U2 mods even before the game hits stores?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mind Maze

May 6, 2001
Visit site
How people can already be working on U2 mods if the game isn´t out yet? Game developers who are already testing what the new engine can do, even if the editor and other things aren´t 100% complete, have acess to it but what about mods?

Nexus350

Level Creator
Jul 22, 2001
www.geocities.com
Probably just putting together the basics, like ideas, meshes, textures, that sort of thing, so by the time the game and editor comes out, they'll have the meshes done in 3DSMAX w/ texturing, ready to export. Y'know, that kind of shtuff

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Nope, your both wrong :)

Mods switch to the higher engine because of the benefits. How can they do it? Well, with UT its simple. U2 will use a very similar uscript system, which means that they can get the mod built for UT knowing that they'd never release it for it. Then when U2 comes out, they can just switch engines, fix any bugs and then add in the code for the new functions and abilites of the higher grade engine.

Oh, and the models will be different. U2 allows for much higher poly models which means that im gonna be spending way too much time modelling in future.... Sigh... it doesnt rain, it pours... :hmm:

Hope that answered you questions :)

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
don't know if the uscript can be transported to u2, i hope it can, or most mods will have to restart the whole scripting thing from nihil

Caravaggio2

Custom user text goes here.
Jul 26, 2001
So is anybody else seriously worried about the commune as a whole? I mean as the game gets more advanced the file sizes for maps and meshes with ten times the poly count and huge tex will make huge files, and though I don't realy understand them many are already complaining about things like the SF or realtournament sizes. It's small as it is, it scares me to think what'll happen if it's regulated to people with cable and dsl.

Just wondering what you all thought...

quitgrin1

Demon Like
Jul 31, 2000
Nowhere
www.geocities.com
i´m a 56'er... i cant even THINK of downloading files of more than 20 megs...

the only thing that can be downloaded are patches, because, if I want to stay up to date in editing, I´ll have to do that.

GRINGOLOCO

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
Don't know if it helps much, but you should get DAP , it's a freeware ( :D ) program that speeds up downloads by finding multiple sites to download from, and also has resume support for lost connections. I know that 56 is 56, but it could realy make life easier. Download overnight, or while you're at work, it's all good.

Iceman SAS

SAS Coder/Founder
Jun 1, 2001
Birmingham, UK
www.planetunreal.com
I think most people will have broadband by then, if they don't already now, as well as enourmous hard drives.

As for making a U2 mod now, there's an awful lot of stuff that needs to be done before you even look at the engine. Design, Art, Texture Design, Models... the list goes on.

With U2 having the ability to import 3ds models into the maps directly, alot of the architecture can be done in advance as well.