Is the shot gun to strong?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MoNDoGuY

Groin grabbingly good!
Apr 5, 2001
CANADA!!!!!
ghost.clanpages.com
Well is it? I'm not trying to bitch or whine, I'm just wondering if the strength is realistic. To me it seems to strong but I'm no gun expert.

Also how does the shotty fair up against amor?

Camel_Toe(l)

Form Fitting
Mar 19, 2001
Not Toledo!
Mondo, yea I think it's strong, but not because of shot power. It's the fact that you can pull 8 shots off faster than the ak. That's what makes it too powerful!

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
no, the shotgun is not too strong. Its supposed to be a cqb weapon. A close range blast IRL would leave a helluva wound, if it didn't kill you first.
Shotgun pellets usually do pretty poor against body armor, esp at the longer ranges.
Ive used shotguns for hunting (there are four in my family) - close range shots are usually frowned on (they practically rip the target in half)
And yes, semi-auto shotguns do fire that fast.
I think the pattern is a bit too wide to be realistic - but on the other hand, tightening it up would result in the shotgun being more deadly(in the right hands)

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
nah,
At a long range (longer than what it seems in inf), the kick makes it kinda hard to aim accurately.(of course, i am shooting at small, fast targets like birds/clays). It may take a half-second to realign a second shot - you have to factor in lead.
But at close range, not a problem at all.
Benellis are known for having a fast mechanisim, and are usually pretty good about kick. Shotguns are heavy compared to some of the SMGs, so it shouldn't be a problem.

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
What I've heard from other people who have used shotguns in real life is basically that in INF they are completely wrong.

The close range spread is way too much. Like 10 feet from the muzzle the pellets are spread way out. In real life it should only be a very tiny grouping.

The maximum effective range is also way too short. I guess in real life they are effective between 50-100m depending on choke. In INF you're lucky to get a single pellet on somebody at like 35m.

Basically they are too much like the "doom" style shotguns. Realistically it'd be more like an SMG that shoots it's entire mag at the same time.

funkstylz

I CLEAN TEH LATRINE
Mar 15, 2000
Bris. QLD, Oz
www.funkstylz.com
I would wait for the new shotty to be implemented before going over this...I'm not sure the current one was done as was originally intended. In any case, I think it's pretty well balanced...this is pretty much the first I've heard of it being to strong.

deck

Jan 23, 2001
man

Gawd, all i see is people wanting to take all my fun away. First the nades. I get 2 now. Now you people are bitching about the shotgun. Cmon.. Get over it, or go camp, and try to hit me from across the map.
Dont touch the shotgun, its fine, it works great, last long time. Or untill i run out of shells. Which btw, limits the shotguns capibility already.

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
The shotgun power is fine, but I think the pellets should have a tighter formation at close to medium range. And maybe the kick should be greater when firing the M1 or M3 in quick succession. But, we haven't seen what the M1 is like, so maybe the pellets will be closer together, and with the iron sights fixed the gun would be harder to aim and fire fast. The biggest problem now though is the pellet spread, makes it too easy to hit someone. And the pellet power should be very limited at long range, as to prevent shotgun sniping. IIRC, there is an actual "sniper shotgun" though. :D But the name eludes me at the moment. :)

(IRL, shotgun spread is pretty tight though, right?)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
What is this "choke"-setting that's mentioned ?

Is it something a 'user' could modify (either in the field or before going into battle) ?

If it is adjustable, it sounds like something which should be in Inf if possible.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
The Choke is a little bottleneck in the barrel that either expands or contracts your grouping with buckshot. I dont think INF will have an adjustable choke, but hey, I wouldn't complain if they did.

Camel_Toe(l)

Form Fitting
Mar 19, 2001
Not Toledo!
I wouldn't mind the idea of a tighter grouping at short ranges. If you currently fire at wall from across a small room (say 30 feet) the spread is about 4 ft x 4 ft. Definately a little large.

I know people in other threads have discussed different ammo for the same guns, how about shotgun slugs? I'm not really that serious about the suggestion though...:D