my new system

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
i am soon going to order a new computer. it will be here when i get home from greece in about 3 weeks time. this is my first PC, until now i have been using macs. i just want some comments on what i have decided to get, especially the vid card. is it worth getting a geforce 2 pro over the GTS, the difference i can see is 64MB card over a 32MB one. here are the specs of the computer i plan on ordering:

AMD Duron 900 MHz

320MB RAM (long story, you get 64 meg with computerm cheaper to get another 256 from somewhere else rather than upgrade with computer)

Geforce 2 pro 64MB (or GTS, really not sure about this)

Soundblaster 128

also i am getting a cdr and 30gig hd, and a NIC.

This system is going to be mainly for playing games. i am jhust posting here to find out what people think of it, kindof unsure about pc systems, i am kindof thinking 900mhz is slow compared to vid card and ram and such, should i go for cheaper graphics card to upgrade to a 1ghz processor, or shoudld i stick with the geforce 2 pro? i dont want to start a flame war about what is better (that 3dfx Nvidia thread) i just want to know if what i have a is a good system for playing games.

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
I too am making the switch from Mac to PC:( in a month or so. I have been doing alot of research, and the cheapest prices i have found for AMD are at CyberPower. I am thinking about getting the AMD 1.4 ghz, 512 mb ddr ram, and the Geforce3, and with their special right now, I can get it for around $1600. Alien does build good systems, especially for gaming, but they are expensive.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I would have picked a AMD Athlon Thunderbird instead of a AMD Athlon Duron. The Duron is a cheaper (and somewhat crippled) version of the Thunderbird.

If you want to have the best price/performance : get a CPU with the second best clockspeed. That will last the longest (ie you won't need to upgrade as soon) than your version, but it won't cost as much as the top-of-the line models. At that speed your setup should last 2-3 years.

The 900 Duron is already outdated, expect to see performance problems with games released in this year ... ie : You won't be able to run current games at max. resolution & detailsettings.

HDD size is pretty good, but speed is important too.
Look for one which does 7200 rpm & supports UDMA 100, then the HDD won't slow you down that much.

Battosai

The Great Southern Thread Killer
Jun 6, 2001
Roaming
Acutually the Duron is just about as fast as the Thunderbird. Plus you can overclock the Duron 800mhz to a 1.0Ghz Its what i got. And from what i have been told at the computer stores is that the GTS has been discontinued by Nvidia.

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
mine is coming from simply. in the uk i have found a limited choice in dealers who will sell parts to build your own pc. plus i am on a budget and have found this is a very good system for the price i am getting. at least it is here.

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999
pfah!

hehe, this is what I spent my hard earned cash on recently:

1.33 ADM Athlon T-Bird
Uwin (or is it Iwin) Motherboard that supports RAID for athlon and DDR
512 DDR RAM
GeForce 3 from Elsa
2x 40 gig HDs 7200 RPM .7 mbit transfer ( i think)

I can cannibalize this from my old computer

Sound Blaster live
PleXor burner 8x
21 inch viewsonic monitor
all the other needed crap
and its hooked up to my cable :D

I should be getting all my parts in about 1-2 weeks now.
yeah, I think I'm ready for some new games :)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
those are pretty speedy systems when compared to ...

My (main) PC :
- AMD Athlon Thunderbird 800 MHz
- 512 Mb Ram (recently upgraded)
- GeForce 256 Graphics *
- 17" Philips Monitor (Good, but no IIyama :()
- Terratec Pro Soundcard
- Plextor CD-ReWriter
- AOpen DVD-Rom
- 40Gb UDMA 100 HDD
- 20Gb HDD
- RealTek PCI 10Mbit networkcard (connected to another PC which connects to the internet with a cablemodem)

*) Considering games like Max Payne & the fact that I can't run Inf at the same resolution as normal UT (800x600 16-bit vs 1024x768 32bit) an upgrade is somewhere on my to-do-list :)