PDA

View Full Version : Need help with shutting off background garbage

Heather
6th Dec 1999, 01:04 AM
Just got a new puter and remember someone posting something about "how to turn off all the garbage running in the background of their puter".I know you have to go to " start /run , and then type something in , but I can't remember what it is. I'm tired of hitting CTRL/ALT/DEL every time , thanks guys .....

NutWrench
6th Dec 1999, 09:17 AM
Hi Heather,
The only way I know of to do this quickly is with a small freeware program called WinSolo. This program lets you choose ONE Windows program to run and it will temporarily shut down everything else (including your Desktop) to free up resources.
After you're finished it restores your previous desktop setting in a few seconds. I find I get faster framerates when I run Unreal under Winsolo. Here's the site I found it at: http://www.sover.net/~whoi/Windex.html

--Nut

Thor
7th Dec 1999, 05:18 PM
One other thing you could do is stop things from loading up in the beginning at all-like 'Find Fast' for god's sake. This little damn program just slows your computer down anyway. I'm a network administrator and always erase this from the startup directory if i ever see it. Look in your start menu/programs/startup to see if its there and remove it if it is,along with anything else you don't want to automatically to start up.
To take them out, go to the start menu/settings/taskbar. click on the start menu programs tab and then the remove button. go to the startup directory and erase those shortcuts..

[This message has been edited by Thor (edited 12-07-1999).]