Alternate Pathing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sparax-C1-

Jan 13, 2001
Visit site
I was botpathing all last night and got pretty good at most of it. I used some alternate paths and found that my bots did on occasion take different routes on their way to the NME flag.

The question I have is about selectionweight. I am assuming this is what decides which alternate path the bots are likely to take. The default is 1.0, does this mean it will be 100% they will take it? If I put two alternate paths by each other, each one leading to a diff route, and set both their selection weights at .5, is this going to make the bots take both routes about the same number of times? Or am I doing it all wrong?

Also, I read in a tutorial that when putting alternate paths, you need two right by each other, each one going to different paths. Is it possible to use 3 or more at one junction?

Sorry about all the questions, I have a new found hate for botpathing but I want to do it right. It is the last thing left on this map before Im finally through, w00t!

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
-Alternatepaths are used for defining attack routes into the enemy base. So I can't see any point in placing several APs next to each other. ..Well, if you have a junction and three or four routes can be taken from that point then, sure, you should place three/four APs léeading into the different routes.

-The selectionweight setting is relative. You raise the value of the one which you want the bots to take more often. (Better route or bots ignore it...)
Playtest it a bit and see...:D

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
If you have 2 alternate paths with selection weight of 1.0 the bots will choose the Shortest Path which means no alternate path at all 33% of the time and the other 2 paths 33% of the time each. If you have 3 alternate paths then each of the 3 would have a 25% weight. Raising the selection weight will increase the possiblility of them taking that route but I'm not sure how much. There is no Uscript for alternate paths so I don't know. Probably is in the C++ code. I'll have to look at the UT source code and see if I can find it in the Navigation code. I was going to write an alternate path tutorial a while back since I seem to be the only one that truely knows how the work. Maybe I'll still do that when I find that code.