Please sir, may I have one more?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Xenomorph

Death Incarnate
Jan 11, 2000
LV-426, "Archeron"
www.d3fx.com
I understand the grenade whoring problem, but isn't the cut to two m203 grenades a little harsh? I mean, this isn't Firearms where you can just go to a nearby crate and pick up more ammo. What you got it usually what you've got to use. At least consider it.

BlueSniper

if today was yesterday, what's tomarrow?
Mar 6, 2001
in millitary ops, the front line will always have 20-40 40mm granies, and two M203's.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
I think the bulk of the 40mm grenades is also an issue. At present, it's too high.

In RL, the '203 (and M79 for that matter) aren't just used for killing stuff, they can be used for launching smoke (coloured, CS Gas, all sorts) flares, and smoke flares for signalling, lighting an area, providing cover, or flushing out the enemy.

I think the damage that an unexploded 40mm grenade does should be lowered to about 1, since its really nothing more than a 4cm wide punch in the head. A big punch in the head, but nothing compared to hot lead.

Limiting 40mm grenades to 2 is unrealistic, and I'me s<u></u>hitty that Inf and O:FP have both limited grenades to some stupidly small number.

Designated grenadiers are just that, designated. The GL is their weapon, would you only take 2 rounds for your M16 if you were a rifleman? I'm sure its a different case with the M16/M203 combo, since you have a rifle, but for weapons like the HK Granatpistole or M79, where you can't carry a rifle at the ready, whilst also carrying a GL ready, you really need to be fast on the reloads, and have plenty of ammo ready.

Does anyone remember the picture that someone posted, of the two marines getting their gear together, an entire table was covered in 40mm grenades, and each of them already had at least 5.

If you can't do it properly, it isn't worth doing.

GranoblasticMan

Jun 15, 2001
Dunedin, FL
www.angelfire.com
I partially agree. While we want realism, some things can't be done. This mod simulates warfare on a very small scale, and having more than, say 6 40mm grenades isn't really necessary, as often times, you don't have more than 6 people on each team.

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
I think....

that they were attempting to solve a game balance issue in the most simple way possible and that would be limiting the amount of ammo one could carry for the GL. However, a more realistic solution would be to limit the number of GL's and shotty's per team. For example: 1 shotty and one GL allowed per team, per 3 players. So, if the red team consisted of 1-5 players, only 1 GL and 1 shotty would be available to be used for that team. If there were 6-8 players, 2 GLs and 2 shottys would be available.....and so on. Sure, this may piss some people off but so does the absence of a rocket launcher and the ability to pick up health packs. It is highly unrealistic for an entire team of this sort, to run around with shotty's or grenade lauchers, or even a majority of the team. The Designated grenedier is just that, designated and yes, should be able to carry as many rounds as is humanly possible with the appropriate speed penalties. That means that not every idiot who wants to carry one can carry one. The same goes for the shotty. So if you have a shotty "whore" who joins a server and the designated number of shottys allowed per player is already filled, he can either bitch and whine until someone gives up using a shotty so he can use it, or he can learn to use another weapon and maybe broaden his skills a little. Of course there is the option to find another server. This is a variation on a feature used in UnrealFortress that forces a little balance and intellignce in game play.

GranoblasticMan

Jun 15, 2001
Dunedin, FL
www.angelfire.com
I like the limiting idea... But who's to say the same person who has the shotty doesn't have the grenades? :(

I say we need a combination of the idea mentioned by Ghost and preset loadouts. I am a FIRM believer in preset loadouts!

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
Preset Loadouts suck :mad:
I design my loadout to fit my playing style. Now all I carry is my main weapon and no side arms (except a knife). Now maybe limiting # of weapons you can take is ok but forcing people to play with certain loadouts sucks. Also forcing people to use preset loadouts means that almost everyone will choose one of 3 main loadouts and ignore the rest. Also what if you want to play a friendly game with your friends with some funky loadout? You cant if we have preset loadouts. Preset load outs suck :mad:

GranoblasticMan

Jun 15, 2001
Dunedin, FL
www.angelfire.com
I still believe in preset loadouts. In the -real- military (realism mod, here!), you don't just look at a table with weapons laid out on it and say, "Uhh, I'll take that M16.. Maybe an ACOG.. Eh, a few magazines would be nice.. Oh, and give me that HK69"

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
I agree but.....

The only weapons that should be limited are shottys and nade launchers....possibly sniper rifles, since these weapons ARE issued to only one or two in the real life counter part of these teams. Preset loadouts is going a little far for game play's sake, but I'm not opposed to it.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Originally posted by {GD}Ghost
Why doesn't someone call in Stormcaller to give some input on this one. I believe he is a Marine and would have some knowledge on the subject.

*cue the Stormcaller Theme Song*

:D

I got one thing to say...Less ammo all around. Everbody uses to much, with no fear of running out. Yes a Fireteam leader very well may carry between 20 -40 40mm's, but he ain't gonna bust 'em all out in a 3 minute firefight. Two is fine, and I wouldn't be sad to see it reduced to a single round. And to tell the truth, I don't even know how many rounds you can carry in INF with the HK-69, but it seems to me it's too many when you can see people with that and nothing else the entire round. N00b's or not, there is enough for a player to survive a whole round while getting oodles of kills with just one weapon. Generally speaking, one of the things that wins a firefight in RL is fire discipline. IRL an individual could be carrying hundreds of rounds in his pack, but he only has 6 magazines to last him through any given firefight, and there is no telling how many charlies he's got to put down, or if one firefight will lead right to the next, so that individual is not going to blow all six mags in the first few minutes. Even with the silly metal speed loader that comes in a bandolier of ammuntion, reloading magazines is not something you are going to want to do while rounds are coming from down range.

To reflect this in INF, I would say cut everything in half, and round up for fractions. I know this probably won't be a popular idea, but I think it is the greatest way to reflect reality.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
There is nothing I hate more than hearing nonstop firing in a round, and 3 mins later hear "LOL outta ammo!" As a guys excuse for getting killed. People just seem to except that.
In my AkSMU loadout (yes, I love tht friggin thing, no wussy ACOG here) I always carry 1 drum and 3 clips.

I have not run out off ammo in a round to date.

If I am going to do any initial fighting or surpessive fire, I use the drum.
Everything else uses the clips. People have commented on the fact that I am constantly swapping clips.