That jerk Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Wrecka

Mar 31, 2000
England
www.dawrecka.ic24.net
Now, I consider myself a reasonable man. I am quite willing to accept the odd out-of-the-blue system freeze, and games sometimes dropping below a reasonable framerate because of my conservative tastes in graphics card. (TNT1) But to say I am fed up of Unreal constantly grinding away at the hard disk, regardless of the fact that I have 64MB of memory and I've set the Unreal cache to 56MB, and that I always close any programs that could be gobbling up the gigabytes (metaphorically speaking) before starting would be understatement in the extreme. I am so pissed-off with it that I am this *holds fingers less than a millimetre apart* close to conducting an experiment to see how many pieces I can smash my Unreal CD into. And yes, I do have all the updates, including the v2.25 update. Is there anything you can tell me to do to save the little plastic one, which is shaking in terror and praying as we speak?

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
For the game not to swop you need to have at least 128 Megs of RAM. That is were your problem is.

bullet2.gif

I'll eat your gun lead and sh*t out No.2 pencils!

Da Wrecka

Mar 31, 2000
England
www.dawrecka.ic24.net
Oh, I can cope with swapping. It's just constant swapping I can't stand. If it swapped now and again, or a couple of times each level, I could cope. But no, frequently this bastard will be doing so much swapping that it's in stasis for about 60 seconds. And that's no exaggeration.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Sounds like you might need to free up some system resources. Check your system resources and let me know what percentage it is at.

bullet2.gif

Da Wrecka

Mar 31, 2000
England
www.dawrecka.ic24.net
OK, any suggestions as to how to free up system resources after closing all the programs in the system tray and on the taskbar would be appreciated. I can't get it over 75%.

bullet2.gif

The moonlight carries the message of love - the love of killing!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Check out a few free utilities at http://www.pcworld.com/ . Somthing like RAM Booster or Start Up Cop might be a good place to start. When you close out programs from the task manager they don't always relinquish control of their resources.

Something else to check is the amount of RAM Unreal uses. Look in the advanced setting menu...the default is something like 4MB. You can increase it.

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Assuming you are running Win 98 do this. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information. Under Tools go to System Configuration Utility. Then click the Startup Tab. Under there uncheck everything EXCEPT EXPLORER AND SYSTEMTRAY. This should free up a ton of resources.

bullet2.gif

[This message has been edited by BillyBadAss (edited 04-03-2000).]

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Holy Shit!

I just read this thread and tried that Win98 SysCon utility. I have a scanner and photo-imaging software, and had no idea I was running so much crap on startup!

Thanks, that really helps! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

"A chainsaw! find some meat!"

Da Wrecka

Mar 31, 2000
England
www.dawrecka.ic24.net
My resources were 75% free...now they're 83% free. Not a great deal of difference, really. And it sure as hell doesn't have effect in Unreal...

bullet2.gif

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Since you are using a TNT card, are you using D3D? OpenGL sucks *** in Unreal and will cause the same problem as you described.

bullet2.gif

Ansible

Mar 26, 2000
Visit site
What CPU do you have ? Also, go into control panel ->> system ->> performance tab ->> Virtual memory ->> set both the min and max to 200meg. Now, start menu ->> run ->> type "msconfig" without the quotes, hit enter, move to the startup tab and de-select anything you do not need. This will remove these from the boot up sequence. If you want to put them back, just open up msconfig again, and re-select them.

On my system I get no caching what so ever running unreal at 800x600 with everything on, k6/2-350, 64meg RAM, 8meg V2 and an extremelly pimped out install of win98fe.

Da Wrecka

Mar 31, 2000
England
www.dawrecka.ic24.net
You people are making me extremely jealous. I have my swapfile set to 200MB, but I just can't get a decent framerate in D3D on my AMD K6-2 400MHz, 64MB SDRAM, and Riva TNT. On Windows 98 (first edition) and at ****ing 400x300 for crying out loud!!!

bullet2.gif

Ansible

Mar 26, 2000
Visit site
When was the last time you reinstalled windows ? If you answer over 4-5 months, it has been to long. That MAY help your caching, it did for me. I had an 8 month old install of windows and had moderate caching, then I did a complete windows reinstall, and bye bye caching!

--- edit,

why dont you list your entire system spec for us ? mobo, hdd's, memory type, everything.

[This message has been edited by Ansible (edited 04-08-2000).]

Da Wrecka

Mar 31, 2000
England
www.dawrecka.ic24.net
When was the last time I reinstalled Windows? Oh, let me think...2 days ago.

The MB is...I'm not sure who made it, but it has an ALi ALADDIN5 chipset. The memory type I already mentioned, SDRAM.

It's got a 6Gb UDMA33 hard disk and a 40x CD-ROM. What relevance the CD has, I don't know, but you said the whole thing.

The modem is a Conexant SoftK56 Data,Fax,Speakerphone PCI Modem (pasted straight out of the Modems box) and the soundcard is a YAMAHA OPL3-SA3C.

I'm using DirectX 7.0a at the moment.

Anything else after this little lot?

Ansible

Mar 26, 2000
Visit site
OK, remove all traces of the sound card from control panel ->> system ->> device manager. Shut down, power off. Pull out the sound card and lay it aside. Start back up. Open unreal. Turn OFF all sound in advanced options. Now play. If everything is better, you should go out and buy a SBlive value($35). I am working on some other possible solutions.

--- edit

If all that fails, try the patch in this dir.

[This message has been edited by Ansible (edited 04-09-2000).]

Da Wrecka

Mar 31, 2000
England
www.dawrecka.ic24.net
I very much doubt that the soundcard is the cause. After all, EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME - Quake 2, UT, G-Police, anything you care to mention - works without ANY problems. Note the inclusion of Unreal Tournament. ONLY Unreal thrashes the hard drive needlessly. Note heavy emphasis on ONLY...

Status
Not open for further replies.