The Issue of Armor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pretorious

IH8GOP
Jan 2, 2001
So the INF team plans to add armor but I have been pondering this for so long, what will this do to the balancing of the game. I mean as of right now adding armor would make half the weapons useless because of the lack of armor piercing rounds. Also, what about hollow points, Im not to clear on whether they will do more damage or the spread would be stopped. Someone enlighten me on this one.

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
IIRC class 3 armor is bomb gear, and can stop shrapnel. But can't stop high power rounds like the 7.62 or the .50. Also, if the armor gets wet it's useless. Also, armor will most likely have a bulk of just under ten. So there's a downside.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
I imagine it will promote the use of the rifles more based on their superior performance against armor vs sub machine guns like the MP5 :)( ). As Primo stated, accuracy is the most effective compensator. But it can be hoped that armor will restrict the movement of the target more, so you can choose a lighter and more mobile MP5 loadout and use that to your advantage. That's what I plan on doing. But you can bet the 5-7 will be the new favorite pistol before too much longer.

Kisen_K

S&M Airlines
May 12, 2000
Norway
rullings.com
About that wet armour thing, maybe the team should implent water ballons! So you throw the ballon in the back of the guy with level IV armour and start popping him with your Beretta. Easy isn't it? :D

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
All hail Shakken!

With the addition of armour peircing rounds, witch are pretty much avalible for all the weapons in INF, armour will not be that big a problem if you load youre mag's right.

Tommy Atkins

Older, but no wiser
Mar 17, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Kisen_K
About that wet armour thing, maybe the team should implent water ballons! So you throw the ballon in the back of the guy with level IV armour and start popping him with your Beretta. Easy isn't it? :D

Nah- what we need are pump action watergun attachments for the M16 instead of the m203- brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "spray n pray" ;)

Pretorious

IH8GOP
Jan 2, 2001
Glad to hear the use or armor piercing rounds it has reassured me for using weapons like the mp5 series, and other ones. One other quick question, what rounds will you be making available for AP?

Spetznaz_1

Special-Purpose
May 28, 2001
Glasgow, Scotland
Visit site
Originally posted by Kisen_K

LOL. I'll take a water baloon and a beretta over an robar for armor piercing anyday - NOT.

BIG_MONKEY_JR

Apr 1, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
Will we get to choose what kind of armor, or if we have it at all? 'Cause when everyone is using armor, somebody could not use it and run really fast. and even without armor piercing bullets, if you shoot enough times it's gotta do some damage, right?

Pretorious

IH8GOP
Jan 2, 2001
Well after a 30 round mag of AP rounds I think the target would be dropped, but I also want to know about hollow points and armor. Same with a 30 round mag of JHPs, I would think they would begin to shread armor.

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
What I want to know is... How exactly are they going to implement the different ammo types.

For example, do you purchase the ammo types by-the-mag? If so, and you buy three mags of AP and two mags or regular ammo, how do you determine which you load into the gun? More important, on the issue of tracers...

What I really hope to see is the ability to actually load each mag in your loadout with your own selection of bullets, and have the recoil/sound adjusted accordingly per-shot.

So for example instead of a mag of AP rounds, you could load up your mag with one tracer round every 3 AP rounds. Or, maybe one tracer every 2 AP rounds. Or maybe something really weird like a tracer round, ap round, hollow point. Basically you could individually select what bullets were in each mag and how they were loaded. The cost would be determined once you finalized the mag, and would combine the seperate costs of all the different ammo types and amounts used (most likely with a minimum amount, like you couldn't buy just ONE ap bullet, you would end up paying for at least 20 or something).

Of course I don't know what would happen in real life if you loaded a mag with varying types of ammo like that. If you could safely do that though, I'd like to be able to do that in-game.