PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2 and Dual Processers

ManiCoder
12th Jun 2001, 03:19 AM
Will Unreal 2 and other new games coming out take advantage from using a dual processor rig? I hear the only games right now that do that are games based on the Quake 3 Engine.

ravenus
12th Jun 2001, 10:19 AM
I really don't think so. It doesn't seem to be a high priority with Tim Sweeney so far as previous interviews etc. state.

WildfireX2000
12th Jun 2001, 04:41 PM
I thought Q3 took full advantage of a CPU/GPU combo, not dual processors. I think CliffyB was talking about the (something), a thing related to the Pentium 4 and 64-bit processors. The (something) was a special part of the P4 that made dual processors even faster. Anyone here know what that (something) is?

hal
17th Jun 2001, 09:37 AM
I believe that I read Cliff saying that U2 would not take advantage of dual processors.

Law
17th Jun 2001, 10:09 AM
That's too bad.

Especially after seeing a preview of that dual Athlon motherboard.

:(

IntRed
17th Jun 2001, 01:05 PM
But i'm sure they will patch it after some1 starts a petition online, always does the trick ;-)

Slick_Willy
18th Jun 2001, 12:32 AM
Dual processors do give some benefit though. If you are running an NT operating system then the Game can get Attention to one processor and the rest of the OS can use the other. I doubt the increase in performance would be major though since Unreal already claims most of the processor anyway.