Joystick AND Mouse

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
I'm considering using Joystick and Mouse as controller setup (currently Keyboard and Mouse) ... anyone else tried this? The big problem is that the lack of decent left hand Joysticks mean I'll need to learn to handle the mouse properly in my Left Hand instead of current Right, which might be too much of a strain.

So, we would have ... Mouse Look ... Mouse 1 Fire, Mouse 2 Secondary Fire

Joystick ... Stick movements Forward/Backward and Strafing. Hat for Weapon Selection, 4 Buttons top for Weapons or pre-programmed Speeches/Taunts. Trigger Button to jump.

Any experience or thoughts?

Neil.

oV/Slow

Feb 8, 2001
ov.clanpages.com
umm....I use a sidewinder gamepad......the original gameport one with a trigger for ur index figer, d-pad for thumb, and another button just to the right of the d-pad that u can hit with ur thumb. The two buttons for me are right and left strafe. On my mouse I have primary and secondary fire for the buttons, mouse wheel up and down is to change weapons and middle mouse is jump. On the keyboard which I have to basically take a hand off the mouse or gamepad I have voice binds, [CHEESE] hammer jump bind to make left mouse the bind and another to change left mouse back to primary fire [/END CHEESE] , instant rocket toggle button, a key to toggle crouch.....and I think thats it

pacman

Jun 2, 2001
Birmingham, UK
Visit site
there's always something...

Dodging plays a major part in UT, and I'm just getting use to it...Not sure if I could get use to losing it.

However, I'm pretty sure the Cyborg (class before Saitek 3D Gold) was programable, therefore you could use the hat for forward, left, right and back, increase its sensitivity to maximum. This should allow you to use the stick for movement, and the hat for dodging.

Sounds ok in print, could it work on reality.

lunchblaze

Codlike
Jul 31, 2000
East Fort Sp0rkville
trust me, i've tried for an entire year to get reliable online dodging to work with this stick.

when using as an analog device, you have to use the two lines in the user.ini : joyx=astrafe speed 2.0 and joyy=abase speed 2.0
and then check use joystick in the input box in options.

this makes it impossible to dodge unless the stick is perfectly centered - which in a firefight is almost never going to happen.

now,
you can set each axis (x and y) in the sge software to banded mode to emulate key presses - and then delete the x and y entries from the user ini, uncheck joystick in input pref.s,
and then bind the hat to the same direction keys , hit it twice and you'll dodge.

all well and good, only, the joystick is then so freakin sensitive, and there's way too much play in it's movement to be able to even run in a straight line - then factor in online lag - and it gets really messy to use.

i even filled in the spring with foam to cut down the travel of the stick to almost nothng - this was the best solution - but it made it hard as hell to move reliably in diagonal directions - and you'd wind up accidentally dodging into lava and stuff because you'd push it hard enough to trigger the movement, but it would jiggle back and forth as you were trying to hold it there - if that makes any sense.

i have a new secret plan to have reliable joystick use and some limited dodging (you'll never be able to dodge in all directions as well as using the keyboard) but it's a home built thing that i don't have time to do yet.

if i get it working, i'll let you know.

also,
if you get the saitek thing working, let me know.

out.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
I'll give it a try

OK, well my stick is digital (Wingman Extreme) so maybe I won't have those centering problems.... and the mouse is ambidextrous (my wife is left handed), so I'm gonna try my new controller setup LH mouse RH joystick from tonight (against Bots first, my ngstats are bad enough as it is).... if I get good results I'll post again once I've had time to get used to the setup.

lunchblaze

Codlike
Jul 31, 2000
East Fort Sp0rkville
yeah,
i'm not sure how the logitech software works, or how much a digital v analog stick will make a difference.

however, if you have to check "joystick" in the input screen of preferences, then you'll have the same problem i bet - because it's not the pots in the analog versus the microswitches in the digital that's the problem - i don't think. hell, i don't know, i'm better with the keyboard now anyway - but i'd still like to be able to do it just to save my wrist.

could be wrong - so let me know if it works.

gl.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
Update on using Joystick and mouse

For those that are interested; after trying Joystick and Mouse together for 3 weeks I'm probably now about the same standard of play that I was; so hopefully I'll now start seeing some improvements... the biggest difficulty is not in using the Joystick as a controller, but in using the mouse in my left hand... but I'm getting used to it pretty well now. I find it a lot easier to co-ordinate circle strafing than I did with the keyboard though; plus the different degrees of movement (rather than all or nothing) on forward and sideways movement can catch people by surprise somewhat.

My controller setup now is...
[Left Hand ... Logitech 3 button ambidextrous mouse]
Mouselook
Button 1: Fire Primary
Button 2: [unused]
Button 3: Fire Secondary

[Right Hand... Wingman Extreme Digital 3D joystick]
Forwards/Back: Forwards/Back run
Right/Left: Right/Left Strafe
Twist Rudder: [unused]
Trigger Button: Jump
Hat Up: Switch FOV 85/135
Hat Left: Show Scores while pressed
Hat Right: Cycle saying 4 taunts
Hat Down: Select and Throw TL when pressed, use TL when released
Thumb Button 1: Cycle Flak Cannon / Rocket Launcher
Thumb Button 2: Cycle Enforcers/ Sniper Rifle
Thumb Button 3: Cycle Pulse Gun/ Shock Rifle
Thumb Button 4: Cycle BioRifle / Ripper / Minigun
Base Button 1: Select Translocator
Base Button 2: Select Redeemer

I never seem to use the keyboard except for specific messages to type.... but I feel I should be using my centre mouse and rudder for something.... I might set my rudder to turn left/right so when I get to the edge of the mouse mat and want to keep turning I can use the rudder to turn while I pick the mouse up....

What should I bind to my centre mouse button?