how to play UT (client) with Multiple gateways/routers???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scheeler1

Jul 13, 2001
atlanta
Visit site
Situation (at work) :
we have one 56K leased line (always on) with bay networks router used to connect our local office to other remote offices email etc (10.22.xxx.1). THIS HAS TO BE USED AS OUR DEFAULT GATEWAY, on our win98 boxes. We also have a ADSL line and router/NAT box. This is for our internet access/ ftp downloads. We have an NT4 server running Proxy+ (which hosts web proxy, ftp proxy, socks proxy etc.) Our win 98 workstations have proxy internet access through NT box, which routes us through the DSL Router.

Problem:

Getting UT to access internet through NT proxy and DSL, and not go through the 56K leased line!!!

Quake 3 Arena has a nifty section in config file where you can enable socks proxy and point to proxy server ip and port (see below):

seta net_socksPassword "xxxxx"
seta net_socksUsername "xxxxx"
seta net_socksPort "1080"
seta net_socksServer "10.22.xxx.11"
seta net_socksEnabled "1"

IT WORKS GREAT - surely there has to be a way to "Route" UT through the DSL in a similar fashion!?!?!?!?!?!? REMEMBER, i cannot just change my default gateway to the DSL router. I have full admin control of everything in our office (NT, Proxy server, DSL Router, workstations) BUT not the BAY Networks router (thats the main office's) BUT I shouldnt need that!

I have been searching hi and low for this Hope someone can help

In the unrealtournament.ini these are the only 2 references to Proxy stuff:

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True

This section looks like where to do downloads through.

[UBrowser.UBrowserHTTPClient]
ProxyServerAddress=10.22.xxx.11
ProxyServerPort=1080

This section seems like where to tell the UT Server Browser to go through the proxy...as you can see i have tried 1080 our socks port but it requires a username and password (see Quake3 config.cfg above, it has a place for password,etc). Are there hidden command lines like: ProxyServerEnable=True ???

Thanks

Hammer][1][

Sep 11, 2000
Right Here
Visit site
??????????

I'm from Dublin, Ga. and have DSL also. I was thinking about setting up a server too. But my buddy thats one of the webmasters here in Dublin said I couldn't because BellSouth keeps switching your ISP address to keep people like us from running servers! Hope this helps.

Scheeler1

Jul 13, 2001
atlanta
Visit site
We have a static IP address from BellSouth (pay extra for it too :-( ) But we are not trying to host a server behind the DSL, we are trying to connect to other WWW servers thru the DSL , but thru a proxy server, due to above mentioned problem.
thanks anyways,

Does anyone know where UT looks for the defaulty gateway?? maybe i can edit the code or something (like an ini file?)

Thanks.

Scheeler1

Jul 13, 2001
atlanta
Visit site
Allow me to rephrase the QUESTION....

Does anyone know how to get UT to use a different default gateway, other than the default gateway setting in network configuration on a win 98 machine???

OR...

Has anybody got the proxy settings in the UnrealTournament.ini to work! please tell me how!!!

FOR EXAMPLE:

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True

[UBrowser.UBrowserHTTPClient]
ProxyServerAddress=10.22.xxx.11
ProxyServerPort=1080

What do you put as ports and how setup proxy server?

OR...

Who can tell me what the above section is supposed to do???

Thanks

LittleFlower

Jun 14, 2000
NL
www.fce2.de
Never heard of UT proxies.

AFAIK UT just makes use from the IP stack like any other application. If you point default to that Bay box, you get what you ask for. So my solution would be: don't point default to the Bay box.

So you say you can't do that. Why ? Because then you can't reach your internal network anymore ?

By configuring a default gateway you tell the IP stack on your box how *all* destinations on the Internet can be reached (including your own internal network). But there is no need to route all your traffic via the default gateway. You can route certaint traffic one way, while routing other traffic via another way. Use the "route add" command for that. Not sure how that work on a Windows box, but I believe the command is "route". Try it out and it will probably tell you the options. (Don't have a Win box handy here). With the "netstat -rn" command you can see the resulting routing table. If you know the IP addresses in your internal network, you can point default to the ADSL router, and configure specific routes to the IP addresses in the internal network via the Bay. If you don't know the IP addresses of your internal network, but you know the IP addresses of your favorite servers (look inside UnrealTournament.ini for your favorites), then you can do the opposite. Point default to the Baybox, and configure specific routes to your favorite servers via the ADSL router.

I hope your ADSL router does NAT. If not, then your packets will reach the Internet with source IP addresses from your internal network. And then all hosts on the Internet will try to reach you via the 56K link. Beware. The best solution for that problem would be to enable NAT on your DSL router.

Hope this helps.

Scheeler1

Jul 13, 2001
atlanta
Visit site
Thanks, we'll try to do some route adds..

yes the DSL router does NAT, and its on. Or DSL router has where we can set a static route to our intranet and it works with a tracert but pcAnywhere wont connect. oh well...question, when you do a route add, is that specific to the win98 box you did it on? or wil that try to add the route to the bay networks router?
Thanks.