Clipping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MachDelta

Haphazard Nobody
Apr 29, 2001
Canada
Visit site
Im talkin about the tool now... this tool that I have yet to use. After some reading, it sounds like it could be very handy, but I couldn't find any writing on how to use it. I figured out how to place the clipping markers (Ctrl + Right!) but I couldn't figure out how to select the side I wanted or actually 'clip' the damn brush. So a short & sweet explanation will do nicely, thanks. ;)

MD

ZodiaK

irresponsible walrus
Feb 14, 2000
onboard The Mothership
ameba.lpt.fi
clipping makes the world go 'round...:D

anyway, you'll be doing the clipping in any of the 2d views; the 3d is sort of confusing, because your clipping plane (the line between the two clipping markers) is just a line floating in there, not necessarily nowhere near the brush you're about to clip.

you can clip the builder brush OR any other brush ... added or substracted - but of course, in case you clip brushes already added/sub'd from the world, you'll need to rebuild before you see changes. the split brushes button will work a bit differently, it'll do as it says - make two brushes from one, although it doesn't obviously work on the builder.

oh, and the small line in the middle of the clipping plane points at the half that will be clipped - this can be changed with the 'flip clipping normal' button.

i don't know if i'm making any sense here, so i made a small pic to clarify.

MachDelta

Haphazard Nobody
Apr 29, 2001
Canada
Visit site
Yeah yeah, I figured how to draw the clipping line etc, I just couldnt figure out how to CUT the damn brush. There was only the one button, so I figured it must be a key & mouse combo. Honestly I didnt mess with it very much (no time), but I see i'll just have to do things the hard way. :D

MD

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
-There's another button there which only splits the brush into two parts. (Not aplicable to the Builder brush)

-If you use three clipping markers then you do 3d clipping.

The clipping markers define a clipping plane. It's infinite (In UEd terms) so several selected brushes crossing the plane can be clipped with it.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Ya know, when I'm tired I just slowly scroll the page down towards the glowing bright Post Reply button. I read everything but only about 10% of the info reaches my brain.

Time for coffee...:D