Question about inventory

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
I’m not too concerned about my map being able to play in tournament, but I do care about using the proper pick ups as to bribe the INF boots to go where they should be.

What exactly should I use as pick ups for bot. Another words, what do the INF bot’s need and like the best?

Thanks
-Mike-

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
the best way to find that out is to open the official INF-maps... you can learn almost everything from them

i mainly use pulse rifles for special places, pulse rifle ammo for main paths and the shield belt for very special places

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
That’s a good idea, thank you -reaper-
I’ve also got some UT power packs, and med packs. Just curious, why do you use the pulse gun, this worth more points then the other guns?

Thanks, Ill do that!

Mike.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
no, i just saw that it was used in some of the official INF-maps and it seemed to be a good idea to me, considering that the pulse rifle was kind of standard gun in regular ut...

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
yeah, but i remember we had a discussion about some kind of 'desire_factor' and i don't know if that has been implemented yet or will ever be implemented

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Actually, now that I’ve looked in most of the Team’s INF maps, they seem to use 8ball and flake cannons guns, and weapons the most. Seems the maps that don’t use any seem to have the INFc-Spots everywhere.
Here is the thing though: if I want a bot to go somewhere he usually doesn’t, do I just put a INFc-Spot? The big question about them INFc-Spots, is if they are worth the same value to bot’s, who is to say that a bot will not just pass one to visit a closer C-spot down the hall. I haven’t looked yet, but I bet each INFc-Spot actor has a sub-key with an option to change the priority of it’s worth to the bot. The other trick question is: What do Skaarj’s eat? :D

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
well for now it seems that those inf_spots are really nothing more than a standard pathnode but maybe this will change in the future...

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
INFc-Spots might change in the future?

That sounds scary.
That will definitely have a huge affect on the behavior of bot’s in everyone’s maps. Maybe for the better, or even for worse

-Mike-

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
don't be scared by that, if [and that's a big if here] they add something like a 'desire_factor' to the spots they will have a standard value set so it doesn't change anything unless you play around with the properties

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
There is a setting called Extra Cost, I wonder if that has anything to do with this? It could just be a generic setting that isn’t supported yet, but I can say one thing for sure. They do seem to have an affect on the bots, because I put two C_Spots in a hall that the bots never seemed to go: Now the bots will every once in a while walks in the hall.
From what I’ve seen, it appears that although the bots will not make a desperate attempt to visit an INFc-Spot, they will in-fact pay a visit to it some time through out the game. Another words, there’s no guaranty when they will visit it, but they will eventually.

Btw, those are some creepy looking actors, wonder why they chose a head of a bird? I think that’s what it is?

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Thanks -Lost-

I didn’t realize that, if this is the case, I could probably put this to good use. I’ve got some path nodes connecting that I don’t want to connect to each other, and putting alternate paths in-between them doesn’t seem to break the path, and either doses the block path actor.
Anyway, now that you mentioned that, maybe I can put a decent number under the extra cost, and shorten the distance, so the paths faraway will not connect.

I’ll give it a shot, thanks for that insight! :)

-Mike-

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Yep, same here

I didn’t notice any difference either. Could be an unsupported feature. By the way, I know this is off the subject, but do you know if we will be able to convert our maps for the Warfare engine? I hope!

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Ya, but the map files for the new UnrealII are a completely different format: The extension is not (.unr) and the bsp tree is completely different. Supposedly there is not suppose to be any more bsp holes, or at least not as many, which tells me that there is definitely a huge difference in the two.

DarkSniper

Do something other than design levels?
Jun 6, 2001
Tennessee
www.combatmaps.com
pathing

I myself am trying to figure out the desirability factor of infi-c spots.

But I can tell you about the other things.

Extra costs tells the bot that the path is longer than it really is. Bots generally want to take the shortest route. (This is also why you put out desirables.) So if there is a path you want the bots to use less, add more costs to the path node. Make sure that the one pathnode is isolated meaning it only has one pathnode on each side connected to it.

Alternate paths only offer the bot a new choice, it does the opposite of trying to make them NOT use a path. Alternate paths are good to make bots dodge and display unpredictable behavior by allowing them to deviate (thier choice) from a known path.

I have trouble making block paths work sometimes as well. Go into properties under ADVANCED and change 'bdirectional' to true. Now look from a top 2d view and try alternating the direction till it works for you. Also make sure that under Navigation Point you change 'one way path' to true. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps you out.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Thanks DarkSniper

What kind of numbers would be with in range for the cost? 10, 20, 30?
I know that sometimes using too high of numbers cancels out the setting of some actors:
Right now the default path node cost is at 0. So if I put 30 in the field, is that equal to 30 extra units? That can come in very handy!

-Mike-

DarkSniper

Do something other than design levels?
Jun 6, 2001
Tennessee
www.combatmaps.com
Starstreams,

Sorry for not being clear. Extra costs are figured in world units. So if you make a pathnodes extra costs 128 then you make it appear to be 128 units longer than it really is.

Just experiment in small increments until you get the affect you want. Remember though that you are making the bot now look for a shorter route, increasing the extra costs too much may make the bots use path that you may not want them to.

And BTW you cannot subtract extra costs to make a path appear shorter, that does not work.

Hope this helps. If you still have troubles I will be happy to look at the map, not that I am an expert or anything. LOL