3 Corona settings?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Hello
Could someone please explain what these three settings do, or an example or two? I’m not really sure how to use them property, or what they even do?

1. Lod Bias
2. Scale Glow
3. Sprite ProForward

It would help me out greatly, Thanks..
-Mike-

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
Scale Glow is how bright the corona texture is. A Low scale Glow will make the texture look dim and washed out. Settings you can use are 0.0 - 1.0 1.0 being full bright and 0.0 would make the corona invisible.

Sprite Project Forward is a setting that determines how far out the sprite texture will overlap geometry. Have you ever noticed that if you stand under a corona to the point where you are up against a wall and in reality you shouldn't see the corona through the wall but in UT you can with the default settings. Lower the number and it will help to make Geometry right next to the corona block being able to see the corona

I'm not sure if the other settings even does anything.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Hay thanks Slick_Willy, that is good information!

I’m having this problem with my coronas looking too thick or opaque. I’m trying to produce an effect almost like the room is hazy making the light flair, but not enough for fog.
I just want the corona to show very faintly. Another words, almost completely transparent but not entirely. I tried darkening the textures, but it just makes the circle smaller and more artificial.

Thanks for explaining that, from what you tooled me about the Sprite Project Forward, I think I will definitely need to lower that since I can see the corona showing through the top of the garage door.

Thanks!
-Mike-

Last edited:

quitgrin1

Demon Like
Jul 31, 2000
Nowhere
www.geocities.com
Hey man, you better change those lightsources, because it looks very unrealistic (up clos). You should make those lamps smaller, because a big lightsource (lamp) with a small corona (or lightbox) looks ugly.

GRINGOLOCO

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
LOD Bias (theoretically) adjusts the Level of Detail of a mesh.
(Eg. If you see a mesh far away, you can't really notice the small details on it...so the engine renders a lower-poly version of the mesh to increase performance)

This isn't applicable to coronas and IMO the function isn't implemented yet, so hey. :)

(Skin LOD works tho!)

Last edited:

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
GringoLoco, that’s the problem

The reason the coronas are small is because I made them dark like someone suggested in an effort hoping to make them more transparent, unfortunate the result was that they ended up looking smaller. The picture was put up to show exactly what I “don’t” want it to look like. Anyway, the texture being used in the image is a custom one I made as an experiment. I think I’m trying to do something impossible, or at least know one seems to have the answer.

I am trying to make the corona almost invisible, but not completely invisible. (Very. very Transparent looking) ????

Thanks Chris.