Inertia, eh?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Khral

Jun 27, 2001
Quoted from the latest news:

We've added elements of inertia that will, when finished, prevent players and bots alike from instantly pivoting and stopping on a dime.

The "stopping" part is probably the forward, backward, and strafing motions. With inertia this would cause the player to slow down before stopping, rather than coming to a complete stop instantly. Right?

This is good. However, I've become skeptical about the "pivoting" part. I've thought about it over and over. There is nearly no inertia (very minimal) when you're turning left or right, or aiming in any direction. Try it in real life. Grab something heavy and start turning and aiming like crazy. Do you experience any inertia? Besides looking stupid, chances are it's minimal if any.

Unless the mouse sensitivity is at its highest setting and you tend to push it around a lot, it would appear silly to apply inertia to aiming and turning. This would mean you'd have to stop your mouse early, so your view will have time to slide and stop where you intend it to be. It all just seems weird to me. Who knows, maybe I'm getting worried over nothing. I'm sure the INF team will figure out the best way to pull this off. I just hope it isn't what I think it is though.

But then again I may have interpreted this incorrectly. Would someone care to elaborate? :)

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
You do have inertia when pivoting. Rotational velocity is still velocity, and change in rotational velocity is rotational acceleration. Therefore there is force when stopping which will cause you to continue rotating. Its the law of conservation of motion :p

Khral

Jun 27, 2001
Originally posted by DarkBls
Try to rotate with a Robar !

Are you suggesting that players with heavier weapons will experience more inertia than players with lighter weapons? I sure hope so. Running around with a pistol at the same inertia of a Robar (in hand) would be silly. :)

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Yeah by "pivoting" Warren simply meant changing directions while running. This would include making a sudden 90-degree turn, for example, as well as strafing. You'll notice it mostly in that you'll no longer be able to strafe from left to right instantaneously anymore while running. So you'll have to be more careful about the snipers... ;)

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
I hope that they modify the scopes as well(turn rate for scopes suggestion, WWU)
Cause the inertia will make it REAL easy for anyone to just pick up a scope and snipe, no skill required to hit that kind of a target.

Kristoph

Jan 19, 2000
Paris, France
Visit site
I won't restart the discussion on this but you can't increase too much the sensibility of the mouse or else it will be IMPOSSIBLE to aim.

More important, the inertia will probably cause more difficulties than it will help once looking through a scope : since the scales are much smaller, the inertia will be amplified. You will feel like using a very heavy gun. On the other hand, the gun inertia will probably go unnoticed will not using a scope ( but the player inertia will ).