Direct X problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

donnyhiab

Hi Folks, this is probably old news problem but I hope someone can help.

UnrealT crashes to blackscreen on loading just about the point when the sensaura sound starts.

Will run on safe mode in a window but with sound disabled.

I know its a Direct 8X problem as that was what I had just upgraded to. Has anyone else had this problem and have they found out if the latest 8Xa has solved problem.

System spec (dont laugh) P11 350 , yamaha sound card, Voodoo 5 5500, std CD rom 40 speed .

All drivers for all cards and monitor upgraded to Dx8 spec and Unreal T to Ver 436.

Only cure Ive found was to reformatt and reinstall but only to Dx7a and every thing runs tickety boo again but I wasted a day and I got a lot of grief from family as I am a self taught dabbler.

Helplines tried all useless although I got an email from Epic saying there was a problem but no plans to cure.

dabbled with editing registry but couldnt get it to forget which version of Direct X it was running.

Any knowledge and help gratefully received

TA Muchly DonnyH

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I know there are some bug in the first release of DX8.
I use DX8.0a myself and have no problem running UT.
I have a Geforce 2 GTS with nvidias 6.67 WHQL ref drivers and a Soundblaster Live with the latest Live Ware

donnyhiab

Direct X8 problem

Thank you for reply, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and try installing DX8a.
I want it for newer games but dont want to lose favourite game.

I thought of another option if it doesnt work when I reformatt I could put in another partition with a seperate copy of operating system Win(98) and old Dx7 and just alter bios bootup when I want to frag, but hard drive isnt really big enough.

what do you reckon!

Ta muchly for help donnyH

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
DX8.1 is a beta version and some ppl have problem with it.
If you want to us it you do it on your own risk

apesgrapes

ambidextrous
Mar 19, 2001
gaia
apesgrapes.da.ru
i'm using dx8.1 okay, but there's a way or uninstalling it if it doesn't work, but it's not perfect.

backup your windows/system folder first. if dx8 causes problems, just rename the backup folder to system [in dos/start up disk] and you should be okay.

you may also want to back up the reg aswell, as it stores the version of dx your using, although the mismatch dosn't seem to cause a problem..

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I belive you have problem with your soundcard.
If you have UseDirectSound enabled, try set it to False.

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
I fixed this problem by setting DoPrecache=false in my Unrealtournament.ini but I dont see the option in Glide. Try running dxdiag from the run command and test direct draw. If you dont see the bouncing square in full screen mode then you have a problem with direct draw somewhere.

GerbilJammer

Resident NOOb :D
Jan 25, 2001
Louisiana
ummm no DX 8.1 wont kill your v sync in glide :p, for the vsync problem, just go to your display properties, and set vsync in the 3dfx tools to enable for both d3d and opengl/glide :p and as far as the precache for glide, you dont need it for glide :)

donnyhiab

Thank you all for your help, sorry took so long to get back but I had to work today.

installed DX8a and all ok so far (at least with UT) although perhaps other older games may still not work properly but it will take time to try all.

Didnt want to dabble to deep in sys.ini etc too new at this, prefer fixing Mo'Bikes.

DXdiag was used at start of prob and there was a prob with direct draw (full screen bouncin box caused crash ) but it would run in window with sound disabled and I nearly bought new sound card that i didnt need!

ta muchly all for help, keep shiny side up !!! donnyH