Botpaths: The "Cleaning up" phase freeze UEd...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
When rebuilding the bot-paths UEd freeze in the last moment, the "Cleaning up" phase.... I have seen this before on another map, and the problem was then that two path-nodes where placed exactly on the same place, but I'm sure this isn't the case now.

Is there an good way to track these kind of errors or is the only way traditional error handling method, I mean time consuming methods as "delete nodes and rebuild until it works"?

/Z

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
what's the processor speed of the computer that is computing the map?
i remember when i did a rebuild on a very big map i thought that the editor freezed, but it just took ages to finish...

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
also, if you leave your editor log open you'll see if the map is still being calculated or if it really crashed

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Just ran into this same problem, it turned out to be some corrupted path nodes.
How I dealt with this problem…

Select all path nodes and then delete them, now look for the ones that where not deleted, you can use the “Search for actors” menu selection to quickly find the culprits, as they will still be listed.

Now undo the delete, select all, make sure the bad path nodes are not selected, copy the selection.
Start new map, and past.
Now Rebuild.

Well that’s what I had to do, as the editor would not let me do anything to the bad path nodes.
:D

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
at’s what I had to do, as the editor would not let me do anything to the bad path nodes.

I think we have the same problem and I have done thing you are saying. Is there really no other way to delete corrupted stuff? (Maybe this have to be a new thread to get more exposure to more people who might know.....)

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
you can also pack any actors into groups [select them, then make a new group in the group browser] and deactivate/activate them systematically to find out the corrupted path nodes

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
I’v never used the group feature before, how do you deactivate/activate them?

By the way, in response to ZIRBs question, I’ve noticed that sometimes if I open a window to another program while the ED is in the middle of rebuilding, the little progress bar gets stuck and everything seems to be frozen, but if I hit the save button, the window goes away. I’m not sure if it would work that way on a Mac though?

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
just take a look at the group browser, i think it was pretty obvious how to use it [haven't used it for a while]

i know that problem with multitasking while rebuilding, but it seems to finish the rebuild without errors, there just isn't a progress bar

ramon

Jun 25, 2000
seville, spain
Visit site
this is not a Mac issue, is just like using Download accelerator with big files. if ur processor/ram is overloaded (like when u map) and u ar multitasking, normally progress bars tend to get stuck. but the progress is still working, just have to wait until it finish

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
What I meant was, if I do something else while the Ed is rebuilding, that bar gets stuck, and never goes away. It will just sit there forever till I hit save, or rebuild a second time. No big deal, like -reaper- said, everything still works ok though

by the way WeeD=-Ramon, I didn’t realize that was you I was playing online to day, you were on my team, and that was me who got cut up twice by that guy :D anyway I just thought if was funny, I’ve never been knifed in INF before :D

Last edited:

ramon

Jun 25, 2000
seville, spain
Visit site
dunno, everytime i open the editor this MemWatcher tool report the it eats almost all my free ram (i have 160 MB, usually 128 free, 46 with the editor doin stuff)

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Silver:, I had one question, you mentioned that the ED will not let you delete a bad node? Lets say I were to find one, can’t I just right click it and delete it, another words doses that only apply to more then one bad node?

I’m not sure if it’s the same thing, but I’ve seen path nodes disappear after adding a brush that blocks a line of a path node, and rebuilding the network doesn’t bright it pathnode back.
I know hte path node is still there becouse If I remove the brush that caused it to disappear, the path node becomes visible again. It’s just one of them things I’ve never understood.

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
When I talk about Path nodes I mean the little apples that act as waypoint markers, not the lines in-between the apples that the engine generates.

Try going to the wire frame view mode, you should be able to see the apples then even if they are inside an object.

As for the group browser, I couldn’t imagine trying to map complex locations without it, being able to make a collection of actors selectable with a single click is a real time saver.

Deleting the bad path nodes, there were three that were bad, I couldn’t get rid of them either singly or in a group, and the map was a real monster sized map with over 1200 brushes, and in the process of importing to a new map, all the group info is lost.

What was wacky was when I tried to duplicate the bad path nodes with a single click they multiplied till they ran into a wall, giving the effect of a water fall of path nodes in the overhead view, it was wired.
:D

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Silver, I know what a path node is. What I meant was that the pathnode (apples :D ) will sometimes despair when adding a brush that blocks a path. I know what you mean about them multiplying, that happened to me the other day after I tried to block a path I diden't want. I coulden't get rid of the path so I tried using an invisible collision hall brush. The brush did a good job at blocking the path, but the Pathnode completely despaired in the perspective view and multiplied, (there were 3 all-in-one spot) anyway, aftere deleting the collision brush, the nodes came back and I deleted them one by one.

My guess is that the invisible bush I added was too close to the non-solid colons In my map, and maybe caused a bsp, “the kind of bsp that creates invisible walls in random parts of your level.

In my past experiences with bsp errors, they are usually always the cause of a path node disappearing. a light actore will do the same if in the loaction of a hole
Anyway it’s fixed but I just thought it might be related.