What's the Best Modem? ( I looked for this thread already)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ninja_freak

Katana Krazy
Jul 5, 2001
Winchester
Visit site
Having made the not so difficult decision that my USR 56k licks pouch, I was wondering which modems are best for on-line gaming.

Also, what are your views on internal / external modems. Is there any advantage (besides freeing up a PCI slot) to having an external modem??

Thanks for your help!!:boom:

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
I dont think there is a advantage to getting a extrenal modem.

and there really isnt any point to getting a new modem, it wont help any at all in your online connection. The best thing to do is to go broadband if you have it in your area. Check around and see if any companys like AT&T have DSL or cable modem support in your area.

Gamma_Sword

Terrible, Terrible Damage!
Feb 12, 2001
Not There
Didn't people say it was Diamond Supra ISA External or something similar to it? I don't remember exactly. Maybe people like LK would know.

My modem is capable, but my ISP sucks arse... oh well, and broadband isn't available in my area (well, technically they are... but my friggin line don't qualify).

Ninja_freak

Katana Krazy
Jul 5, 2001
Winchester
Visit site
No Broadband in my Area

Unfortunately I can't get broadband until sometime next year.. God do things move slowly in the UK!! :mad:

My ISP is pretty good (Demon Internet) but I thought as my old modem is starting to pack it in I'd ask some of you guys/gals what you think is the best.

I have a look at the Dimond Supra. Thanks everyone..

Cablebait

May 23, 2001
canada
Visit site
I have an isa zoom modem and have achieved 120 pings on fairly close servers.I have also achieved 160-190 pings on some distant servers..therefore i believe your isp to be more important than your modem.Thought about a pci modem but then realized i wont achieve any better pings than these...not on 56k anyhow.

You-Suk|BuF

Getting ready
About modems

just be sure that you have a hardware modem !!
i had winmodem :( (aka software modem) and i was pinging
around 350 (up to 3000 !!!!!!)
changed it or a hardware modem (internal) pings dropped to 200
and sometimes even lower :)

so if you have a winmodem, get rid of it :p

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
Re: No Broadband in my Area

Originally posted by Ninja_freak
Unfortunately I can't get broadband until sometime next year.. God do things move slowly in the UK!! :mad:

My ISP is pretty good (Demon Internet) but I thought as my old modem is starting to pack it in I'd ask some of you guys/gals what you think is the best.

I have a look at the Dimond Supra. Thanks everyone..

getting broadband in areas is pretty slow in the united states as well. You would think more companys would be trying harder to get it setup, but thats not the case. There is a HUGE demand right now for boardband, espically in the smaller towns and some rural areas in the united states. not sure about europe and the rest of the world though.

You-Suk|BuF

Getting ready
Re: Re: No Broadband in my Area

Originally posted by Flare123

getting broadband in areas is pretty slow in the united states as well. You would think more companys would be trying harder to get it setup, but thats not the case. There is a HUGE demand right now for boardband, espically in the smaller towns and some rural areas in the united states. not sure about europe and the rest of the world though.

same here in europe, i had to wait for 6 months and i live in a small town
some mates of mine,they live 10 km away are still waiting for it
--> no date set yet :(
but i have to say it's worth waiting for, pings below 100 :D
are normal nowadays
on a good day and a servers closeby i have pings below 50