PDA

View Full Version : U2 or UW????

Coffe fan
23rd Jun 2001, 03:00 PM
May confuse some guys:

U Warfare is an upgrade to UT online multiplayer experience while U2 upgrade the U1 SP experience. I´ve been reading about U2 and it will come with some UT game modes, is it needed in U2 with UW coming up too?

R u going to pick up U2 or UW first? Both using these cool particle effects, textures, lights, physics engine and so on.

ravenus
24th Jun 2001, 11:12 AM
Whatever be your cup of tea.
If there's a sufficient gap between the 2 I might pick up both

ViperXL
25th Jun 2001, 01:49 PM
from what it looks like to me U2 will be released more then a year before UW so i will be getting both of them :)

hal
25th Jun 2001, 04:07 PM
Yeah, U2 should be out long before UW is.

Deathwing
25th Jun 2001, 11:43 PM
It's not like I stick with just one option (single or multiplay). I love both. Unreal's singleplay experience was one of the best, likewise with UT's multiplayer. I'll probably get both, assuming they live up to expectations.

Coffe fan
26th Jun 2001, 09:31 AM
Hmm... When UW will hit stores?

Tetris L
26th Jun 2001, 02:37 PM
No release date for UW is official yet.
(Well, nothing is official about that game yet, except the name!)
But U2 is at least 1/2 year ahead of UW, that's for sure.

Destro
4th Jul 2001, 07:45 PM
Since Epic haven't started the development yet - and since the polycount will be far higher than U2 - expect it in stores about 3 years from now. Or more.

=Destro=

hal
5th Jul 2001, 06:21 AM
3 years sounds like a bit much. They're using the UW engine, not building a new one from scratch! A lot of the engine enhancements are already in place, I'd expect to see them working on maps soon, and getting the new interface and code finalized.

I think late 2002 or early 2003 at the latest.

ravenus
5th Jul 2001, 12:33 PM
:rolleyes: Lordy Destro where do you get such info from????
The Warfare engine is more or less feature-complete considering that U2 and UC both are in the offing in the next, say spring.
I'd say either late 2002/early 2003.

UnrealGrrl
6th Jul 2001, 12:18 PM
i do hope that unreal warfare (if thats what its called)will really be a sequel to ut and not a boring tribes like mega scale game...
dont change what works so well already, just make it better :>

Flare123
7th Jul 2001, 12:00 AM
well unreal sucked in my opionion, so im going with unreal warfare (UT2). ill just wait for Doom 3 for my single player fix.

Lodev
8th Jul 2001, 03:44 PM
No way d00d, Unreal2 is gonna r00l!!

hal
9th Jul 2001, 10:01 AM
Not at all interested in the multiplayer aspects of U2, Flare?

UnrealGrrl
9th Jul 2001, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by hal
Not at all interested in the multiplayer aspects of U2, Flare? well i most definitely am, in fact, since being hooked on ut online i cant imagine playing a game offline much :>

Zaccix
9th Jul 2001, 10:55 PM
The main thing to remember is that Unreal Warfare won't be "Unreal Tournament 2" unless Epic expressly say it is. At the moment, it looks like being a Tribes-like full scale warfare game, but much more advanced.

I think it's pretty kewl that two new chapters in the Unreal universe are coming out so close to each other. One thing I hope Legend/Epic can get right with both games is to put out enough media to generate interest, but not so much that it saturates the sites. Personally, I'm not gonna be reading any U2 reviews, because I wanna find out everything myself :)

Selerox
11th Jul 2001, 06:14 AM
News at E3 suggests a 1st 1/4 2002 release for U2, so the predictions of late 2002/new year 2003 seem pretty accurate.

UW will still come out before D4E tho :)

Blamfast
5th Aug 2001, 01:30 PM
Both.....and I`ll be buying a new PC just to play these games!

Probotector
16th Aug 2001, 12:33 PM
UW "real" name is "Dark Sector" unless you didn't knew. Dark Sector is the official followup to Unreal Tournament. Anyway since Unreal2 will be released before Dark Sector i guess i want that more...

Wh0racle
16th Aug 2001, 01:04 PM
multiplayer gaming is pushing away single player gaming, which is a shame. of course there are games like Soldier of Fortune 2 and Max Payne which only support single player, but if a game supports both single player and multiplayer, single player will drown in the multiplayer experience since so many are working harder and harder to get better and better multiplayer games.

Wh0racle
16th Aug 2001, 01:06 PM
But when creating the multiplayer part, I hope they're not making it too advanced. Easy to use is the way to go. They should not only appeal to the hardcore gamers, but also the ordinary gamers. If they go with Bill Roper's (from Blizzard) donut theory I think they could have a popular game appealing to all gamers.

Probotector
17th Aug 2001, 07:46 AM
U2 will have both a single player campaign and 3 ladders (similar to UT singleplayer ladder.) and exstensive multiplayer functions. (like UT multiplayer.)

Don't belive me? Check http://www.unreal2.com/ then!

Wh0racle
17th Aug 2001, 04:58 PM
umm... I already knew that, but I'm saying that I hope they focus a lot on making the single player experience something special, while still having good multiplayer... A lot of games miss out on one of them and focuses more on one than the other...

Krallopian
26th Aug 2001, 11:37 PM
I don't know about you guys... I haven't really followed UW's production other then the screenies.. but from what I remember and am to understand, is that Unreal Warfare is for PlayStation˛ only.............

- Krall

Post Scriptum: As for "Why get both if they have the same thing?" well if you get Unreal2 for the singleplayer so beit.. but if you want to play multiplayer, it's not like Epic is going to make you go buy UW and a PS2 just to do it.....

Krallopian
26th Aug 2001, 11:38 PM
ZACCIX!!!!! Nice registeration date too! ;)

- Krall

IntRed
27th Aug 2001, 06:22 AM
Didn't they allready started on uw maps?
i remember seeing a pic of a desktop of a dev team member, and it was of uw, its was some sort of canyon map, any1 remember that?
or was it u2 map?

Machismo
27th Aug 2001, 08:14 AM
Yeah it was Warren Marshall's deaktop pic. But I think it was just to show case the Matinee tool. Next to the terrain tool this is the tool I'd love to lay my hands on. MOvie Time. I see that they just updated the interpolation script :P its so complex now its probably unrecognizable.