raise the size limit on the avatars

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
Theres a avatar I want to use and I cant use it because its like 30k. Can you raise the limit to like 100k? Thats not that much. We arent on modems anymore, I think we can handle a 30k file in a post. :)

Hellbilly

Fully recovered Ex-Evercrack player
May 6, 2000
Somewhere in upstate NY
There's still a lot of 56k users out there. They may not all be registered members here at PUF, but they still come here to get info and tips on this forum.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
does 100k really effect you that much on a modem with loading a image?

and another thing. is there some way I can decompress the size? what should I save the image as?

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
well the one I want to use is like 38. And just because the avatars havent loaded yet doesnt mean the whole site hasnt loaded. The forum itself is loaded way before any of those avatars and images for me, because its smaller. unless someone decideds to use huge color letters or 1000000000 smiles then thats a different story :D

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
I have a DSL connection, and even I don't want 100K avatars.

Hell, I still think the total limit on sig images should be 30K.

The more and larger images a single page has, the worse off for Internet Explorer's cache handling, which results in the slowdown Hal noticed, regardless of your connection speed.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Aren't the avatars stored on PU's server. If so lets do some math.
Let's say if (atm) all 24459 users had 15kb avatars. Thats ~367mb in avatars. This is unlikely but could be possible in the early future w/ 2 new Unreal games in the wurks

dEAdly_sIn

kIng_0f_hEAdsh0tz and Leader of Clan -=IFH=-
Jul 24, 2001
USA
www.crosswinds.net
56k'er here

Yes, 100k would be a lot for me to get, and if 10 people had that, it would take me about 3 minutes to view the page.....Hell, my ave. trnsfer rate is 2.5 kpbs, and my max was 3.6.....How sad is that?
-----=====-----
Will someone donate a computer to me?
deadlysin@blazemail.com
sIn

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
There's irony in the fact that you're complaining about the posibility of a 100K avatar, yet attached a 143K sig image that will be redownloaded every time someone visits this thread.

FYI: Attached images do not get stored in cache, unlike linked images.

dEAdly_sIn

Jul 24, 2001
USA
www.crosswinds.net
Reason why

I'm at work on a T-3, so I could care less, but when I get home in a few minutes, I'll be kicking my self in my ass because of the attached image.....
sIn

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Re: Reason why

Originally posted by dEAdly_sIn
I'm at work on a T-3, so I could care less, but when I get home in a few minutes, I'll be kicking my self in my ass because of the attached image.....
sIn

No, but we certainly care.... in fact i got so bored of waiting for this page to load (thanks to your pretty picture) I went and watched a movie... and im not bullshitting :)

dEAdly_sIn

Jul 24, 2001
USA
www.crosswinds.net
Sorry.....

Sorry about the stupid image.....I waited 4 minutes for this page to load, and it's 100% my fault.....
To the guy above me:rolleyes: :
Hope it was a good movie.....
sIn

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Fs, ive 65k is nothing....
And anyway.. it should be precached by now...

Oh, and we could look at your sigs FS... lots of individual sigs that wont all be precached... youve got 5 of them at 15k each... thats a total of 75k to download so dont start on me ;)

:p

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
what would be a good numer then? how about 15k at least I think would be a acceptable number. if your modem cant even handle that then you shouldnt even be going to this site. just get AOL and stick with the chat rooms there. :rolleyes:

lets just face the facts here, modem users are being a minority now, and broadband users are still having to put up with there lack of speed and the problems they face are becoming our problems to. like when downloading things from servers. that modem user trying to download that 100mb file is insane and is taking up bandwith.

in my opionion if your connection cant handle this site or you dont want to put up with it you shouldnt be here.