How to disassemble and clean/repair an MS Intellimouse

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DedMeat

Dapper Rat
May 9, 2000
Great Britain
From the article:
My mouse didn't break itself......some bear got inside the mouse (and in this case it is necessary to clean it completely).

LOL how the hell do you get a bear inside an intellimouse :D

T

Terminal {DTH}

5??? what is that pinky button?
had no idea it was made. had my 4 button wheel optie intellimouse...... well since sortly after then came out really. never had a prob. ok, not TOTALLY honest there, i had to clean some of the caked gunk out from around the thumb button and the wheel. two years(?) of grime can get pertty disgusting. :hmm:
slowing down my wheel litterally gumming up the thumb button so it stuck at times. hate to be in games and cant STOP firing secondary weapons. damn waste of ammo that. a toothpick however took care of that easally enough. :)

al bundy: "let's rock":p

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
MS Intelimouse optical

The ad I saw said (among other) "You never have to clean the ball"
"Allrite!", I thought an bought.
Then I spend my day cleaning the buttons instead...

(and, Yes, it's verry annoying that the shots comes 1/4 second too late because of dirt, so that you miss every sweet shot...)

I have an annoying knack of destroying microsoft Mice. It started with my nice 5button Intellieye explorer. After a couple of months, I noticed it double-clicking, when I had only pressed it the once. I did disassemble it, but it was just a microswitch, so I put it back together again. I unplugged it from the USB port, still did it. I *borrowed* a brand new Intellimouse (standard, ball, 2 buttons and a wheel) this lasted a month or so, and the exact same thing happened. I *borrowed* another one, this lasted a month, so I got yet another (which I'm using now) and now *that* one is doing it....
I would get a Logitech, but they don't fit my hand as well...

Any ideas what could cause this? or better yet, how I'd fix it?

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Hey drunkenmaster. I have the same problems.
I think it's the microswitch that is giving up. To hot on the fire-button :D

zercius

Son´s of Dune
Jun 17, 2001
spain
Visit site
Then the only solution is using your fingers connect it to usb and and.........lol !!!!!!you wont have any problems anymore!!!!!! jijijij

No its a joke............ i have the same ******** problem.

You be dead!!!!!!!:D :redflag:

RitualSuicide

mortiferous pageantry
Jan 5, 2000
CA, US
www.ritualsuicide.com
Originally posted by drunkenmaster2000
I have an annoying knack of destroying microsoft Mice.

As do I. I've suffered pretty much every problem there is with MS opticals, from the cord shorting, to sticky and double-clicky, to messed up tracking, etc.

The one nice thing is; every time I complain to Microsoft, they just send me a brand new one. The last one seems to be the best and is (so far) working perfectly. Plus, I've got the four (yes, they've sent me FOUR replacements) old mice in a box as backup mice for my other systems. Ironically, I originally purchased the cheap "Inellimouse with IntelliEye" (not the "Intellimouse Optical") for only $19.99, yet they replaced it (and each other since) with the more expensive mouse.

Now if they'd just stop sending me free mice, I might go get a Logitech.

TwoHardCore

Feb 1, 2000
Calgary, Canada
heh,

I went through 2 Intellimouse Opticals within a month or 2, and decided to quit with the crap MS hardware and bought a Logitech Optical, and it's run absolutely perfect for 1.5 years now!!! No missed clicks, tracks awesome (like the MS did) and buttons still working great!

So I'm not so sure that it's a wear & tear issue with those MS mice, cause I've had 2 buggy ones (still have one collecting dust) that did that.

T

Terminal {DTH}

hey, i keep over and over again posting about what to do to help with optical mousies not working right but am damned tired of repeting myself, for once.
all ill say at this point is that its nice not having to keep cleaning my balls so often. :p :D :p

ShinyObject

You're making me blush.
Jun 14, 2000
Ohio
Thanks Swedix, but this post was two weeks late for me. ;) My cord broke at the point that it goes in the mouse.

I had to cut and rewire all four wires in there. Now it works good as new! :D

It took me forever to figure out that there were screws UNDER the pads! DOH!