D3d settings and a translucent problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
www.euphoric-beaver.me.uk
I was looking through the d3d settings and noticed that these settings were all false. Could anyone tell me what they do?

VolumetricLighting
UseVertexFog
UseAGPTextures
UseVideoMemoryVB
UseVSync
UseTrilinear

Also whilst looking at other skyboxes in UnrealEd, I noticed that they put two translucent textures ontop of each other to look like clouds.
However only one translucent texture gets shown and the other just dissapears.
Can anyone tell why this happens, and can I change it?

dsn

Jul 2, 2001
Atlanta
Visit site
Graphics can depend on many factors

As far as the D3D options are concerned, UT sets up graphics options depending on the video card you own. Some video cards don't support specific D3D options and sometimes those options will need a heavy duty CPU & video card to run well.

As far as the options:

1) Volumetric Lighting -- think of light shining through a fog bank... Volumetric
lighting is system intensive, and is contained within a volume. Notice that a spotlight shining through fog looks like a 'cone of light'. :) I'm pretty sure this is only turned on if you have a good CPU & graphics card.

2) VertexFog - There are different ways to produce fog in computer graphics, some video cards are faster than others on different types of fog calculations.

3) UseVSync - Some video cards ( I think Voodoo2's) make use of Vertical Sync... (has to do with the video card & monitor)

4) UseAGPTextures - depends on the video card. Can increase performance.

5) UseTrillinear - Trillinear filtering, supported on certain video cards.

6) UseVideoMemoryVB - not exactly sure, but it has to do with the video memory on the video card... Probably used for specific video cards.

As far as the 'skyboxes'... The alpha channel of a texture is used for texture blending... a texture can go from completely transparent to completely viewable. However, the alpha channel is 'better' with a higher-bit color depth.

UT supports 16-bit and 32-bit color depths; 32-bit has a larger alpha or transparency channel than 16-bit... and the 'transparency' problems can occur like you explained in 16-bit.

Also, a video cards drivers, if the blending funcitons are buggy, can easily produce the blending anomalies that you see.

-
dsn
(Yes.. a little technical.. but its hard to explain this otherwise.)