Which console is the best?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Domino

< Phoenix Rising >
Oct 25, 1999
Houston
I'm thinking of shifting into the realm of consoles, but I am really confused about which system is best suited for my needs. Firstly, the only reason I'm getting a console is for mobility, I need to be able to take this thing on a trip, to friends houses, and set it up easily.

Which is the best? I played a Dreamcast over at my friends and I really liked it... of course the only console I've ever played was the original nintendo, so it was a big leap for me.

I feel somewhat loyal with nintendo, after all I grew up with their original product... but I can't help but see the X-box, Ps2, and that DC... So want to know your opinions on which one I should get.

I'd rather have a weaker console than my PC, but be able to take it around... the PS1 (the one with the built in LSD display) looked pretty appealing.. but the playstation titles kind of turned me off, I'm not that in to such popular anime titles as "Bushido Blade" and "Final Fantasy".

So what do I do? the Ps2s price is kinda steep, the N64 is definitely an aging console, as with the original Playstation, so lemme hear what u think.

Pretorious

IH8GOP
Jan 2, 2001
I have a PS/2 and like it tremendously. Traded in my DC for it. Its small, you can carry it around with you to a friend's house and its easy to set up, plus its a space saver able to lie vertical or horizontal and play PS, PS/2, and DVD titles. I wouldn't go for the DC since Sega has stopped all hardware production and really, the games aren't that great for it. There are some good titles but just not enough IMO. If your loyal to Nintendo then you might wanna wait for the Gamecube, looks to be superior graphics and a quality system. The only thing I would say about it is that its Nintendo's first CD console made by a company that I personally have had bad luck with, Hitachi. But what matters is your final opinion, if you want to get something now, do it, if you fell you should wait for X-Box or Gamecube, then by all means do it. Hope this helps.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
It all depends on the games. If you like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, and Gran Turismo titles, get a PS2. If you like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon titles, wait for the GameCube. And, if you like... uhh... PC games... get an Xbox.

I won't bother stating my opinion, because you all know where I stand.

-Keiichi

Sebu_NZ

Kalashnikov's Personal Pimp!
Dec 25, 2000
New Zealand
www.muttonbone.com
The Gamecube has the same average developer support, and we know what happens if that is the case.

Gamecube seems to be just ridding on the Mario and Pokemon bandwaggon, nothing orginal I see coming.

X-Box. hhmmmm interesting, The system is sounds very impressive, but microsoft have been know to lie alittle. I would stick it out and wait until X-box comes out to decide on that.

Where is Catalyst when you need him :D

.Nova.

Hate
Feb 25, 2001
Denmark
www.planetunreal.com
I want a ps2 bad, but I don't have the money :(
I'm getting more and more pissed at my PC because of it's incapability, a ps2 doesn't age or gets outdated as quickly as the pc, therefore, consoles have a frontseat.

BlueSniper

if today was yesterday, what's tomarrow?
Mar 6, 2001
DC is outa the picture. sega is now working for sony, so if you like sega, go for the PS2.

Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy are probably the two greatest game series to ever hit a console. both of wich are fo PS2, :insert evil laugh here:.

the gamecube has only ONE thing that I want.... zelda.... damn I love those games...

you make the choice

Edit: notice how I dont even mention the X-box. if you have a PC already, dont bother with it.

Buddy_Pickle

Fffeeerrrtt!!!
Jan 30, 2000
West Jordan Utah
www.myextralife.com
Blue: Be a bit more factual please. :) Sega is not "working" for Sony. Sega is just getting out of the hardware business, and publishing games on ALL platforms: (Xbox, PS2, GameCube, GBAdvance, PC, etc.) Think of them as Capcom, but without the hardware history.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Gamecube seems to be just ridding on the Mario and Pokemon bandwaggon, nothing orginal I see coming.
Actually the Gamecube has got a lot of good developers that will be making some impressive games. Don't expect it to be like the N64. A lot of developers didn't want to make games for the N64 because Nintendo intentionally made it hard to develop for (the PSX on the other hand was easy to develop for, so many developers moved to it). But Gamecube is being made to be easy to develop for, so I expect a lot of good titles will appear, and Gamecube already has a huge list of developers who have confirmed they will be making games for it. I think Gamecube and PS2 will be competing very closely, but a lot of games will probably be made cross platform. I forsee Xbox being the dud console, maybe even the next Microsoft Bob. Microsoft hasn't made a single good product, and whatever it has that can be called sub-mediocre (as opposed to just plain horrible) they aquired and havn't screwed yet.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
And it's not gonna all be pc-type games. Who gave you that idea?

You're right. The Xbox does have some non-PC games. Unfortunately, they're all ports of PS2 titles... :rolleyes:

-Keiichi

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
Keichii my -keyboard is -screwed --up so disregard -these -dashes!! Not trying --to diss -you -or -anything. -But -you -haven't -done -your -research. There -is -a -ton -of -games -coming soon--for- x-box -that -aren't -pc -games. -And -there -isn't even -going -to --be many -ps2 -ports -because -the -2 systems -are --pretty different. As a -bonus -x-box -games can -be -easily -ported -to -pc. I just think -your -set -in -your -decision -for -a -ps2. -But -let someone -who -hasn't -bough -one -yet -decide -based -on --all -the -facts. As -I -said -I -love -the -ps2. -It's--just I'm getting -the -ps2 -and -the xbox. -mwahahahaha. -But -not --the GameCube. Nintendo -sux0rs.- Sorry -bout -the -dashes. -It's -what -happens -when --you -spill -soda into -your keyboard!-

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The DC might be dead, but it's become pretty cheap ...
It costs about fl 300 (= EURO 137,-) now.
For the same amount of money a PS2 costs, you could get a DC and a decent set of games ...

They've released UT without internet-support.
Half-life, Black & White might get canceled too.
I doubt there will be any new games next year, most likely scenario is that the games which are near completion will be published and the rest will either be canceled or have it's feature-set reduced like they've done with UT.
//
But if you want something a little more futureproof ...
- PS-2 (why oh why does it remind me of IBM ?? ;)) :
Dead or Alive 2, Crazy Taxi and Ready to Rumble round 2 are available for this console too, so you won't miss out on these great games if you don't buy a DC.

- X-box : it's Microsoft ... it might not be good, but MS-software never needed to be good at anything to sell ...
And given the amount of money they have the X-box could be cheaper than the PS-2 too ...

- Gamecube : I think if any system is going to be a dud, it's this one. Both MS & Sony have an awful lot of money to spend on promoting their machines ...
Unless they release before the X-box, I think they don't stand a chance.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
I'm very very exicited about the X-Box. Like the PS2, it shown lots of potential. MGSX will be one of the title(not in development yet) to look out for the Box, but will it be MGS2 of the PS2?
Also, there's a lot of impressive titles lined up for the box.
DEAD OR ALIVE 3!!! :D<---no, i'm not a pervert.

Donnellizer: get a life, get a nu keyboard. :D