Any sugg. as to why Unreal runs bad on P3/TNT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrHogie

Dec 5, 1999
Columbus, MS, USA
www.ebicom.net
Okay guys, this could get a little winded, so I apologize in advance. I just now upgraded from a P100, so this is my first chance to get to sit down and play Unreal. I currently have a P3 450, 128 MB RAM, sb16 isa (ouch), and a Dmd viper 550/Riva TNT 16 MB card. I bought the game, grabbed the latest patch (225f) and sat down to enjoy Unreal. That's where my problems start.
D3D causes my menu to get screwed up and lock up the game when I try to return to the Adv. Options menu to reset it (but I read the temp fix about 16bit desktop -- thanx /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif. Other that that, D3D looks okay, but runs rather sluggish. OGL runs like utter crap. I have heard the rumors about a new patch (which, judging from the last release notes, they sorely need) that will fix a number of problems, but it is nowhere to be found. I understand that UT is out (and is rather impressive), but I was kind of hoping to go thru the greatest single player experience in FPS games. Any suggestions on what to do would be most welcome.
P.S. I've heard that the ISA sound card can bog things down, I'm buying a SB Live at the next opportunity.
-- DrHogie

Zepher

Dec 5, 1999
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
I have a similar configuration:
P3 450mhz, Abit BX6 rev 2.02, SB Live! PCI, Diamond V550 w/ latest detonator, 128mb Micron SDRAM, Win 98 SE

and the same problem, although I was able to make OGL run somewhat faster by increasing the size of the cache under the game settings. I haven't tried running Unreal under any other config, just got the game on sale, but obviously your ISA card isn't causing the difficulties since I have a PCI and the same problem. Why is the most recent patch from May? They should have their development team focused on removing the major bugs from one game before they move onto the next.

Does anyone here have a non-3dfx configuration that runs ok? I consider 16-bit rendering to be unacceptable. Also if there is any patch later than 225f please let me know.

NutWrench

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
Hi DrHogie,
Do you get faster framerates in Unreal if your turn off/disable the sound alltogether? If you do, your old SB card could be the culprit.
I remember when I first played GLQuake with an old non-DirectSound compliant ISA card. The game stated that it required a DirectSound-compatable card and it ran very slowly. When I upgraded to Soundblaster Live card, the very same game ran smooth as silk and all I changed was the Soundcard.

--Nut

DrHogie

Dec 5, 1999
Columbus, MS, USA
www.ebicom.net
Thanks Zepher and Nutwrench for the help you gave /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif I increased the game cache under Adv. Options -> Game Settings (I think) to 100. Currently, running the 225f patch with that setting and all D3D options turned on (and w/ low quality sound). I'm getting decent frame rates @ 800x600x16. It appears to be smooth, but still hangs every 3 or 4 seconds. The funny thing is, the 'stat fps' command shows my FPS to be around 16 *boggle*.
Zepher, I would try switching to D3D w/ the latest Detonator drivers. I'll let you know in a day how far I can make it into single player w/ the 225f patch, cause I've read on here that it breaks a number of things in single player even though it does give a massive increase in D3D performance over patch 224v. If anyone else can give me some tips on how to improve performance, I'd appreciate it muchly /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
I hate to b***h about poor performance, but I was kind of counting on a p3 450/TNT combo to be able to run flawlessly at 1024x768x32 (which I think it should).
Thanks again,
DrHogie

raydioactive

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
HI, If you wanna get a few more fps in d3d, do the following:- Go into advanced options in safe mode, select rendering, and under d3d change to false the following:-volumetric light, coronas, high detail actors, shiney surfaces, detail textures, multitexture, probably wont have to turn them all off, i find shiny surfaces uses a lot of cpu power. Oh, and in the same menu make sure it says false next to " use 3dfx" hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by raydioactive (edited 12-06-1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.