help with controls

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

iggystar

Feb 12, 2001
USA
Visit site
You know how when you double tap the "left" key your guy will jump quickly to the left?

Can I bind that jump to a single keystroke? If so, how?

Thanks
:)

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
This is a very common question and can therefor be found in our PuF UT FAQ which I can only recommend.

That jump is called dodge and fortunatly can NOT be bound to a single key. It's about some skill and not who has the best keybinds :)
Practise offline with low-difficulty bots and only dodge. With some practise you will get used to it

iggystar

Feb 12, 2001
USA
Visit site
well the thing is, I'm actually not that bad with dodge...in fact I'm pretty good. There are, however, some people who are just freaking amazing at it. So good, in fact, that I'm working under the assumption that they are using binds or macros. That was why I asked.

I suppose they could still be using hardware solutions that simulate a double tap to get the dodge, but I just wanted to see if there were a software solution in UT.

or they could just be that good. But I always work under the assumption that people like to cheat and if they can find a way to do so they will. So I just get curious when I see somebody who's skills are amazingly beyond mine because I'm usually a very good player.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Well there are some rumors to make one-button dodging with prgammable joysticks etc. as you said. But no real proof if they work reliable.
I guess 99% of what you see is real skill

iggystar

Feb 12, 2001
USA
Visit site
Hardware works reliably. I got so curious about people dodging in UT that I tested it with the programmable joystick I got to play Mech Warrior with. I was a hopping, dodging, strafing fool...but I dont use it for 2 reasons. 1) It feels like cheating and 2) a joystick is really clunky for unreal (in my opinion)

That's why I asked about a software solution in unreal. I suppose if it's a tool provided by the game designer then it would be hard to call it cheating and I was thinking that maybe that's how people were doing it.

I am certain, however, that hardware solutions work and they work pretty easily. Only took about 15 mins for me to program, fine tune, and test the joystick. If it works you have to assume people are using it. Some people can't stand *not* to cheat.

Oh well, I just suffer through my average dodging skill level. Maybe I'll mess around with my keyboard layout then..find some better controls.

Jul 22, 2000
Yeah, I can bind dodge to my mouse buttons (1 press), but it doesn't make the game easier to be honest... I don't use it tho, Got my RL and shockrfile binded instead :D