do you type GG or is it bound?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

do you type GG or is it bound?

• I type it

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • I have it bound to a key

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
I have a keybind for "GG?? If that was a GG, then what is a bad game for you?"

I find myself saying "GG" less and less often. Only after games that deserve it; i.e. less than 20% of all games. And then there are these very few games (maybe 1 in 50) that deserve a "VGG!".

People who type "GG" after *every* game (at least when they win) are lame. It's like that stupid habit of asking everybody "How are you?" when infact you actually give a rats ass about how he is. A "GG" after you have stomped the opponent team 10-0 is a slap in their face and the exact opposite of what "GG" originally meant to say.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Cleaner
I have a keybind for "GG?? If that was a GG, then what is a bad game for you?"

I find myself saying "GG" less and less often. Only after games that deserve it; i.e. less than 20% of all games. And then there are these very few games (maybe 1 in 50) that deserve a "VGG!".

People who type "GG" after *every* game (at least when they win) are lame. It's like that stupid habit of asking everybody "How are you?" when infact you actually give a rats ass about how he is. A "GG" after you have stomped the opponent team 10-0 is a slap in their face and the exact opposite when "GG" originally meant to say.

Hmm, I always say "Hi folks, how is everyone?" when I enter a game...sometimes I say "Mind if I join?". It's a good way to sniff out the people with better attitudes...those that respond with a "Hi" back or a "Good and you?" usually end up being people that are a great time to play with.

And I always type out "Good game folks!" after a game.

I guess it just goes back to my manners/politeness attitude I have from the good old quake1 days.

[ReZ]BullDog

Feb 6, 2001
Bristol, UK
rezerection.moonfruit.com
/me types it

I disagree with that Cleaner. I view the 'gg' as a kind of handshake for the game just played. It's not meant as a put down for the people who have lost but recognition that they have taken part.

Would you refuse the hand of your opponent(s) after a game of tennis/footie/softball/rugby whatever?

It can be hard to do after a thorough trouncing but I think of it as good manners. Mind you I don't notice or care if no-one else types it.
It's a personal thang I spose.
:)

I type it. it's too short to qualify for one of my keys (keyboard real estate is valuable on my UT)

saying that, though, I do have a "hello!" bind, for when I enter. There's normally a few people I recognise on most of the servers I play, so it doesn't often fall on deaf ears.

if my team wins 10-0, I'll either keep quiet, or apologise, depending on the opposition.

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
I have a bind that says "Great game!! That rocked!!!" But usually I just type in "gg".

I have a bind for "Good luck and have fun!" that I hit at the beginning of games.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Originally posted by [DFL]BullDog
/me types it

I disagree with that Cleaner. I view the 'gg' as a kind of handshake for the game just played. It's not meant as a put down for the people who have lost but recognition that they have taken part.

I have to agree with BullDog on this...I don't care if I just got smacked down 25-0, it's still nice to have the other play say GG.

I usually start a match out with "Good Luck and have fun :)" which I don't have bound, but guess I could. Having it bound would make it feel less personal somehow.

-I_AM{skullface}

Allison

I need more cowbell!
Sep 8, 2000
Visit site
I agree with BullDog. I view "gg" as a sort of after-game handshake. I always do it, unless someone is a jerk.

And speaking from the perspective of someone who almost always gets stomped, :D I'm a little insulted if I don't get a "gg" from the person who did the stomping. It's like they're saying I'm not worth their time.....which, I'm probably not....but still....throw a dog a bone. lol :D

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
I used to have both "GG" and "I SuK" bound to keys. Now I just type out the gg because I needed the keys for other binds and I just let other people tell me that I SuK! :D

Odie|BuF

May 31, 2001
independence,mo
rsuodie.homestead.com
:) i aint the best player but i am a help an i lose a lot but always type gg to me it aint a slapn the face if the winning teams says gg ,as we all know we dont win them all ,if an when i leave a server i say goodbye an thanx for the play time win or lose its all about respect an sportsmanship

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by [DFL]BullDog

Would you refuse the hand of your opponent(s) after a game of tennis/footie/softball/rugby whatever?
The equivalent to a real life sports match would be a clanmatch. Yes, after a clanmatch I always say "Good Game", "Well played" or "Thanks for the game", regardless of the score and I don't mind the opponent team saying things like that, no matter how hard we got beaten.

But a public server is a totally different story. IMHO the fact alone that one team stomps the other 10-0 shows that they are bad sports. If they had some sense of fairplay and fun they would have switched a player or two to balance the game. Like I said: I feel a "GG" after such a game as a slap in the face. You could translate it as "Thanks for being so stupid as to stay and serve us as cannonfodder." Pah, in that case I spit on your "GG"! :mad:

Buscemi

Lost and cannot be found
May 1, 2001
Far away from here
www.zombo.com
I type it, it ain't that much of a trouble. Anyways i say it most of the time. Not when so people were being a llama or so.......
But i find even when you're being 0wned you should say GG. Plain sportmanship.