Robar needs more penetrating power.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Probably a bug, and not a true new version suggestion.

Dr.Beer suggested a test on a server. Dr Beer and Pike (he had the rc-50) were both on blue, and i was on red. Dr Beer and I lined up, me in front and Piker fired. I died, Dr Beer didn't even get hurt.

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
I have also had this problem offline...two bots walking one behind the other, I shot one in the chest, he died but the guy behind him didn't. It's happened several times, actually.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
doesn't the current ammo type have a fragmenting bullet?
and perhaps the inf team has the bullet slow down ALOT. How close were you to each other/ to the gun?

oh, and was team damage on?

Hub

May 29, 2001
Visit site
According to the INF Armory section, the ROBAR currently only uses the M33 Ball ammo. I picked up this info from a site that sells surplus military ammo:

50 Caliber M33 Ball:

The M33 is the standard target practice and training projectile, and is used in combat against lightly armored vehicles and unprotected targets. They have a solid mild steel core with a gilding metal jacket. A lead closure disc on the bottom gives the appearance of a lead core, but this is only a thin sealing disc. Bullet weight is a nominal 647 grains, with no paint on the tip.

I would expect that if it is used against light armour, the bullet probably resists fragmentation, especially since it is made of mild steel (not as brittle as hardened steel). I noted that in testing, "light armour" was 7/8" thick angled at 30 degrees.

Hub

May 29, 2001
Visit site
I just meant that if the bullet can go through more than an inch nominal of armour plate, then it will go through a few people (and cinder block walls, wooden fences, and just about anything else it runs into). I read that the Barrett, which is also .50 cal, can penetrate up to 4" of armour with it's special AP round. Imagine what that would have been like during World War 2? Most tanks wouldn't have stood a chance against infantry armed with those things...An incendiary round into the ammo bin, or through the engine block, and you have a 35 ton lawn ornament.

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
Originally posted by Hub
Imagine what that would have been like during World War 2? Most tanks wouldn't have stood a chance against infantry armed with those things...An incendiary round into the ammo bin, or through the engine block, and you have a 35 ton lawn ornament.

Been done.

Hub

May 29, 2001
Visit site
Gholam:

Nice to see another WW2 history buff. Yes, the Sov AT rifles had a certain amount of success vs some of the lighter German tanks- the Barrett is several orders of magnitude more powerful. I was wondering how much more useful the AT rifle may have become if there had been something as powerful as the Barrett around...

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
I'm not sure Barrett M82A1 is that much more powerful... it's certainly easier to shoot, but the soviet 14.5x114mm round has about 50% more energy than .50cal BMG, and PTRD/PTRS had a longer barrel than M82A1 as well.

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
No, u´re all wrong!!!! |:^)>

A .50 big bullet will only pass thru someone in a headshot. A torso shot is too heavy for the bullet to pass...

---------------------kidding----------------------

Well, I belive that this is a thing of the actual version, not a bug.

Due to balancig stuff, the robar is too powerfull, and even more to kill 2-3 guys in a SINGLE left leg thumb shot. See, it´s like the AWP - CS - stuff. We all know that a bullet like that can penetrate layers and layers of concrete, so why not a fckin body??? Out two???

Balancig stuff.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Balancing of weapon characteristics=BAD, just look at CS and Firearms and se what happens if you start pulling that crap.

OT about AT rifles, managed to stop a russian KV-1 heavy tank once with AT rifles in Close Combat 3, i didn't actually blow it up but i had like a dozen AT gunners fire at it for several minutes, in the end the crew just panicked and ran out :) (KV-1 has absolutely NOTHING to fear from at rifles, not even from most tanks in the time it saw action, it has a 76mm short main gun, a bow coaxial and >rear< machine gun combined with quite thick sloped armor).

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
The Infiltration Robar and the Counter-Strike AWP are two completely different situations.

The AWP had a crosshair like everyother weapon in CS, which allowed it to be used with some effectiveness in CQB. The damage modeling has a far greater range of extremes (ie 12 body shots with an MP5 to kill someone) compared to Infiltration's 3 body shots with an M9. And the very nature of HL maps and choke points which insured that someone would stumble across your path if you waited long enough.