Riva 128zx. Nvidia, does anyone still care?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
My videocard is a Nvidia Riva 128zx. It came with my IBM Aptiva and it is a very capable piece of hardware....compared to what´s inside my old 386!
When I just bought the thing, it worked pretty good. Several games, including Battlezone, had full direct3d support. I read on a manual that the videocard has some 3d-card capabilities. But not all the games supported it fully. As you might´ve guessed, unreal and UT weren´t capable of running in any other mode than 'software-rendering'.

So I waited for a new unreal patch. None of the patches that were released seemed to make any difference. Also I kept an eye on the Nvidia site for driver updates. But the damn company only seems to care about their latest hardware. The TNT stuff.

I am thinking of an upgrade for a while know. I am not going to buy an entire new videocard, so my options are limited. A freind of mine told me that those RivaTNT cards are similiar to my own videocard, but with some extra voodoo chipsets.
I don´t really know anything about this sort of stuff, so I just wondered wether anyone from PuF does.

Benno

May 12, 2000
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
I also own an Aptiva that came with a Riva 128zx.I got frustrated with it not working with a lot of new games i want to play. I tried new drivers and so on but didnt make much difference. I replaced it with a Riva TNT2. The 128zx is a old card and for gaming, upgrading maybe the best option. Hopefully someone else will have a better solution.Sorry if I havent been any help.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
I think a cheaper solution would be to upgrade it with a voodoo addon.
It´s just that I don´t know anything about these sort of things. For me, it is kind of expensive to buy an entire new videocard.

The_Dudester

Surfing the edge of underconfidence.
Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
Well...yes. It would be cheaper to get a Voodoo -> you can get Voodoo 1s for around £10 or less now.

*But* it depends on what kinda performance you want.
A TNT-2 (or a Voodoo 3) is a nice happy fun graphics card that will still be supported well in the near future...a lower Voodoo/cheap 3d card is now looking iffy...

(and...you have to upgrade sometime...why not now?)

bullet2.gif

Q: What's purple and commutes?
A: An abelian grape.

Obv.

wiggum_pi

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
A Voodoo 3 is a video card in itself; first you remove your 128zx, then you add your Voodoo 3.

Voodoo 1s & 2s are 3D accelerators; you leave your 128zx inside the computer, and then add the Voodoo 1 or 2.

bullet2.gif

Who's gonna be the odd man out? I want to be the odd man out.
-- CookieMnstr|PuF

The Toastman

Apr 19, 2000
Arkansas, USA
Visit site
I'll try not to be too long winded. The Riva 128zx is a card from an older generation of 3d accelerators. It doesn't support a lot of hardware features neccesary for todays high-end games (such as UT). Unfortunately, driver updates won't fix that. The hardware just can't do it. That means you'll probably need to upgrade your video card. Now, to what? First, make certain your Riva card can be removed (i.e. is it a card or is it build onto the motherboard?). If it is not removable, then your only option is a Voodoo2 1000 since the V2 is a PCI add-on card. If it is removable, is it PCI or AGP? PCI is usually a white slot, while AGP is generally brown. AGP is better. Assuming it is AGP, and you aren't looking to spend a ton of money, then a TNT2 Ultra or Voodoo3 3000 are probably the best bang for your buck. Which is better? Depends. Long story short: TNT2 has better features (32-bit color support, 32 megs memory, higher resolutions and refresh rates), however Voodoo3 (only supports 16-bit color, has 16 megs RAM) has better software compatibility (seeing as Voodoo is still the standard and it supports Glide API). If you are a technically inclined user and don't mind having to tweak settings then you are probably better off with a TNT2 ultra such as Diamond Viper V770 ultra. However, if you don't want to/like having to deal with configuration problems then the Voodoo3 3000 is for you. Both should be able to be had for around $130 to $150 US dollars (don't know how that will translate to pounds). If that is still out of your price range, look at a Voodoo3 2000 or TNT2 (non-ultra). Hope some of that helps.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Ok. I managed to get some extra info on the subject.

Right now, I'm thinking about a TNT2 card or a voodoo3.

Does anyone know which one is the best? You may want to be specific in your answer because I know now there are several different kinds of voodoo3 and tnt2 cards.

Money is also an issue. I really don't want to go any higher than, lets say 65-70 pounds.

Thanks.