Impact effects

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
After finishing Max Payne yesterday I thought: "that's what INF needs" the impact effects are truelyu superb. And after some close inspection I think it can be recreated on the standard UT engine. Basically what they did is combine really superb bullet hole decals with the spawning of a certain type of sprite. They spawn sprites that fly in a random direction in combination with a smoke sprite and a waterfall effect (depends on surface of dust falling down) it looks quite convincing.

IMO this would add even more to the graphical greatness of INF.

Dr_Strangelove

http://www.jeremycox.com
Apr 1, 2000
US
www.jeremycox.com
yea, that would be cool! How is Max Payne anyway? Does "Bullet time" work well?

The other thing I have been thinking about is being able to hear bullets flying past you. That would make the experience much more immersive and make covering fire actually work.

ANUBIS199

Jun 3, 2001
Visit site
I think the bullet sound problem was because a moving sound trigger would have to be attached to the bullet and when you have lots of bullets flying around things are gonna slow down......... alot.

ANUBIS

MoNDoGuY

Groin grabbingly good!
Apr 5, 2001
CANADA!!!!!
ghost.clanpages.com
Wouldn't those types of effects slow down INF. Max Payne is on it's own engine that was made for that type of stuff, UT can probably do it, but at a cost of performance. I'm not really educated in the area of the UT engine, just trying to use common sense.

And Max Payne is simply one of the best games I've ever played. The bullet time effect is simply the coolest thing I've seen in a game. SO MUCH fun can be had with it.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Smoke sprites are already spawned by weapon firing...
I don't think it would be that bad.
Give the option to turn it off if its too much. *shrugs*

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Those impact-effects in MP would be just the thing to enhance Infiltration ...
Wood => "splinters" & 'wooden' impactsound
metal => "sparks" & 'metallic' impactsound

It would require something like the footstep-sounds for every texture.
But if the team could do that, then bulletpenetration would be only one step away, as it could be based on the material as well as thickness.

The only problem is if the Unreal-engine can handle this and if the team can make the required modifications.

A simpler solution would simply use the texture of the wall as the splinter-texture