Increasing framerates

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
WinXP beta 2 (win2k under the hood)
leadtek tnt2 ultra, 500mhz p3.
Here are some findings.

in Preferences -> Video:
* disabling dynamic lighting increases fps by 8 to 10
* disabling decals adds ~1 fps in heavy combat
* difference between 800x600x16 with low texture/world detail and 1024x768x32 with high texture/world detail is ~1.5 fps

in advanced preferences (type 'preferences' in console):
* setting:
Translucency = False
ShinySurfaces = False
Coronas = False
HighDetailActors = False

(leaving the rest how it is) increases fps by 5 to 7

disabling a lot of useless windows 2000 services increases fps by 4-5. disabling all windows 2000 services increases fps by 11. some of them are required for minimal operation though (network, sound, etc).

I'd like to hear other people's findings as well :)

Crager

Ahh...just a player here
Apr 30, 2000
NY
www.teamimmortal.org
* difference between 800x600x16 with low texture/world detail and 1024x768x32 with high texture/world detail is ~1.5 fps

Something looks odd about this one...on my geforce 256 when I go from 16 to 32 bit the fps drop is about 15 if I use the same detail settings.

mishmu

But I don't want to be a pirate
Dec 19, 2000
Montreal
Visit site
useless application at startup

Hey guys what is the command in the run menu to see the applications running at startup.

I know this as been talked about in an earlier thread but I can't find it

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Robot TinMan
Looks like U covered most things I've done to tweak my FPS, 'cept for turning VSync off and Low Quality on the sound. ;)

Does disabling vsync really help your game smoothness, does it hurt it or does it make no difference? I have been playing both with and without it and it seemed to me that the game ran smoother when my frames were capped at 75. It's just a feeling though.

ps, about msconfig. there's no msconfig in windows 2000, but there is in windows XP and windows 98/95/me

Dec 31, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by SamD

Does disabling vsync really help your game smoothness, does it hurt it or does it make no difference? I have been playing both with and without it and it seemed to me that the game ran smoother when my frames were capped at 75. It's just a feeling though.

ps, about msconfig. there's no msconfig in windows 2000, but there is in windows XP and windows 98/95/me

Hehe. I've always maintained that I'm a dolt when it comes to computers. I have, once again, opened my mouth....or..keyboard and shown this to be true. :)

Robot TinMan|BuF

Godlike Blues Brutha
Feb 13, 2001
Sweden
www.clanrobot.com
Originally posted by SamD
Well, I can't say it did wonders, that'd be a lie. ;)
It worked for me and I've also heard (read) about other peeps having a big boost when disabling VSync.
I still need a new VidCard tho (TNT2 Ultra) :D

Mofo{skullface}

One smoove motha
Dec 31, 2000
CT
www.skullface.com
In windows 2000, make sure you have your administrative tools on (right click on star bar>properties>advanced>check display admin tools) and then go start>programs>administrative tools>computer management. I always copy compmgmt to my start bar for easy access (cuz hey, who doesnt like easey access? ):D
hehe

SludgeX

Jul 9, 2001
Chicagoland, IL
Visit site
Beware when disabling V-Sync. When you disable V-Sync, UT will attempt to refresh the monitor as fast as it can. This in turn can cause severe on-screen artifacts, especially when using OpenGL.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
* disabling dynamic lighting increases fps by 8 to 10
Ack! You'd never see the flag glow! Could never play this way.
* disabling decals adds ~1 fps in heavy combat
You'd never know if someone is in a specific area if they leave no marks on the grounds or walls. Removing visual clues may impair your effectiveness.
Highly System dependent. UT is very CPU intensive and not so much Video Card intensive - but if you can run it under Glide, do it.

Translucency = False
Again, would cause some hideous graphic anomolies.
ShinySurfaces = False
And look like Doom. :D
Coronas = False
I have this turned off to help me see. But it's much prettier with it on.
HighDetailActors = False
Turning this off makes all kinds of things look messed up. This would be the last thing I'd ever turn off.

Just my notes.

Granted, if you have to turn all that stuff off just to get up to 30fps, then you do what you have to do - but those are my opinions on the settings.