PDA

View Full Version : Level Screenshot is all grainy?

CousCous
6th Jul 2001, 01:57 PM
My level screenshot looks decent in the texture browser, but whenever it's viewed in game, it looks all grainy and crappy compared to the rest of the screenshots. I reduced the screenshot with psp7 and I can't figure out how to make it look good. Any help?

Qbic
6th Jul 2001, 02:19 PM
For some reason the screenshot always looks grainier in-game than in the texture browser. I don't think anybody will notice, I didn't until I took a closer look. You could try some palette manipulation, I don't know how this is done in PSP though.

OshadowO
6th Jul 2001, 03:21 PM
Try deleting it and reimporting it. Did you make sure its 16 bit bmp?(256 colours I think) PLus theres a checkbox when you're importing the shot in that must not be checked.

CousCous
6th Jul 2001, 03:43 PM
Hmmm.I wasn't aware if any box that was supposed to be unchecked...I'll try that. Thanks to both of you...

_Zd_3s_
6th Jul 2001, 04:28 PM
Yes, the "Generate Mipmaps" box is forgotten most of the time. Also, import it as pcx rather than bmp. It worked better for me. :)

CousCous
8th Jul 2001, 01:50 AM
Okay, none of these things worked...I imported the texture without the 'generate mipmaps' box checked and I tried importing it as .pcx...no luck. It's not really that big of a deal, it's just that I'd hate it if the first image that people see of my map is inferior to all the other screenshots...looks pretty amateurish. And don't get me wrong, I'm a total amateur, I just don't want it to be obvious... ;)

Euphoric Beaver
8th Jul 2001, 02:35 AM
What size are you using?
I use 512 by 512.

And they look okay on my small resolution.

CousCous
8th Jul 2001, 03:12 AM
Hmmmmmm...I thought it had to be 256x256. Well, I'll go give that a shot...thanks Ciced.

[IMD1]KillRoy
8th Jul 2001, 07:17 AM
I think it has to do with the program you use to make the screenshots.

If you change it from 24-bit colour to 8-bit colour. If you do it you must choose 8-bit with an optimized pallete. I think psp7 does it in 8-bit unifrom format (see the two pics and the difference)

I dont know of a good free paint program that does this, but I use CorelDraw 9, Adobe also works very well.

http://members.ams.chello.nl/ptbuys/foto/screenshotbad.jpg http://members.ams.chello.nl/ptbuys/foto/screenshotgood.jpg

ChrisToth.hu
8th Jul 2001, 04:27 PM
Another tip:
First change the image size and palettize only afterwards...
Better quality.