Perpetual Mover

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fenrir

Jun 25, 2000
Mtl, QC, Canada
In my level I trying to do a huge bell that swings 'ad vitam eternam' and that doesn't need to be triggered to move. I tried many trick with the mover's properties and tags but I dont understand these well.
Is There a simple way to do this kind of 'looping' mover ?

Thanks

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
You can't use a loop mover!! This kind of mover returns from keyframe 1 to 0 at instant, without moving along the defined way. Try what Mier suggested and set the trigger's radius very(!) large. Click on the green arrow it the top of the editing window and select view -> radi view! The radius should cover the entire map!

Another question relating to this! How do I make the bell itself? I can't figure out how you can do it with the 2DshapeEditor!

Mier

Feb 6, 2000
members.xoom.com
Use a normal mover that you set to "trigger open timed". Define the bell mover's keyframe(s) to swing once (and all the other mover properties like movetime, sounds,...). Then
trigger the bell with a repeating "TimedTrigger". Let's say one swing lasts 5 secs then you set your "timedtrigger" to repeat every 5 or 6 secs; you have to see what looks best.

Hope that helps

Claude Meyer aka Mier

[This message has been edited by Mier (edited 06-28-2000).]

Fenrir

Jun 25, 2000
Mtl, QC, Canada
Thanks guys! I tried and it looks perfect!!!
For now, I'm trying to synchronized the bell Clanger inside the bell with the bell itself. I gave it the same tag that I gave to the bell, but the two movers are not synchronized (It's stange isn't it ?). So, I'm working on.
I have a little question; to view the radi view in unrealEd2, There is no green arrow in the top of the editing window. where can I find it in this version?

To answer 8-4-7-2, myself I make the bell by sculpting it: 1) make a sphere brush with an extrapolation of 3 and give it an ellipsoid shape in the scale mode, add it. 2) substract the lower half then add a cone to give the shape of a bell. 3) substract a cone brush inside the bell.
With a good texture, this bell looks great in my belfry. With the singing movment it's now perfect! except for the clanger....he,he.

Pj

Dec 17, 1999
www.lanzadera.com
To 8-4-7-2: in the 2D editor draw an f or an inverted V and revolve.

bullet2.gif

Young people know the laws, old people the exceptions

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Thanks, now I know how to build a bell!

I never used Ued2. But I meant the top of the four windows, not the top of the entire screen! But set the radius to 60000 or s.th. and it will be active whereever the player is.

Don't know about the mover thing.

bullet2.gif

“The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination”
“Lying is a skill like any other, and if you want to maintain a level of excellence, you have to practice constantly”
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

[This message has been edited by 8-4-7-2 (edited 06-29-2000).]

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Aphex:
Fernir wants a bell that swings forth and back constantly. A loop mover does (when understood its script right) move 2 or more keyframes and at instant "jumps" from the last keyframe to the first, then moves again, and so on...
If you set a mover to "TriggerOpenTimed" and adjust the trigger's reapeat time with the mover's open time the mover will be triggers every 5(or whatever you want) seconds!
And when you set the trigger to a large raduis it will be triggered whereever the player is on the map. ==> The bell swings constantly!!
That's a simple and efective solution. So why making it more complicated than it is?

bullet2.gif

“The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination”
“Lying is a skill like any other, and if you want to maintain a level of excellence, you have to practice constantly”
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
Why not to make a loopmover with 3 keyframes (the third at the same position as the first).
So you wouldn't need that BIG trigger (using such a trigger with all players and bots that activate it can generate bugs or engine overload)

Pj

Dec 17, 1999
www.lanzadera.com
Really you don't need that BIG trigger.
But if you want a perpetual mover you have to trigger it perpetualy ( the three keyframe mover is not a solution ).
I think there is a trigger that launches an event every x seconds. That's is a solution.
Another is to put a trigger, T1, that triggers the bell an another trigger, T2, and to configure T2 to wait a bit and after trigger T1.

The limit is your imagination...

bullet2.gif

Young people know the laws, old people the exceptions

Mier

Feb 6, 2000
members.xoom.com
Just a note to the trigger I'd use...

Whith a TimedTrigger (Triggers->Trigger->TimedTrigger) you won't need to set any collisionradius. Just make sure it's set:

->[TimedTrigger]->[TimedTrigger]->[bRepeating] to true

->[TimedTrigger]->[Trigger]->[bInitiallyActive] to true

->[TimedTrigger]->[TimedTrigger]->[DelaySeconds] (Retrigger delay time)

If you do it this way you'll never have to take care if your mover gets triggered because it will be automaticly triggered from the beginning to the end of the level.

Cya

Claude Meyer aka Mier

Aphex

Jan 31, 2000
Manchester, UK
homepage.ntlworld.com
Cheers for that!
It seems that mine won't work because I'm using a LoopMover - I can get it to work ok with a normal mover.
Are there any other vars I should set for the loopmover? The script is very sparse!

[This message has been edited by Aphex (edited 06-30-2000).]

Mier

Feb 6, 2000
members.xoom.com
I only experimented a bit with loopmovers. The only thing I can tell you is that I had to set the loopmover's initialstate to "loopmove" or else it would not move at all. AFAIK you can also trigger a loopmover with a repeating timed trigger.

Don't know much more that could help you...

Cya

Claude Meyer aka Mier