PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2, Mod friendly?

Morbit
5th Jul 2001, 01:46 PM
Hello there,

As an Dedicated Strike Force (http://www.strikeforcecenter.com) player i want to ask you lads something.

Will U2 be Mod-friendly? UT is pretty mod-friendly but some mod makers dont get much support from Epic.
I hope this will change with U2.

I think U2 will create a big mod scene, and as some of you might read the article what Hellchick wrote on gamespy: How do people buy games, add free stuff to it! (mods, maps, skins ect ect)

If Modīs will have the same "support" as Valve/sierra gave to the CS team (forgive me for bringing up CS, bad boy Morbit :D ) and other modīs things will be alot better for mod-makers then!

So any, opinions, flames, suggest ect ect, write away :)

Morbit
9th Jul 2001, 12:07 PM
*bump*

helloooooo anybody here?????

stiflersmom
9th Jul 2001, 04:28 PM
the only answer I can give your question is "there's a very good chance, yes"

at www.unreal2.com, the developers said that it would be easy to make mods for, but I honestly don't know given how incredibly complex the engine is supposed to be (ie it could be possible but look crap).

WildfireX2000
11th Jul 2001, 01:32 PM
Because of the fully object-oriented nature of the engine, it would only look like crap if you fuxxored up the graphics code somehow. Normally, if you're making a mod for an Unreal-engine game, you "export" the modules you need to change, and "import" them as a subclass into the package.

the~oreca
21st Jul 2001, 10:17 PM
i'm pretty sure it will take more time, everygame that goes out further in technology will be harder to make somehting, for instance I could make a full mod for Wolf3D right now and it wouldn't take much time, but I can barely do anything in UnrealEd so figure ;)

Major-Lee-High
16th Aug 2001, 09:18 AM
Well there will be online gameplay im sure!!

Plus if they use the same style as they did with Unreal/UnrealTournament all the old UT and U stuff will also be available for use in U2!!

I doubt that it will be harder or look real bad!!

They keep mods in mind when making a game like this!! Mods keep games alive, Halflife would be a BARGAIN for like 5 dollars at the stores right now if it wasnt for mods!

The D
23rd Aug 2001, 08:50 PM
What about mutators? I love the mutator system and it would be a real shame if it was gone from U2... unless it was replaced with a superior system...
But you can't beat being able to add any option you want to the game :)

Snipeo
25th Aug 2001, 09:05 PM
Mods are what keep games alive long after the casual player has completed a game, and developers know this. I expect you can look forward to some sw33t modding for all the upcoming games, including U2. :cool: