Copy and Paste question.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wegg

Jun 13, 2001
Utah
www.eggington.net
I have made some old rickety wooden stairs. There are a bunch of different parts that make up the stairs and so in order to make life easier for myself I grouped them together. Now I would like to copy and paste that group so I can have stairs in another area of the map. But I wanted these second set of stairs to be slightly different. So I went into the virtex edit and messed around with some of the brushes on the second set of stairs. Low and behold. . . the first set of stairs changed as well! So what I assume is happening. . . is that copy and paste creates instances of the origional brushes and not whole new brushes.

How does one copy the work done on one brush and then make changes to that second brush without it affecting the oritional brush?

Apart

Jan 28, 2001
England, Kent
planetunreal.com
Yep I have had this to, the only explanation is like you said that it creates instances when you copy and paste so whatever you do to the one is applied to the other. The best way to go about this would then be to copy the stair polygons to brush and then vertex edit your red builder brush before adding or subtracting it to your level. this way a new brush is created and not an instance... hope that helps :)

Apart

Jan 28, 2001
England, Kent
planetunreal.com
Ok Select your stair brush, right click on it and select from the popup menu Polygons ---> To Brush. Your brush is now surrounded by an exact copy in the form of that red builder brush. Now vertex edit that and then add or subtact it. Have fun. If your stairs are made up of quite a few brushes you will need to intersect them first. To do this place a red builder brush around the stairs and press the intersect button. Voila the stairs are copied to a single brush that won't affect the parent when changed...

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Why not duplicate all the brushes in the group? Shortcut is Ctrl+W.

I actually prefer duplicating and vertex editing to creating new brushes from scratch. I'm used to this procedure from other proggies but it might also be just a bad habit.

The copy paste thing is interesting, I just tested it and it works! Should save a lot of work when you want multiple copies of the same brush, for decorations or something.

I haven't seen anybody mention this before, seems like UnrealEd still has some secrets to unveil.