job

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job CHRYSt has a new job

Yay.

------------------
"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

tykeal

Dec 28, 1999
Tacoma, Wa, USA
www.bardicgrove.org
Congrats what are you doing now? Did you move up in the world. Flipping 4 hamburgers a second now. WooHoo!!! /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

bullet2.gif

I belch in your general direction.

CHRYSt

Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
No, I moved wayyyy down in the world. The work is well below me, but I'm getting paid almost double.

bullet2.gif

CHRYSt

Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Let's see...right now, I act as programmer, net admin, tech support, and all around computer guy for the ENTIRE company. (over 100 idiot users, around 60 workstations) I'm literally the only computer literate person in their employ. My boss is a man who wants to control every aspect of every part of the work, despite the fact that he has no clue what he's talking about. For instance, he wants me to walk him through why I need to make a trigger on a specific table, to update another table, and he wants to MEET on this decision. He doesn't even know what a fúcking trigger is! If he'd leave me alone for 5 minutes, I could do it, and be done. Then, since it's nothing tangible for him to see the immediate results of, he'll accuse me of "not being productive." On top of that, he pays me $10 lousy dollars an hour just because I kinda fell into the job from being a surgery supervisor to taking the old admin's place.

New job: Tech support. Crap job, yes. However, I will be supporting people literate enough to understand how to operate a mouse. (I'm not exaggerating, my current users can't do it) Plus, I get to sit and do little to nothing between calls. For double the pay, plus real benefits. I'd say it's a good trade.

bullet2.gif

CHRYSt

Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Your boss could program? Lucky you. At least he probably didn't need to be told why you couldn't reverse engineer some security software to be used for employee tracking.

Before I got any programming experience, I told him I was a network guy, not a programmer. His response: "What's the difference? It's all computers."
My response: "Would you neuter a manatee?" (he's a small mammal veterinarian)
"What does that have to do with it?"
"Well, it's all veterinary medicine."

Soon after, he sent me to some VB classes. Then he couldn't understand why I didn't magically know FoxPro. (the old 2.5 stuff, not even visual)

bullet2.gif

Taskmaster

Godlike - I like God
Nov 29, 1999
www.geocities.com
I worked for your boss!! I had the same micromanger, who used to be a programmer, before Windows SDK, C++ and the like, so he also thought our estimates where too high and would always lower them. Then, of course, we all missed our deadlines because he had no clue how long it really took with the new technology!

I finally got out from under him after 6 years! I was the only person to stay with him for more than two years, every one else hated him!

Anyway, I've done the Tech Support deal, for short amounts of time during our busy season. I actually liked it. People appreciate some one who is nice to them and doesn't treat them like an idiot... I'm good at that! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Enjoy the job!

bullet2.gif

I declare myself to be the self-annointed voice of reason for PuF! Opinions expressed by Taskmaster are not necessarily those of Planet Unreal! :)

CHRYSt

Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Don't joke...I'm actually thinking about going to college and getting a career instead of a job.
I just still don't think I'll have the attention span for it any more now than I did 2 years ago.

bullet2.gif