Strange difficulities with demos

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Ok, I REALLY wanna watch Namu's demo of Xan getting owned, but it freezes while precaching when I try to open it! In fact, I can't seem to get any demos to work which are longer than about 3 minutes or so. When I record my own demos, I've found this to be the case. Once they get too long; they'll play but the camera does some really weird stuff........it won't lock onto any certain player; instead it just floats around and when I try to move with it, it randomly switches to face a certain direction.

Like, I'll stop in the middle of a room looking down; suddenly the camera will point at a wall. I rotate without moving; two seconds later I'm back looking at the same wall. Move a couple feet; there's that wall again. If I move a considerable distance then it might decide to randomly point me towards a different spot.

It's hard to describe accurately. I think there's most definitely a correlation between demo length and non-functionality though. For example, the demo someone made to show what an aimbot could do on Face works fine, I think because it's only a couple minutes long. But the demo of the HV vs. C1 ctf match on Orbital doesn't. (well, it's 12 megs :) )

What gives, anyhow? Anyone else having this problem?

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
There is a known problem between certain versions of CSHP(client side hack protection) and recording demos, they simply don't work. Check to see if the server you're on has CSHP installed and which version it is. This MAY be the problem or it could be something else. But I'd check this first(it's easiest) ;)

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
When my server was running CSHP 4r, I was unable to record demos on it; it would crash out with an error, and I ended up disabling CSHP on it. (Only people I know play on it anyway.) Anyone else have this problem or maybe a fix?

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Ok,
I know what the CSHP errors look like and this ain't it. again, it's most definitely related to the LENGTH of the demos.

Jun 3, 2001
England
Visit site
Just a suggestion but u could try recording demos only 3 mins long, like a Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and so on until u have all what u want recorded, that may be impractical but thats the only idea i can think of :)

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
That's basically what I do when I make my own demos. However, I still can't play long ones like the HV vs. C1 ctf match, or namu's demo of Xan getting 0wned by Loque (which I really wanna see :D)

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Originally posted by ^DaRk^AgentOrange|PuF
Could always ask nicely if he would re-record for u :D

Do you still not understand why that wouldn't work? Unless Loque beats Xan in under 3 minutes or so I'll have the exact same problem.

Jun 3, 2001
England
Visit site
Whoops u misunderstood me, i meant that he could record the first 3 minutes and name it Part1, then record minutes 4 to 6 and call it Part2 and so on, then u download all the parts and watch them in turn-so the whole fight would probably be 3 or 4 parts long :)

I know u can't watch large files thats why i suggested this :rolleyes: