My firends UT server

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HaVoC_Me

Nov 11, 1999
members.xoom.com
Ok, i'll try to describe his sytem as best as I can....

He has a 1.3 GigHz CPU, I *think* AMD, not sure

256PC133 RAM

Voodoo3 TV tuner card.

unknown HD

He has a DSL connection.

He also has about 5 computers hooked up to it, forming a in house LAN. as he has a degree in networking, im sure all that set up is correct.

He sometimes sets up a server on his computer to play with friends when they come over to play. we hook up to his LAN and he makes the game on his system.

He runs a shoutcast server too. small server, 24/22 so i dont *think* it takes much bandwidth, he usually has about 3-7 ppl on listening.

thats the best i know of his set-up.

would it best for him to run a dedicated server on his box and the start UT again and play off that, or start UT and make a game?

the other boxes that are his aren't good enough to run UT, they are mainly there for storage and I think just because he likes it :p

the only pl that play on it are hooked up to the lan.

sometimes he has a game going on the LAN, but i can tap into it too by way of my cable modem at home and play there.

seeing as he has DSL and I have cable, i didnt think lag would be a problem. but it is. i consistently get jumpy ping, phone jacks, and PL. while keeping his server optimized for a LAN setup, what can he do to make it better for a net person to hop in?

he runs the server with a max of 12 ppl, I knows dropping that to about 4 or 6 would be a good start, anything else?

I read the post about posting as much as you know. thats as much as I know :p

L0sT(NDS)

Human Swiss Army Knife
Jun 19, 2001
Atlanta, GA, USA
www.planetunreal.com
about servers

you have to realize than your friend is hosting a server, who's role is to do ALL the math for ALL the players simultaneously, and then throw packets to whoever has the highest priority at the time. with you being on a cable modem, your connection goes like this:

Your machine, your ISP network, his ISP network, his machine

whereas on a LAN, the connection goes like this:

Your Machine, his Machine

you're gonna get a slower connect speed because packets must be routed to all those places, and depending on the stability of the networks that they're routed to, some information may get lost.

other than that, there's not much more I could tell you, as in some situations. lag just happens, try to get a little more information on what is going on with his nework before you log on.