Movers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gibdo

Jul 18, 2001
Visit site
I might as well start a new thread for some mover questions too. :p

1. How do I make a door that swings open when touched from one side, but swings the other way when touched from the other side? (Like the doors in Undying)

2. Once I set the key frames of a mover, It moves the appropriate way, but maybe I wish to change it, or make it not move at all. How would I reset them, so it won't move at all?

3. The doors I make that swing open, don't correctly open. They end up looking as if they move back a little into the wall, then swing. I know movers should have space to move. But, only one corner touches the the corner of the wall. Did I do something wrong?:eek:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
1. I'd say use an elevator-type mover: one that you can send to a specific keypoint with different triggers.
then use 2 trigger actors, one on each side of the door. the mover then has 3 keypoints.
you also need to tell the mover to be at rest in the middle position.

2. use the context menu to send the mover into the keyframe you want to change. move the brush. select that keypoint again to record the new position......... at least that's what I remember :)

3. look carefully at the position of the pivot point: that little red cross. that's the centre of rotation. if you want to move it, right-click in empty space and select 'place pivot snapped here'. the ALT-drag it to where you want it.

ZodiaK

irresponsible walrus
Feb 14, 2000
onboard The Mothership
ameba.lpt.fi
mr. Wey's DM-Falkenstein uses a small script for two-way swinging doors. if i remember correctly, you can use it if you credit him in the readme (not absolutely sure - check falkenstein's readme).

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
2. If you don't want it to move then set the NumKeys to 0 in the mover properties. (Or Object-Initialstate to None)

Or turn it into a regular brush. :)

Gibdo

Jul 18, 2001
Visit site
It doesn't hurt to ask so...:p

I never understood keypoints. Tutorials I read just tell me what to do and never explain why. So when I tell a mover to have 3 keypoints and the middle position is at rest. How do I do that, what key frame is the rest position? 0? Could someone explain them to me then?:eek:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I think a lot of people find keypoints confusing, me included :)
I once read a tute that put it like this:

think of the menu kepoint command as 'recording' the current position in that slot.

so, AFAIK, selecting a new keypoint from the menu if you haven't moved the brush places the mover in that position.
selecting a keypoint if you HAVE moved the brush records the current position into that slot.
(emphasis on the AFAIK bit!!!!)

as for the Elevator mover type, that was just a wild guess on my part -- it seems logical that the elevator mover should have an initial keyframe, so an elevator can start at the middle floor and go either down or up. I can't check this since I don't have UEd here. I might be completely wrong, but check the properties, I imagine it'll be specific to the Elevator, so it'll be under that section.

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
Let me try to explain this clearly, I need practice answering questions! :D

When you create a mover, all of its keypoints, or positions, are right there where the mover is. If you want it to move to a single different spot, you first select the keypoint you want to change, keypoint 1(the second one). Now you can move the mover to wherever you want, and its new position is keypoint 1. Now if you select KP 0, You will see the mover in its original position. By selecting the second KP, you will see that the editor remembered where you left it when KP 1 was selected before. When you change a KP in this way, the properties are automaticaly modified to accomodate the number of KPs you have modified.

How did I do? :rolleyes: