Full Metal Jacket

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CyanideTriscuit

UScript hack
Jun 25, 2001
The Triscuit Zone
Visit site
What a marvelously uplifting and cheerful movie. Wierd thing is, the only thing I can think about are the guns I saw that I don't know the names of. Please help!

1) The guy who gives Joker a hard time when he first meets up with Cowboy's platoon, I think his nick was Animal. He had a rather large belt-fed machine gun.

2) Were the standard-issue guns m16s or m4s? The only difference I know between the two is the availability of full automatic fire, but I wasn't paying enough attention to tell.

3) The nade launchers. One looked like a miniature bazooka, another might be the same but I only caught a glimpse of it.

4) The sniper's gun.

Joker's sidearm was a beretta, right? Hey, one out of five ain't bad :p

CyanideTriscuit

UScript hack
Jun 25, 2001
The Triscuit Zone
Visit site
Just remembered one more.

5)The automatic gun that was used by the soldier flying along with Joker and Rafterman on their way to meet up with Cowboy's platoon. Looked to be the same as #1 but I don't know my guns very well. At all.

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
1) The gun Animal was carrying was an M60 Light Machine Gun (LMG). It fires 7.62mm NATO Rounds.

2) They used M16A1s which fire 5.56mm NATO rounds, the difference between the M16A1 and the M16A2, are that the M16A1 didn't have a burst regulator that stopped a soldier from firing excessively long bursts, the M16A1 has a lighter barrel, and a few other minor differences, like a lack of a tubular foregrip.
The M4 hadn't even been invented yet. Although several of it's ancesters were in use at the time.

3) One of those was a M79 grenade launcher, it's the predecessor to the M203, it also fires the same round.
The other was the M72 Light Anti-tank Weapon (LAW). It's a single shot High Explosive Anti-tank (HEAT) rocket. But because there was a general lack of enemy tanks around, they were mostly used against enemies in fortifitied positions.

4) AK-47, an exceedingly poor choice of weapon for a sniper if you ask me, but then again, she wasn't really a sniper. She was one person trying to hold of a superior force with limited resources.

5) You're right it was the same M60 as Animal carried.

6) M14s which fire the same 7.62mm ammunition as the M60. These were fazed out in favor of faster firing M16s.

BTW, I like you, you actually bothered to ask about this stuff. :)

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
That one movie has more great lines than all other movies combined. Drill Instructor Hartman is probably the most memorable character in any movie, ever...

Quickly! Get your fat ass over there, Private Pyle! Oh, that's right, Private Pyle ... don't make any fucking effort to get to the top of the fucking obstacle! If God wanted you up there He would have miracled your ass up there by now, wouldn't He?

:D

-Keiichi

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Joker's sidearm was a beretta, right?
Wrong...Joker's sidearm was a Colt M1911A1 in .45acp the beretta M9 (aka the 92f) didn't come onto the scene until the 1980s

Full Metal Jacket is one of the most accurate Viet Nam war movies out there (at least according to my dad...who did 2 tours of Viet Nam).

For fun...check here to see how your favorite movies have done (realism wise)
http://www.recguns.com/MovieGuns.html

RavenStarSinger

I can make you die laughing or just shoot you
May 30, 2001
On the grassy knoll . . .
Visit site
Best Movie EVER

IMHO, Full Metal Jacket was the best movie ever made. Period. I love a lot of other movies, but this one I come back to over and over and over. Stanley Kubrick made it a point to tell it like it was, without trying to make things look "happy and cheerful".
There IS one thing that TRULY pissed me off, and this is it : Go to a Blockbuster video. You will find this movie in the ADVENTURE SECTION?!?!? WTF is THAT? This movie is a DRAMA! There is NOTHING adventurous about someone blowing away their DI seconds before eating a bullet, simply because he was pushed WAY too far beyond the breaking point. Vietnam was not an adventure for the people involved, ESPECIALLY the draftees . . . that never ceases to make me irate. Anyhow, aside from that, I do agree wholeheartedly with Keiichi about Hartman. . . DAMN he makes a great hardass DI! Anyone know how many other DI roles he's played? I've seen him in numerous other movies, and a number of those roles he played a Drill Instructor. Anyhow, just thought I would put in my little opinion.

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Correction, In FMJ, they used XM16E1s (they had the early pronged flash suppressors).

The M60 is a GPMG(General Purpose Machine Gun). NOT an LMG.

One might well note that the Marine core actually held onto their M14s for a while longer during the beginning of the Vietnam war.

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
script

HARTMAN
If you ladies leave my island, if you survive
recruit
training ... you will be a weapon, you
will be a minister of death,
praying for war.
But until that day you are pukes! You're the

lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even
human ****ing beings!
You are nothing but
unorganized grabasstic pieces of amphibian

****!

Because I am hard, you will not like me. But

the more
you hate me, the more you will
learn. I am hard, but I am fair!
There is no
racial bigotry here! I do not look down on
niggers,
kikes, wops or greasers. Here you
are all equally worthless! And my
orders are
to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack
the gear
to serve in my beloved Corps! Do
you maggots understand that?

RECRUITS
(in unison)
Sir, yes, sir!

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
Hamburger Hill seems like it would be pretty accurate, but I was never there so I wouldn't know. But it doesn't try to make heroes out of people.