Pain ß1!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
YAAARGH!
I just gave you some mega detailed feedback, then the forum ate it! :stick:
here's a brief run down....

Poison Launcher: cool, but grenade doesn't fire unless I press alt then primary

NitroSquirtgun: I like the functionality, but the playerviewmesh looks ugly and the nitro vials need reskinning so I don't mix them up with health.

Painful Rifle: Sadistic fun at its fionest. Love the scope texture. Shoot 'em in the leg! One bug though... you shoot 'em in the leg (or get shot there) you fall uber slow off ledges and such.

PainfulShotgun: Nice Reskin, seems a bit too powerful sometimes. I've got no idea for an alt at this time.

Sparker: I was just thinking someone should make one of these. I like it, but think it needs a more different alt.

Overall: Nice work. Fix a few things and do a couple more nice reskins and you'll be scoring pretty high with Pain. :)

Last edited:

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Squish di fish!

When that happens, punch the forum in da stomach several times in quick succession until it throws it back up.

A4PL: Did you not read the readme!? That's how it's supposed to work! It simply loads a grenade. Then you have to fire it, and it loads up a dart again. I think I'll use Dragonflymatthew's idea of making it display what type of projectile is loaded.
EDIT: It now always says "Loaded: type of projectile loaded" near the bottom of the screen.

Nitroglycerine SG: Do you mean I should find a different mesh for the gun, or just reskin everything (which I was planning to do w/ the vial, weapon, and projectile)?

Painful Rifle: Dragonfly just told me about that on ICQ. I'm about to fix it right now.
EDIT: Okay, you don't fall slow now (it only adjusts your velocity on the Z axis if you're going up), but it still doesn't check to see if you running or anything, so if someone hits you with the impact hammer and you've been shot in the leg, you won't fly as far.

Painful Shotgun: It might be a bit too powerful. Maybe I'll lower the # of pellets to make it less effetive at longer ranges.

Sparker: Neuroflare told me that too. I still don't know what I'm gonna do, though...
EDIT: What if it shot just like primary, only the sparks wouldn't fade out when they hit the ground? Instead, they'd pile up on top of each other, making a big pile of sparks that would kill anyone who ran into them (They'd fade out when someone touched them).

Last edited:

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
A4PL: oops.... guess I didn't read that

Nitro: I mean the teeny bio rifle floating mid screen looks kinda crappy. I think the model choice is ok though.

Rifle: goody its fixed.... the impact hammer thing is fine as long as people fall at the right speed

SG: a few less pellets would work.

Sparker: the alt sounds good.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
eeEEEE!!

A4PL: Haw, I win! The text display does help, though.

Nitro: I just noticed that while reskinning all the nitro related items (which is now complete, BTW). I don't know how that happened, but it's fixed.

Rifle: Actually, I haven't tested it (I can't shoot myself...), but it should work.

Shotgun: I think I'll make it fire 13 instead of 15 (!), and increase the spread a bit. If those sound small, they are. Shotguns should be powerful.

Sparker: After I make the shotgun adjustments, I'll do that. I think that'll be enough changes for an update, do not you agree? Expect an update later (in a few hours most likely) today.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Stuff!

Pain ß1.0625 si out! Look at the updated first post!

RamdoleKang, I gotta opologise. The description of the A4PL in the old readme was slightly flawed, so even if you had read it, you still woulda been confused. Sorry 'bout that. It's fixed now.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
Kangus

geesh.... I gotta get a new forum account so people quit calling me by my extended handle....
it's Kangus, the guy who runs WoD....
Speaking of which, let me know when Pain is ready for public consumption and I'll p1mp it on WoD and upload it to the FTP.

I'm grabbing the updated Pain as we speak.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Wierdness.

Fine, I shall call you Kangus.
Uh, While experimenting with stuff, the rifle went back to an older version of itself and I had to redo a bunch of stuff, and I don't know if that happened before or after the ß1.0625 so make sure you check that for me.

Edit:
Dah, I just looked at the first post and noticed that it still had the ß1 .zip for d/l. It definitly has the right one now. If you didn't d/l the .zip titled Painß1.0625, get that one.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
bad news Smokey.... the file above is the same damn file as before. All the modified on dates are the same and nothing has changed.... please repost the file! me want some Pain!

[Edit]
hmmmm.... the file avalable changed right after Iposted this..... go fig.
off to pain

Last edited:

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
Instead of the biorifle...

Instead of the biorifle, you could remodel a glock or something to look like one of those cheap squirtguns you get in drugstores! That'd be humorous AND cool. And have it throw the squirtgun as a secondary, and it blow up with the amount of ammo you had left in it. That'd add a WHOLE NEW element of fun, at least in my opinion.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
NeuroFlare's got a pretty good idea with the thrwoing the squirtgun thing.

RE: the Shotgun. It feels much more balanced now. The increased spread made a definite difference without hurting its short range lethalness.... You need to increase the shotgun's collision radius so it doesn't go into walls though

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Well menure the bear!

I'm not exactly sure how I'd make you chuck da gun. I don't know how I'd make that actually get rid of the gun. And then what would I do w/ the vial grenade I already made? I know about the shotgun's hitbox, I'll go fix it. It sounds like I might be getting ready to really release Pain for review an' stuff soon.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
maybe something roughly kinda sorta like this:

function ChuckGun()
{
local tossedgun AGun;

AGun = Spawn(class'tossedgun', blah, blah......);
AGun.powerlevel = Ammo.AmmoAmount;

Destroy();
}

dunno how well that'll work.... just pulled it out of the air there.

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
To throw a gun to pick up again you go tossweapon(); I think. Look in the code and see how it deals with you losing the gun.

What I would do is in your gun subclass the tossweapon or dropfrom function (I'm not sure what its called) and in that function set bgonnablow=true

Now, do 2 things - make the weapon so when it hits the ground and its gonna blow, it blows up. And you might want to make it so when you try and pick it up and its gonna blow it dosen't let you.

Actually, dont - make it so you can pick it up. But if you fire when bgonnablow is true....... (Insert graphic picture of chunks of meat here)

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
yeah, well he could do it that way too. But I'm betting he'd have to do a lot less coding if he made a projectile that looked like the gun and destroyed the gun when it was used. Otherwise he has to override the pickup functions, deal with the gun's actual physics and so forth and so on.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Blarmywoopa

I like Kangus' way better. I'll just edit my existing grenade a bit. This has to blow up incredibly huge, though, since you lose all your ammo, and your weapon (assuming you have a decent amount of ammo). Any other bugs/suggestions for any other guns? What do you think of the Sparker's new alt fire? Oh yeah, I couldn't fish the shotgun's clipping problem. It's mean! I'll keep trying new things every time I test other weapons, though. I'm also sticking an enhanced version of the Izu in Pain. It's pretty cool.

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
Nooo... use my way, its more logical. I mean, do we destroy the gun and spawn a projectile, or just use the exisiting gun...
Its gotta be faster or something... actually, my way does add unneccesary complications. Oh well, I'll have to do it myself now.

I don't think it should be any more powerful than a redeemer blast.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
dropfrom, have a go to a state with a delay and the explosion code

sort of liek the sabatoge i worked on
(if you droped the gun, and someone else picked it up and tried to fire it, kaboom, only if you activated the sabatoge)

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Nose!

It won't be bigger than a Redemer blast. Oh yeah, I'm thinking of making Pain replace the chainsaw pickup w/ a jackhammer. Does that sound good?

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Pain ß1.125!

Pain ß1.125 is out! Yay! Go get it at da top!
Edit: It really is now.

Last edited: