Q3A's graphics = ick compared to UT but...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
most review sites don't seem to notice. there was no hype about UT's gorgeous graphics (and amazing high-def textures), just raving about how Q3A has cuurvvesss. Oooh, so they have gradient shading on regular polygons. WOW. they also couldn't shut up about volumetric fog, when unreal had it long before q3a did. it's all about reputation. almost everyone's heard about ID software, but few have heard about digital extremes and epic games.

sorry to rant... i just got so sick of q3a's brownness and plain weapons after a week of UT and couldnt see how people would prefer q3a over UT :)

"~eh: this is boring. does anyone want to play some UT?
R*pimp69: fuk you man. ut sucks
~eh: so i take you've never played UT before.
R*pimp69: don need to bitch. look at this tight graphics"

*sigh*

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Pff. If I was a graphics nut (thus, all I cared about was graphics and not gameplay), I'd be Q3 all the way. It is sickeningly good looking on my Radeon 64MB DDR...better than UT.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
that's weird...i have the exact same card as you do, but i think q3a is aboslute crap compared to UT. i do like some of the models though, like bones :) and maybe it has better specular effects, but other than that... i find it as brown as all the other quakes.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Originally posted by NiftyBoy
that's weird...i have the exact same card as you do, but i think q3a is aboslute crap compared to UT. i do like some of the models though, like bones :) and maybe it has better specular effects, but other than that... i find it as brown as all the other quakes.

IN DEFENSE OF q3.
Brown?? Did you say BROWN?? Man, I don't see much brown in my Q3. Blues, Yellows, Red, Greens. I think they did a good job of getting away from thier Brown-ish palette of old.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Eh look people, I don'l like q3 either.. the gameplay that is..
but the engine? Sorry, the engine/graphics = good!
I mean, look at all the new games in progress, who are based on the q3 engine..
Why rave about which graphics are better? Ut's or q3's..
(btw No one mentioned serious sam here...)

OF course UT graphics are fantastic.. but just because the Q3 gameplay sucks, doesn't mean the graphics are bad...
another perfect example of the capabilities of the Q3engine:

Elite force.

Nuff said.

Btw: Unreal2 screenshots = mind boggling good :)

Big giB

Keep out of reach of children.
Jul 28, 2000
BC, Canada
Visit site
ENgines great, it's the textures that are ugly. Way too reddish greyish industrial type and gothic stuff. Played the PS2 version and didn't see a path of green ANYWHERE! It was really sad, as if they nuked the world or something. Also, the weapons could be a bit more detailed, like the shotgun and rocket launcher. It's basically a pipe with a few notches in/on them. Same with the crappy minigun :p Basically all the weapons look so plain. If u want to look at something tasty, play DM-ArcaneTemple and VandorasTemply in Unreal. Basically, any of Shane Caudle's maps :)

tkip

Feb 26, 2000
Visit site
To be honest with you, Quake Arena does look...

Better than UT. The textures for the walls, ceilings, those incredible curves and the models. They all look fantasic! Not to say that UT looks bad but compared to Quake, its a smidge below in the eye-candy department. UT does have more variety in its gameplay and options and the bots are way more difficult but I cannot get past Quake having the better graphics. And this new Radeon card makes the rocket smoke look even juicier. But, Return To Castle Wolfenstein is just around the corner and its graphics are amazing!! Saw a movie showcasting scenes of actual gameplay. INCREDIBLE!! And now, Quake 4 is announced that will use the new Doom engine.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
those "curves" are nothing more than regular polygons with gradient shading. the same thing exists in UT.

see?
UTcurve.jpg

its exactly the same in Q3A except the 'curve' is subdivided more.

and i do agree that the primary problems with q3a's visuals are the textures and weapon models. the player models are pretty neat.

also, its not really fair to compare UT to games that arent even released yet, because, naturally, they'll have better technology.

JJaX

Sup Big Perm, I mean Worm
Mar 23, 2001
NJ
www.thedirtydozenclan.com
Since we are on the topic of QUAKE....Does anyone know if GAMESPY still has a PooP load of servers for QUAKE 1.
IMHO QUAKE 1 was the best, besides UT that is :)

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Yeah, Quake 1 does ROCK. The halflife thing was pretty cool, too, though. You're right NO CTF, but I bet it's in the works.

**We pulled out the old DOOM2 at our LAN party this weekend.** It was nostalgia night. MAN did we have fun!
I still think the Doom Guys dying scream is the best there is.
Did you ever get to play Generations for Quake 2?? Before it was pulled? That was AWESOME. Would have been the best mod. id stopped them cold, though. Although, I've heard a few people got it before it was pulled down.
:) :p :)

Seph64

Jul 7, 2001
Visit site
Re: To be honest with you, Quake Arena does look...

Originally posted by tkip
And now, Quake 4 is announced that will use the new Doom engine.

There isn't going to be a Quake 4. John Carmack even said so.

Status
Not open for further replies.