesn't sound "over processed" and it it supposed to come with a foot controller.

there are a couple available on Ebay for under $200
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1451625439
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1451602376

or the Legend model:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1450159248

if you buy a new rack processor you're going to spend a LOT of money (I originally got my GSP for $800 or so). The old stuff still works great.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
I cant spend that much on effect pedals, I dont want to spend over a $100 right now on any effect pedal. once I get a job though I wont have a problem with doing that. I plan on first getting a huge amp when i get a job, the one I got right now is small but pretty powerful. but I want one thats bigger and more advance.

A friend of mine used to have this distortion pedal called "The Big Muff". It was made from russian tank parts and had the meaty-est sound I've ever heard.
I think he payed somewhere around 60 bucks for it. Too bad it broke after like 4 months. Darn Russian tanks! It did have such a kick *ss sound to it though!

alien8

Run, you magnificent bastard.
Originally posted by WebSlinger
get a rack effects all-in-one processor. I have a Digitech GSP 21 Pro from WAAAAY back in the day; it does tons of stuff and doesn't sound "over processed" and it it supposed to come with a foot controller.

A friend of mine has a rack processor - it took him a couple of weeks, but he's got the exact sound that Van Halen used in Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love for the guitar solo at the beginning of the song. Awesome :) I'm a huge fan of the 70's Arena Rock sound, and he's got it nailed down perfect :)

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
I believe Korn uses a DOD distortion along w/ a flanger set to a very slow rate.

BTW: crybaby is nice, had that for a while. Vox is godlike:p

You could get a Line6 if you wanted to get an entire amp loaded w/ effects.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
ok im gonna go look into these pedals and see how much they are and do my research on them.

and I heard there is a device that lets you hook these all up and use them at once or switch between them easily, so you dont have to unplug your guitar and put in a new pedal. what is this device called?