UT not too chatty

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Astaldo

Apr 21, 2000
Highland Lakes, NJ USA
Visit site
I've noticed that when I play online, no one chats. I know it's not required or really necessary, but it makes it more fun. I was playing last night and was "talking" to people and I was just ignored. Nothing lame or mean, just like "Now I know how JFK feels" after getting my head blown off. I also think it helps to keep in touch with your teammates. Maybe it's just my strange desire to belong....please accept me.....poop....
:redflag:

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Most people don't talk while playing UT because they're more interested in actually PLAYING and not getting killed while talking. :D

If they had a thing like they have in Q3 (the chat balloon above a typing person's head, then things would be OK. :)

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I gotta say, I think this is the first complaint of it's kind - NOT ENOUGH talking... lol

I'm not harpin' on ya man - and I know what you mean - in a completely fun atmosphere, I'll comment on hits & shots... it does make it more fun - but don't expect everyone to do it.

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
bah, if anything, people in UT chat too much. in most cases, the people who like to talk are the angry ones. "OMG, LAME, BS, WTF, AIMBOT, LAG, OWNED, GAY" are examples of words that should start a conversation easily.

Robot TinMan|BuF

Godlike Blues Brutha
Feb 13, 2001
Sweden
www.clanrobot.com
What Rooster said: I comment nice shots, gg's or when sumthing's really funny ("lol"), that's about it.
If I feel chatty, I hang in IRC.
Less chatting in game, avoids "Nice typekill U "%#¤!%" ;)

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
yeah, most chatting on ut, is giving orders or insults
i get the lame ass cheater a lot, though i don't use any prog to assist me with ut, only my witts

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
I'll chat if I'm playing with/against chatty people until the game hots up, after that I'm usually too busy watching my back to read what's being said, nevermind reply! :)

Athlon_2o0o

Apr 17, 2001
Yes, I play LMS instagib and in LMS a lot of people chat when they died, I know all the people in the server.

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
i talk a lot. and normally not many others talk, but it makes the game more fun when people comment on it.

an example of annoying talk:

two guys got into a fight over one of them having the name yog-sogoth, or something. the guy who had it was getting harassed beause the person was complaining he knew nothing of mythology.

retarded.

GerbilJammer

Resident NOOb :D
Jan 25, 2001
Louisiana
you know dope... you make a good point, we need chat ballons! if eipc is making a new patch, and we send em enough emails.... maybe they will come through for us, Hal ne word on the new patch release and it's features? oh and dopefish is chatty, hehe specially after he deemer pimps ya :p

Valk

Mom, kitty's being a dildo!!
Dec 21, 2000
Great Lakes State
Visit site
I hate in game chatters, unless it's stuff like "gg, ns, ty." There's nothing worse than playing CTF with some fool on your team trying to recruit for 3 maps...

Athlon_2o0o

Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by GerbilJammer
you make a good point, we need chat ballons!

Why? You can see someone typing when he is with his head moving to the microphone, wich is better then a ballon, because it is more realistic.

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
I frag or get frag. Usually the latter. But I'll chat when it's warrented.

You can always bind messages. I've carried a conversation with those before.

Master_Raven

aka FitZ
Jun 3, 2000
ARGHL...Belgium
Visit site
I chat all the time, dude!
well, not ALL the time, mostly something to keep the game funny and interesting.
But I agree, sometimes, it's mostly "camper, lamer, blabla..."
Those guys are just dicks and ruin the game :(

BTW: I'm new here, I already been here...maybe a half year ago (been playing UT ya know), But now I'm back! :)

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
I chat with people I know but I try not to do it too much.

What I hate is when your chatting and someone joins the server and tries to kill you... even though there's a chat dialogue going on and it's obvious the existing guys were chatting.

This happened the other night when MOE appeared so I said hello. The other guy on the server decided to try and type kill me... except I was sitting on a lift and I killed him for his efforts.... :D

Some people have no respect... :)

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Originally posted by Athlon_2o0o

Why? You can see someone typing when he is with his head moving to the microphone, wich is better then a ballon, because it is more realistic.

Yeah guys, what he said!
You know when someone's typing. You can tell in UT.
I do dis-agree with Ath2K though, I think chat bubbles make it EXCEPTIONALLY easy for newbies to know what you are doing.
Realism, schmealism.
However, any online UT'er can tell after awhile when someone is chatting.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
To athlon 2k I don't know about you dude but when I'm running for dear life on a 56K connection with a 15" monitor it's hard to make out if the dude is babbling in his mic or just camping or something. As a rule I generally find a dark corner and feign death. Most people don't get it ......some do, but it does reduce chances of getting tked.
As for the original Question well, I always say n1, ggs and etc in 1 vs 1. In DM's its hard especially if you respawn automatically cos you don't always get times. PLus occasionaly I'm sure someones said the same to me in a FFA or DOm game and I rarely reply because I don't know if he was talking to me or I don't see it. Its nothing personal or anything.
As for people bitchin I had a classic incident the other day...I was playing RA and I was getting my butt kicked by every1. Finally I manage to pull off one victory over one of the players. He quickly commented that he was lagging. Now his ping was about 50 avg but during the round it spiked a couple of times to 120(yeah bad ping).
Funny thing is I was pinging 350 avg spiking to 400+ and he was bitchin about his ping.

REeeE{skullface}

p-REeeE-dictable
Feb 28, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
V-tec: I hate the foolz who do that too, the ctf recrueters suk.

But I tend to be a pretty chatty person, i try to be a good sport about getting ruled so how can you do anything else but be "jokey" about things, so sarcasm chat baby.

Reee