Night's Edge suggestion?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Did anyone play the new mod released yet, Night's Edge? They have a VERY sophisticated recoil and aiming system for scoped weapons. If INF had this kind of weapon scope problems, people would use scopes far less.

Download the mod and give it a go... it has an excellent scope solution. You can't run with scopes, and if you run while aiming out of iron sights, your shots will be spread all over the place (currently in INF the bobbles of the gun are purely cosmetic).

Although the game itself is unrealistic (40 Mp5k rounds to the chest?), the ideas they are pretty good. I think the INF team should use some of these ideas. This single idea alone would reduce run and gun and CQB w/ scopes to almost zero. In fact, in Night's Edge I find myself crouching, and taking steady aim than I do in any game.

Sorry to anyone if I sound like I am pimping the mod... but they have some really good ideas that the INF team could use/implement.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
i find it rather irritating you cannot move at all with the scope
Sometimes i would want to WALK so i can get a slightly better angle...
but yeah, the running and aiming part is annoying to hit anything - but it should be.

yurch

You CAN walk while looking through the scope... it just bobbles like hell (almost an unrealistic bobble).

It does stop run and gun scope battles though. To see through the scope, you have to walk, you can't sprint. You can't hit anything either, but I guess that is not your intention. :D

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
Anyways running with the scope is unrealistic since you would get a black eye and it wouldnt move in tandem with your head. Walking with a scope is realistic thoguh.

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
That would be cool. But I was playing Night's Edge. How the hell do you get the iron sights up? It wouldn't do it. Oh yeah plus Inf Lite won't work on my machine for some reason. I know that doesn't really belong here but I was talkin about something not working so ahh what the hell.

Plus if I was runnin with a sniper rifle (in RL) with the scope in my eye, I'm so clumsy I'd fall the rifle would lodge in the ground and the scope would like poke my eyeball out. lol

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
It's a mod with potential... nighst edge, am looking foward to their next release. Love the aiming system, it's almost as good as Inf's in some aspects even better (love the way they make the difference between pistols assault rifles and smg's accuracy).

[STH]Bad Mojo

Jun 18, 2001
www.rps.net
Originally posted by Elite_Soldier
Although the game itself is unrealistic (40 Mp5k rounds to the chest?), the ideas they are pretty good. I think the INF team should use some of these ideas.

I just had to respond. :D Night's Edge isn't a realistic mod. It's set in the future and the body armor is pretty decent. That also explains the laser rifle and laser handgun included in the game. I suppose the best description of Night's Edge isn't a realistic FPS, but a believable cyberpunk FPS.

I had no idea people were looking at NE so heavily in these forums so I've been reading a lot of the posts here this morning. The feedback is pretty good (wether good or bad things are being talking about). Heading back to read more. Thanks to everyone who DLed the MOD and gave it a shot! I know the NE team appreciates the attention and any feedback you guys have.

[121st]Burton

full-auto SIG abuser
Feb 7, 2000
I really liked this mod. I am very surprised and had a blast playing with bots. I also like this "cyberpunk" setting.
The guns are very nice and I like the aiming system a lot.

Thumbs up for this mod!!! :D

[STH]Bad Mojo

Jun 18, 2001
www.rps.net
Originally posted by The_Fur
too bad there isn't any MP support, would have had a blast doing assault on-line with that.

There is multiplayer support. I played for a good bit online last night. Right now, there are no dedicated servers. Something the team is working hard on getting set up ASAP. KEep your eyes peeled for listen servers and the like in the meantime.

J

Little Johnny no!
Jan 19, 2001
Just a quick idea

I remember a mod for UT that would rewrite the sniper rifle's scope, so that you could run around like normal (shooting from the hip) but in the lower right quarter of the screen, the full zoom (and scaled down) scope was visible.<BR><BR>
I'd imagine that if I were watching a target but changing my position, I'd keep the gun on my shoulder but I would be using my peripheral vision to see what I was doing. I could immediately go back to aiming through the scope at my target.<BR><BR>
How about mixing these together? Bringing a scoped weapon to your shoulder makes it look similar to the P90 (the gun/scope is in front of your face, but you still have a full field of vision.) Keeping the gun on your shoulder while walking around would make aiming almost impossible - there's a rather large scope obstructing your line of sight. Holding your breath would cause you to look through the scope, just as you're used to doing.<BR><BR>
I'm aware that the P90 isn't scoped, but it is the only glass sight rifle, which made it a good example.

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
I d/l Night's Edge and I like it. The exaggerrated bobble when moving stops the 'running and gunning'...you pretty much HAVE to aim to hit anything further than 5 feet away. It definitely takes a little getting used to. Can you set up matches where you are alone vs. a nunber of bots? I tried but have had no success.

[STH]Bad Mojo

Jun 18, 2001
www.rps.net
Originally posted by yurch
yeah, but i could hold a gun straighter than THAT. wee bit too much on the bobble...

I can also hold my breath longer than some games allow my character when swimming underwater. It's not always cut and dry when trying to bring a certain level of difficulty or balance to a game.