Importing brushes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Forty-Two

Majestic 2 Cartoonist
Mar 25, 2000
majestic-two.hypermart.net
I've seen the question laying around a few times, but I dont remember seeing a clear answer...

For Heaven's Sake, How Do You Import A Brush Into UnrealEd 2??? I've tried many ways and formats, and all I ever get is the builder brush vanishing and leaving only the pivot.

------------------
Run, chicken. The warhead launcher spares no one.
Remember kids, if your UEd2 isn't working, get your missing DLL here!

Shadow Wizard

Dec 30, 1999
Stillwater, OK USA
Visit site
So far, the only way I have gotten it to work is to create a brush in a blank map, then export it. Then in the map I want it, tell it to import. Seems to work for me, but I get some weird gliches (like one side will be missing, or there is a hole in the builder brush, but when I add it, everything is there and works just fine). Oh, and after adding it, the missing part is still missing from the added brush.

Mambo

Metallica Head
Mar 25, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
To import, click on the brush drop-down menu, and click on import.
This comes up with a window, where you choose what brush to import.
Select your soon-to-be-imported brush and go open.
The editor then gives you some options like do you want it solid or non-solid, and if you want to merge coplanar polygons.
If you are importing from terraedit, you can't merge coplanar polygons, but i think it is ok with other brushes.
Depending on the size of the brush, it may take a little time to load. You should then have your red brush as the brush you just imported. If it isn't there try rebuilding geometry, but you shouldn't have to.

Mier

Feb 6, 2000
members.xoom.com
Hi,

Here are the tricks that I use:

Exporting/Importing a single brush:
-----------------------------------

* Exporting:

- Select one or more brushes in your map and put it in the air.

- Make a box around it with your builder brush.

- Intersect the builder brush. Right click the builder brush and select "copy polygons to brush"

- Now you can click "Brush->Export" and save it somewhere on your disk.

* Importing:

- To import it select "Brush->Import" and choose a file.

* Notes: Use this method if you want the object to only consist of ONE SINGLE brush.
Like a prefab chair, table, pillar, etc....

Exporting/Importing a entire parts of a map.
--------------------------------------------

* Exporting:

- Select only the brushes/objects you don't want to export and delete them. Rebuild your level!

- Select "File->Export Level" and save it somewhere on your disk.

* Importing:

- Select "File->Import Level". Select "Add contents to existing map".

* Notes: This is my prefered method of importing/exporting. This way you can do it with multiple brushes/actors and they will keep all their properties.

My new map I'm working on at the moment is pretty big and slows my system down. If for example I want to work on a single building, I select the building and delete all the rest. Then I rebuild and save it as a new level. Now I can easily (quick rebuild times) work on that part of the map. When I'm finished I select all that needs to be put in the entire map and export&import it.

Cya

Claude Meyer aka Mier

Ingenue

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
I usually get the same problem when I try to import certain brushes. Some things I've found useful are:

Be sure your brush-model is closed. That is, there are no holes in the geometry. You'll sometimes have to settle for a higher polycount if you've got things like trees, but it will have less of a chance to get screwed up.

Try to be sure your faces don't intersect. Bu intersect, I mean laying on top of one another, like they could if you were building a very narrow surface, like leaves, for example.

Import your model as a "closed" object. UEd does (or *did* I haven't used UED2 yet) give you the option when you import a brush. I've found that the "closed" option works the most consistently.

Check your scale once it's been imported. Depending on the software you used to create the model, it could just be appearing in your map very very very tiny.

Good Luck!

-I

NutWrench

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
If you're importing a model in DXF format, which uses triangles to make up flat surfaces, you can get rid of them by first adding the brush to your level and then surrounding the brush with a build box and intersecting. This will get rid of the coplaner polygons.

--Nut

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
No matter how i make them, all the brushes i've made in my modeling program (except ONE) crashed UEd when importing. They are in .DXF formats, and UEd crashes when "normalizing" the brush, because it cannot stand having two vertices in the same 1/8-of-unit-big cube... I've tried making the models bigger, to no avail. Is the .DXF format already normalized, or should i try to make them bigger in another program before attempting to import ?

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
just import, works just fine, if you only see the pivot point the brush is fuxxored
i dont have rthat much experience with 3dsmax and stuff with dfx namu, but should work, maybe make it bigger indeed, and try something simple first, dont try too import a 3dsmax teapot model :) wont work, cause dfx has a maximum of 500 polys i thought before ued gives up, and the faces have too have special stuff too
actually i dunno, had this tut on pu once, but forgot the url

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
namu.free.fr
I heard the 500 polys limit was only a recommendation :con:

Anyway, MeshMaker is the only way i have to make UT meshes for my weapons and creatures, as there isn't (yet) a MacOS version of 3DS Max.
I'm also making full open terrain brushes for mappers, but only got one to import correctly (an island). All these are easily over 300 polys, i think that making the .DXF models 100x bigger should solve any problem.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
you dont have max ? damn a hole in your culture then :)
the max burshes work fine here, maybe try something else, like maya, does that excist for mac ?

dunno about the lmit, just heard it, and havent experiemented enough to know if its real :)

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
namu.free.fr
Yeah, Mac OS X has Maya :). I'm using Meshwork for creating great low polycount models, and the free version of Amapi to modify/convert into UEd friendly DXF.

I tried rescaling: it works :) expect to see my (un)1337 models in the Buf Bonus Packs :tup:

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
If you see only the pivot then try to zoom out the view. Sometimes the imported brushes disappear when you move too close to them with the camera.

Do a Transform permanently and it should fix it.