PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2 system requirements

Cpl. Shepard
10th Jul 2001, 12:14 AM
Oh. My. God. I just read my first preview of U2. The scope of the game Legend is making is awe-inspiring. And we can't forget, of course, the graphics. I took a close look at all of them and my eyes popped out of their sockets. After making sure they were securely and snugly back in my head, I began thinking how this game may actually dethrone Half-Life and Freespace 2 as my favorite single-player game of all time. Considering how avid of a SP gamer I am, that's quite a feat.

One nasty thing stands between me and U2 however. Yeah, an actual computer. Just thinking about what it would take to get U2 to run at a decent resolution with all effects turned up sparks a headache that doesn't go away until I drink lots and lots of maple syrup (don't ask).

So, here comes that dreadful question. What do you think U2's system requirements are going to be? (don't give me that official BS you think'll be printed on the bottom of the box; instead, give your realistic estimate)

ravenus
10th Jul 2001, 12:06 PM
I don't know about official BS but according to the guys at Legend all the shots that have been seen to date is from footage done on PIII machines with GeForce1/2 cards.
That's pretty reasonable considering its for a game that's not due for quite a few months.

Tetris L
10th Jul 2001, 01:09 PM
The official FAQ (http://www.unreal2.com/faq.html) says:

Q. What will be the recommended system requirements to play the game?

A. Unreal II will look stunning on high-end systems, but you should be able to play the game just fine on a P2/450 with a first generation GeForce card.

Well .... "just fine" is probably a lie. It will run, if you disable all eye candy and run it at 640x480, but it will look like crap.
If you want nice visuals, then you'll probably need at least a 1 GHz CPU and a GF2 gfx card or simular.

Cpl. Shepard
11th Jul 2001, 03:04 PM
That's what I was afraid of. I know what they said about the machines they were running on now, but I find it hard to believe that the system specs won't increase as they make improvements to the graphics.

ravenus
12th Jul 2001, 03:42 AM
The graphics already look mighty improved to me.

The fact that they'd be delegating a lot of the world geometry and rendering to the T&L capabilities of the graphics card may account for CPU reqs not drastically up. Remember that this feature has not yet been properly tapped in current games, except maybe sacrifice, giants etc.
I think any system that plays these games well today should be able to handle U2 comfortably.
RAM will probably be an issue. 128MB is minimum, I think for this baby.

-[BHS]-Firewall
15th Jul 2001, 02:02 AM
im guessing a GF2 and 1Ghz cpu w/ 256 mb ram will be able to run U2 with T&L on of course (for a 1024x768 res with everything else maxed out)

anything you read in a preview that says runs fine @ blah blah is bs

for minimum reqs, it all depends on the person :) (ie ppl do play UT on P200 cpus with very old vid cards)

Coffe fan
16th Jul 2001, 12:26 AM
U2 minimum guesses:

-CPU 500mhz, cheap nowdays
-3D card, 16MB models should be able to run (GF256 wonīt be able to run all T&Ls comparing to GF2 and next generation ones)
-system ram, here I think 32MB will be unplayable and with 64 disk swaps comparable to UT with 32MB.

U2 ultimate:

-CPU around 600-800mhz, again with CPUs reaching 2ghz, still not that expensive.
-3D card, models with 32MB and T&L should be able to run with most features turned on.
-system ram, since UT need 128 to play smooth all the time I think 128 should be enough with some swaps perhaps.

Not menthioning configurations with low end CPU and lots of RAM, super fast CPU with a averange TNT2, bla bla blah.

PS: I donīt know how T&L will be supported in U2 and how much this thing in U2 will freely the CPU usage, and how many of the features from top level 3D cards U2 will take advantage.

Flare123
16th Jul 2001, 02:55 PM
as long as it doesnt turn out like anarchyonline. :D

recommend system specs for that game:

1.7ghz athlon
512mb ram
GeForce 3
t1 internet connection
pantients to put up with all the bull**** and bugs from funcom. :D

and even with those recommended requirements the game still runs horrible.

Cpl. Shepard
16th Jul 2001, 11:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I guess you've restored my confidence somewhat; I thought I was going to have to sell my house to play this game. I even had a nice big cardboard box all set up that you can comfortably turn around in....uh, anyways, it's nice knowing I won't have to spend thousands on a $40 game. As I see it, it looks like I'll need a new motherboard, processor, 3D card, and a little more RAM, but I've been surfing around the web and the price for an Athlon 800Mhz isn't what it once was. This isn't going to come easy, but the previews for Unreal 2 have made me regain faith in PC gaming right when I was about to give up on it. With a little help from Jedi Knight II, of course. :D

Coffe fan
17th Jul 2001, 12:22 AM
T1 line to play online? Lags up to 350 are playable but not as good as 100-. Low end PCs gets astronomic lags with extra large maps even with T3. (huh?! How many people actually have T3 and low end PCs?)

Depending on how good is your connection from your ISP to your house, 33.6k modem can get very low lags. UT code supports even 28.8kbs modems, the real problem was that internet started sharing the telephone lines, so in most cases cable, DSL, T lines r the best bet.

NeoNite
18th Jul 2001, 06:19 PM
I saw an ingame pic of Aida today..
I was blown away by her good looks :eek:
Really, the detail.. that face. Hey, it makes Lara croft look eh.. boring :D (the older l.c. that is)

thoughtcontrol
22nd Jul 2001, 09:00 AM
Oh dear. My computer struggles with UT @ 640x480!!!

ravenus
22nd Jul 2001, 09:36 AM
what's your config thoughtcontrol?
Anything above a PII 450 with 64MB RAM and a bare-bones 3d card (4 to 8MB RAM) should be able to run UT smoothly (at 16-bit color and medium detail) I should think.
If your system matches this, I'd suggest you look at what programs are running in the background (antivirus, e-mail client blah blah) when you start up the game.

Big giB
22nd Jul 2001, 02:11 PM
LOLl, I get 10 FPS in UT, think would be able to run Unreal2? :P

Wh0racle
25th Jul 2001, 10:03 AM
10 fps? damn! what sys specs do you have? I have a pIII 500, 128 mb sdram and a tnt2 and i can sometimes get over 100 per second! thats with 16 bit colors, opengl, medium skin detail 1024x768....

ravenus
25th Jul 2001, 12:17 PM
Probably close to one of the systems that I've played UT on
P266 MMX, 32MB RAM, 2MB PCI card
Software mode, 400 x 300 (windowed), Medium world detail, Low skin detail
I couldn't seriously think of playing any map that was made for more than 5-6 bots :o

dEAdly_sIn
25th Jul 2001, 02:32 PM
Haven't you read ANYTHING about Unreal ][? You can't run it in software because there is no software rendering mode! Anyway, I'm going to need a new pc because my P/2 with ATI Rage 128 Pro card won't run {at least, i don't think it will}.....
sIn

hashpipe
25th Jul 2001, 03:25 PM
Well i am going to start sving now for a new computer. by the time UT2 comes out i will go out and buy a new computer a week after u2 release. that way i will have a pretty good jump on what to avoid from all your forum complaints =). (noone in particular, i will post my own complaints)

WildfireX2000
25th Jul 2001, 05:00 PM
I fully intend to run Unreal 2 on 1024x768x32x32xmax detail on my current computer. Nothing can stop that now :p.

And I'm getting this computer for FREE too...mmm...

Wh0racle
26th Jul 2001, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by WildfireX2000
I fully intend to run Unreal 2 on 1024x768x32x32xmax detail on my current computer. Nothing can stop that now :p.

And I'm getting this computer for FREE too...mmm...

free? work related?

ravenus
27th Jul 2001, 12:18 PM
hey maybe wildfire works for raven
they're getting dell 1.7Ghz systems with 512 MB ram and GF3's
Lucky dudes.
of course they deserve it

Cpl. Shepard
28th Jul 2001, 06:56 PM
Those Raven employees must be in heaven now. I imagine I'll be 58 years old before I can afford a PC like that. Assuming I live that long.

WildfireX2000
28th Jul 2001, 07:12 PM
No, not work related(well sorta)
Let's just say I know someone who knows someone who...etc.

I bet even my current computer could run it.
P3/600 mHz, 128MB RAM(PC-133), GeForce DDR. See, its special. It scores 2000+ in 3DMark 2K1... :).

LiveWire
29th Jul 2001, 08:44 PM
700 mHz Celeron
512 MB RAM
32 MB Radeon
Cable Modem
Crystal Audio Codec
TIME TO OVERCLOCK :) !

TWD
30th Jul 2001, 11:44 PM
Actually i've been a bit of reading on this and I belive you would need this to run Unreal2 at a decent speed

700-1ghz cpu
For optimal peformance a GeForce3 they said that u2 is utalizing geforce3 technology along with directx8 tech
128 megs ram if you want it to be totally smooth
4X cd-rom nobody has ever needed more

hal
31st Jul 2001, 06:11 AM
'decent speed' is pretty subjective.

IntRed
1st Aug 2001, 04:34 AM
well, don't know, it will probably be like max payne, to much exageration of system requirements, they sead you'll need a 550 min, now it appears you can run it on a 400 tnt2
so i have no fear of the requirements of u2

me pIII 600 128 gf2mx will be ready

clicker
2nd Sep 2001, 02:58 PM
800 mhz Duron. 256MEG RAM, VOODOO 3 3000 PCI Video Card (16 MEG) Will I be able to tuen graphics all the way up with 800x600 resolution? What is T & L?

Deathwing
3rd Sep 2001, 04:07 AM
Clicker, with that comp, you'll probably do fine. The only problem might be that old video card you have. 800x600 actually isn't that good though, so I don't think you'll be too disappointed. :)

ravenus
3rd Sep 2001, 09:50 AM
Um clicker you have a problem here.
U2 at least in its first release requires a video card that can handle T&L - Transformation and Lighting, functions that deal with map geometry and lighting calculations which earlier to the GeForce were the sole responsibility of the CPU. Things get much more optimized and faster when the card deals with this thereby able to have much more detailed rendering as U2 promises.
The Warfare engine which powers U2 is designed from ground up for T&L cards, so although you have an otherwise nice set you'll have to get a T&L capable card especially since Glide support is out of the Window if Tim Sweeney is to be believed (who else?).

clicker
3rd Sep 2001, 03:44 PM
So what is a good card that's under $250 and is supported by lots of games and supports T&L? tHANKS/

ravenus
4th Sep 2001, 09:44 AM
You could get an excellent GeForce 2 for that kind of money, I guess. But you may want to wait since Nvidia's plan of releasing Ultra versions of the GeForce3 may bring the earlier GeForce3 within your budget and that's significantly better than GeForce2.

obrother7
4th Sep 2001, 02:05 PM
Well, after buying Tribes 2 AND a 900 MGHZ Athlon AND a Geforce2 w/ 64 MGs of RAM on the card and running 393 MG's of RAM in my box I think I should be just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!! bring it on!!!!

Zaccix
4th Sep 2001, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by ravenus
U2 at least in its first release requires a video card that can handle T&L - Transformation and Lighting, functions that deal with map geometry and lighting calculations which earlier to the GeForce were the sole responsibility of the CPU.
I think U2 takes (great) advantage of cards with T&L, but doesn't require one to run. It'll probably run a lot slower on a non-T&L card (unless you've got an uber-fast CPU), but it should still run.

Clicker: If you play a lot of T&L games now, then the best option would be to get a GF2 or a GF3 if your budget stretches to one. However, if you're getting a T&L card especially for U2, then a good idea would be to wait until nearer to its release, as the GF3's price should be lower by then.

Then again, there's always the Kyro3 as well... :)

ravenus
5th Sep 2001, 09:26 AM
Zaccix,
I believe the official word is that U2 will require at least a first gen T&L capable card (i.e. at least GeForce 1).
Mike Verdu has said in an interview that Legend is debating whether to add support for older cards like TNT2 and Voodoo3 onwards, which means that at least the base warfare engine does not support them.
T&L coding for video cards is vastly different I assume from CPU harnessing. It may require too much effort on their part to release a version that simultaeneously suppports both modes of graphic display.
Remember this goes way beyond just pretty lights and smooth frames.

Hal could you please come in and clarify things out for us?

HeadsHot
16th Sep 2001, 04:29 AM
as the GF3's price should be lower by then.

hm, to about 250? :D

Id' buy an XBOX and just take out the GF3 if I could :D So much more expensive in AGP form :(

Zaphrod
16th Sep 2001, 01:34 PM
XBOX doesnt have a Geforce3, it has a custom Nvidia chipset that is actually about 2x as powerfull as the GF3. Still I wouldnt mind having it in my system.

ravenus
17th Sep 2001, 09:19 AM
According to previews of the XBox, this custom chip is pretty similar to the GF3 with a few extras like an additional shader pipeline or something like that and X-Box exclusive version of Dx8 which is supposed to better harness the hardware.
All in all I think that chip will be maybe 20-30% faster than GF3 and with ultra versions of GF3 coming..well.

Master_Blaster[MASTER
17th Sep 2001, 11:29 AM
I will force my dad to get a AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz 256MB RAM with GeForce 3 ultra just b4 unreal2 comes out so it will be cheaper :p

azmodai
20th Sep 2001, 07:50 PM
ok. got the 1.4ghz athlon. got 512mb ram and packing my geforce 2 Ultra.

now hand me that game

phillys
20th Sep 2001, 09:54 PM
I have a Pentium MMX 233 mhz w/ 96MB RAM w/ 2MB S3 ViRGE DX Graphic Card( Dont even thinkabout fps :()

But, I am forcing my dad to buy a Pentium4 1.7Ghz w/ 256MB RAM w/ 64MB GeForece3 :) :D

NeoNite
21st Sep 2001, 12:05 PM
Yeah and I'm forcing my uncle into buying me a pentium7 3.4 ghz/2 gig of ddram/36 inch screen/ 800 gig 99000 rpm hdd/ omegageforce5 728 ddram...

Machismo
21st Sep 2001, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by NeoNite
Yeah and I'm forcing my uncle into buying me a pentium7 3.4 ghz/2 gig of ddram/36 inch screen/ 800 gig 99000 rpm hdd/ omegageforce5 728 ddram...

ROTFLMAO.............

and i'm forcing the next person i see on the streets to get me the above gig. or at least bankroll me ;)

:rolleyes:

TWD
21st Sep 2001, 11:28 PM
Seriously think about it the X-box is a 500mhz geforce3 256ram system. Since we're on a PC you might need a bit more since other stuff is running.

GeForce cards will be prefered. All the special effect things that they have in the geforce three will be used in the U2 engine. The devolpers specificly said "unreal 2 will use geforce3 technology."