Will UW kill U2 Multiplayer?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
I wonder if Epicgames is making a mistake by having Legend make Unreal2. No I absolutely love Legend's work and the shots they have wowed us with.
icon6.gif

But if they release U2 in summer 2002 and UW in winter 2002 (PCGamer), before U2 Mp has a chance to even set up a proper online community UW will come along and kill it. And worse the inevitable comparisons will come up - which mp is better U2 or UW.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Well U2 is primarily designed to be a killer SP game so one shouldn't really be worried about UW kicking U2's butt in the MP segment. Besides I believe there will be more than 6-month gap between the 2 since polishing up a good MP experience will take Epic a long time since the game has to offer more than what we've already seen in this genre. U2 MP will have its few moments in the sun though shorter than usual. Its OK you can't win at everything.
Also I imagine there will be a certain amount of back compatibility between the two, like U2's maps being playable in UW, stuff like that.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Why would it?
I believe U2 will be released in the first quartal of 2002..
and if people will be that stupid to ignore the probably great mp part on unreal2 when uw will be released.. :hmm:

Ah damn, U2 will be SP orientated!!!!! Get used to it!!! :D

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I understand that U2 is coming along rather nicely. With Epic handling the engine, and Legend providing the content (along with some of their own custom code), I'd be surprised to see U2 ship any later than the first quarter of '02.

And I'm sure Epic will release UW in such a way as to not cannibalize on the sales of U2.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
I dont think unreal 2 will be a good multiplayer game anyways, it is being made manly for single player. there not going to put much into multiplayer I dont think. Unreal warefare will be the online unreal 2.

Mind Maze

May 6, 2001
Visit site
U2 multiplayer is going to be more like an regular UT (just a guess, after announce that U2 will bundle with CTF, AS, etc). UW won´t be a improved UT but rather a much more bigger multiplayer experience, maybe a virtually World War.

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Originally posted by Coffe fan
U2 multiplayer is going to be more like an regular UT (just a guess, after announce that U2 will bundle with CTF, AS, etc). UW won´t be a improved UT but rather a much more bigger multiplayer experience, maybe a virtually World War.

Probably. I saw a screenshot in an old issue of PCG that showed a facing CTF map in a snowy area. Nothing new here.

Will miss Xceptone's maps badly :(. not too sure if I will plunk down f/ cash for the XBox.

Back on topic..............

U2 MP will kick ass no matter. but its going in the right direction. I couldnt agree with Warren Spector more when he says that the single player experience has hardly been explored in games.

with epic handling the engine the programmers must have a lot of time on their hands - hope it goes into Ai and mod support :).

Wh0racle

GF3 r0xx0rz j00!!!
Jul 24, 2001
Sykkylven, Norway
i thought U2 CTF would be much like a mix between normal CTF and Tribes 2 CTF.

I mean... multiplay classes and different functions.
Grunts: soldier
Techs: engineer
Spooks: spies and special forces...

its gonna rock!!

the~oreca

Retired.
Jul 10, 2000
NB, Canada
U2 and UW are two different kind of games IMO
It depends what you'll like, UW is more "hardcore" like Q3
and U2 will probably hang more like UT.

Status