Rape

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Is it just me, or does using the word "RAPE" in UT seem pretty terrible?

It drives me nuts, the word RAPE is a strong word, describing a terrible, violent act.

Does anyone realize that 1 out of 4 women in college are date raped? That's disgusting...it's disgusting how many people there are in this word sexually assaulting other.

It's too bad to see 13 year old kids saying "I raped that guy"...and there is even a clan called RAPE. :(

-I_AM{skullface}

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Some people would say the same thing about the overuse of the term "gay" or "bitch" or any other number of horrible things people say to eachother on an everyday basis in the name of "fun".

It takes alot to offend me(usually), but that's cause I always look at things in the context of which they are taken. As long as I know the person using it understands the true meaning and reprecussions of the words they use then it usually doesn't bother me at all.

Online I take everything with a grain of salt. I've heard some of the worst things in my life on the internet. If you take it too seriously you will go insane. :(

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
It makes me mad when I see people making light of things are horrible as rape. But you have to understand that the maturity level of most of these people isn't very high. A 13 year old will say things without realizing the meaning behind them. Being a copycat is cool at that age. Especially in a mature game.

Having a clan with that name is much worse, mostly because it's a tag that someone would carry around with them.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
God knows we don't want use a "strong word, describing a terrible, violent act" to describe the act of running about a small area with large caliber weaponry, launching small missles, sawblades, plasma and itty bits of green glowing industrial goo at people, in order to not only kill them with extreme prejudice, but in the hopes of pummelling their body with enough explosive force to rip it into small little giblets shooting forth in all directions spraying blood on anything within reach.

Nope, wouldn't want a bad word to describe such a clean, wholesome act.

Not that I don't understand what you mean, it's just kind of ironic when put in that context. :hmm:

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Originally posted by SimplyCosmic
God knows we don't want use a "strong word, describing a terrible, violent act" to describe the act of running about a small area with large caliber weaponry, launching small missles, sawblades, plasma and itty bits of green glowing industrial goo at people, in order to not only kill them with extreme prejudice, but in the hopes of pummelling their body with enough explosive force to rip it into small little giblets shooting forth in all directions spraying blood on anything within reach.

Nope, wouldn't want a bad word to describe such a clean, wholesome act.

Not that I don't understand what you mean, it's just kind of ironic when put in that context. :hmm:

LOL...how did I know that SC would come after me! :)

True true SC, but UT is a GAME.

RAPE is real.

I also think that using the term "gay" is ridiculous...it's unbelievable to me that people still use that term when insulting each other. To be so close minded as to believe that using the term "gay" or "fag" wouldn't be very offensive to certain people. That's as bad as using racist remarks.

But hey, I guess it really is a maturity thing.

I just find it hard to imagine a female UT player spouting off that they "...raped that player..."

-I_AM{skullface}

My_Oozing_Eye|PuF

The Original Brother Ooze!
Apr 7, 2000
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Visit site
hehehe

I'm 100% weith you skullface. Very few things bother me but the word Rape is one of them.

Personally I don't believe the 1 in 4 stat... but before I get flamed for that, I do agree that the number is VERY high. (1 in 25 is closer to reality and that is still an astounding number!)

In regards to the "gay" thing... it is hysterical when someone starts spamming me about being gay. Just the other night some num nuts was spamming me as a "gay loser" and my response "hey I'm gay... but I'm not a loser" aboslutely shut him down! There was no response at all and about 30 seconds later he left the server. Everyone started cracking up!!! :)

The little repressed 15 year olds who spam the gay remarks really get scared when confronted... hehehe

In a world of insults... people just need to do better than calling someone gay. It's simply not insulting to be called gay!

MOE

P.S. I'm not actually gay, although I like to claim to be online. Being gay certainly has a certain "shiek" quality to it. Except in some backward ass po-dunk towns in rural America that I don't give a damn about! :)

Jancaz Bru

the preposterous bollox of the situation
I do believe rape is a very serious thing, but when used in a game such as UT, it's just slang for totally 0wning him. It does not offend me, unless you actually say it in real life, because people might think you actually raped someone and that wouldn't be good. :D

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
shiek? perhaps you mean chic? heh.

Very well... I hereby admit MyOozingEye to the Gay Brothers Association of America to hold, honor, and defend the trial position of Poseur!

Use your new powers only for good, never for evil ;)

Jun 3, 2001
England
Visit site
Rape? BIG GRRRRR!

That's my view on the subject.

As for calling people gay, i do it more in a friendly, joking around sorta way :D If i wanted to insult someone i would just start talking about their mother, or if i'm in the mood i'll come on like a psychiatrist and ask about their childhood, which works better sometimes :D

Warm Pudgy

null
Feb 18, 2001
i dont think rape really makes snce with what they were talking about
"i raped that guy" it should be "i owned that guy" or something
but rape? no that shouldnt be used

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Anyone ever notice that when someone wants to insult a woman they call her derogatory names(usually sexual) like slut, whore, bitch, etc...

When someone wants to insult gays they do the same(we know the words).

When someone wants to insult a man they don't usually insult him directly, rather they insult the woman around him....

son of a bitch, bastard, etc...

I know that's not always the case just thought that it was interesting...

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Good call Slinger,

I actually did a search in PuF before I started this thread, but didn't see that.

It's nice to see that there are fellow PuFfers out there that are good sports and conscious of the weight a word can have.

-I_AM{skullface}

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
Kokensu, that is insightful indeed, I hadn't ever noticed that. I had, of course, noticed the double standard surrounding Male vs Female sexual promescuity...Slut vs. Stud. Who knows if this will change....?
Originally posted by Kokensu
Anyone ever notice that when someone wants to insult a woman they call her derogatory names(usually sexual) like slut, whore, bitch, etc...

When someone wants to insult gays they do the same(we know the words).

When someone wants to insult a man they don't usually insult him directly, rather they insult the woman around him....

son of a bitch, bastard, etc...

I know that's not always the case just thought that it was interesting...

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A few entries from Merriam-Webster's Dictionary.

Main Entry: 2rape
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): raped; rap·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin rapere
Date: 14th century
1 a archaic : to seize and take away by force b : DESPOIL
2 : to commit rape on
- rap·er noun
- rap·ist /'rA-pist/ noun

Main Entry: 3rape
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : an act or instance of robbing or despoiling or carrying away a person by force
2 a : sexual intercourse with a woman by a man without her consent and chiefly by force or deception -- compare STATUTORY RAPE b : unlawful sexual intercourse by force or threat other than by a man with a woman
3 : an outrageous violation

You'll notice several references to sexual rape, also several that I didn't post concerning grape stalks and mustard seeds. But you'll also note that it is an ancient term referring to seizing the spoils of a conquered town.

Yes, the english language is full of wonderful words that refer to different things while sounding and looking alike. :)

Hopefully people who are using that word mean no personal threat to someone else. You hear things like, "I was spawn-raped" and such in fps games these days. I'd like to think that in most cases they are not malicious individual attacks. Sometimes, however, (as in the case with jenny?) they are threats ... and those people need to be shut down.

aruzinsky

Skilled
Jan 31, 2001
Visit site
Some things fall into the grey area but "rape" is pretty straightforward
No, consider "statuary rape." If two 16 year olds have nonviolent, consensual sex, then (depending on the state) they are both guilty of "rape." They raped each other!

If the government can subvert the original meaning of "rape" to suite its own idiotic purposes, why shouldn't free citizens do the same?