About ammo count

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
HUmm.
Try to look araound a bit. You will found the next INF version willl havea feature which show you an aproximation of yor round left based on the magazine weight

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
Thats exactly what it is, Fur. A Thingamagoob. The ammo counters on the rocket launcher, flak cannon, chaingun, and Goob rifle all have a new texture for each round, it just gets replaced on the spot of the model after you fire. I think the Goob Gun has a moving set of poly's for its meter though.

-kain-

lurker
Apr 3, 2001
England
the thing on the biorifle is a simple cylinder that moves (like a thermometer) up the barrel depending on how full the gun is. Quite a bit different to modelling individual bullets behind a transparent magazine surface.

We need anything we can to get the framerate UP in Inf, not down.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
well actually it's not different, all you have to do is make a block with bullet textures on the side, so it looks like a transparent magm, you don't have to draw every seperate bullet.

-kain-

lurker
Apr 3, 2001
England
I guess you could do it that way :) but still there may be some animation and/or performance problems

but really I reload at every opportunity so I tend to know how many bullets I have left. And also in aim-mode you cannot see the mag anyway.
Transparent magazines would be a seriously cool feature for sure but it is mostly cosmetic and imo isnt really worth it, well not until other things are sorted out anyway.

Last edited:

Khral

Jun 27, 2001
I think it keeps gameplay interesting to have the player estimate the ammo left in a cartridge without any additional help. I mean isn't that how it is in real life? There may be some exceptions, like the "see-through" casing in some guns, but for the most part it's all estimated by the soldier. You don't eject the cartridge and take out all the bullets and start counting 'em in the middle of a battle, do you? I mean right when you think you're gonna die and some guy corners you, wouldn't you laugh when you found out that your enemy has forgotten to reload a clip? It's moments like those that adds to the excitement!

And besides, a lot of the current weapons already have subtle hints to indicate that a reload is needed. The M1 shotgun has a chamber to the right. When you run out of shells you'll see it pop open and you'll know you're out of ammo. With the Robar the sniper view does not revert, and you'll hear a clicking sound when the last round is fired; when you need to reload. The M16 also has the clicking sound. Etc.

I mean if realism is what the team is aiming for, wouldn't an indicator contradict the mod's objective? Just a suggestion...

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
well IRL you have, transparent mags, small peepholes every so many bullets, and the weight of the weapon to go by to tell you exactly (transparent mags) or approcimately (the other two) how many rounds you have left.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Wikkan, an ammocounter like the one on the rocketlauncher could be done without having Textures for each bullet left. They did it in Morpheus. (See attachement)

So, if we exchange the Font with one that has Bullets in it and change the color....

-edit-
Can anyone tell me what happened to the .jpg that i had attached to this post and why I can't attach it again right now?
-edit-

Last edited:

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
There is a problem with having a textured block moving upwards in the mag, problem beeing that the block wont just disapeer when moved upwards, so at some point it would start comming out of the top of the weapon, witch would obviously suck.

You cant just make a modeled peace disapeer, it has to be moved out of sight to give that effect.

The only way transparent mag's could be done like this is if it consists of several smaller bloks, so they had room to move up into the model, before beeing moved out of sight, but this does not come without a heavy pricetag, theres polygons to think about, more animations (id think more than twice the amount), and then theres the problem with differend renders, D3D would make a ton of errors if the weapon issent tilted just right (witch could easilly be an akward looking tilt), and for people using software rendering, or OGL with fast tranclucentcy enabled, the effect would not work at all.

Too much work, too big a hit on performance and many people wouldent even be able to enjoy it, it just issent worth it.
Maybe with the U2 or UW engines......

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
The ammo counters in UT arent moving parts, just a sheet on the side that gets a new texture slappen on it each round fired, its far from the same thing.

For a better comparison, open the INF-Ued, and then the mesh browser, and look at the reload animations, you can see that the magazine is animated to fall aslong as its in view, then it magically reapers in the free hand, and then its animated so the hand slips it back into the weapon, its the same clip used as the one that was taken out.

Allso, look at the Unreal Automag, the muzzle flash is modeled, and if you play in software mode, there will be a BSP hole where you can see its just moved back and forward into the gun.

Its the only way you can do it, as far as i can see, as the full mag is too long to be inside the weapon.

One could allso make it a series of textures outside on the mag, that changes like the ammo counters on the UT weapons, but it will look fake, and just cause even further slowdown, IMO, it issent worth it aslong as there is an none-trancparent alternative.