PDA

View Full Version : Weapons

Warren
28th Jul 1999, 01:53 PM
Well we've put together a new weapon for Infiltration that should answer all desires for a powerful sniper rifle. Good luck surviving a round from this gun! Let us know what you think!

Morag
28th Jul 1999, 03:01 PM
Well maybe the weapon hasn't come out yet but I havn't been able to find the new sniper rifle. Next thing is, is the new sniper rifle going to replace the old one or is it going to be an addition to our weapons?

Warren
28th Jul 1999, 03:49 PM
The new Robar .50 BMG will simply compliment the current PSG1- so in other words you'll be able to choose from both weapon. The new PSG1 model has been totally redone so right now both sniper rifles just need a skin and animations before it can be put into our next versions. These weapons will be available before version 3.0 comes out since we don't want to have to wait for UT before another release. With the release of these weapons will be bug fixes for most if not all the current bugs.

Bone
28th Jul 1999, 04:55 PM
KILLER!!
bout time for a real sniper rifle....
more distance too??
now thats a Srg. Hathcock gun!!!!

JediCatch
28th Jul 1999, 06:59 PM
DANG! you guys rule! I love this mod. I was looking at your road map, and... *drool* I have a few questions. The most important of them, is: What kind of melee weapon are we talking here? A big knife or what?

------------------

[ Jedi Catch ]

Warren
28th Jul 1999, 11:47 PM
We're looking at a few possibilities.. a knife, a machette', not sure, but something lethal, light, and easy to use..

29th Jul 1999, 06:57 AM
a caliber .50! Great! I hope it'll have enough blast in the game to blow back the enemy some metres.
But tell me: how do you guys choose the weapons? I had expected a Barret or something. [Looking forward to the new gun from HK with caseless ammo /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Neo (edited 07-29-1999).]

Warren
29th Jul 1999, 11:32 AM
Hehe- the G11 will probably be in version 3. As far as choosing the weapons, there wasn't much to it. First of we really wanted a bolt action sniper rifle. But at the same time, I wanted to keep the PSG1.. so we needed a weapon that people would use but still use the PSG because of it's semiauto quickness. Then we wanted something that wasn't some kind of copy from Serpentine. So we settled on the .50 calibur range of weapons. This narrowed our choices down to like 3 or 4. We finally settled on the Robar .50 BMG because of it's style, design, and hopefully 'fun' factor.

kamikazi
29th Jul 1999, 04:47 PM
what about throwing knives!?!?

[ Jedi Catch ]

Twig
29th Jul 1999, 08:41 PM
I suggest a fork if you guys are planning to implement a melee weapon. http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/modcentral/html/teeth.gif

No, really, forks can be dangerous in the right hands...

------------------
Twig

Warren
29th Jul 1999, 08:47 PM
hmm- how about a spork?? that'd work!

kamikazi
30th Jul 1999, 02:19 PM
Man, aren't those things illegal!?!?!? those things are DANGEROUS!! (speaking of sporks)

------------------

[ Jedi Catch ]
SOB Clan and Jedi Forums!! (http://206.86.100.18:8080/bcatch22)

Sledgehammer
31st Jul 1999, 11:50 AM
I really think that the melee weapon should be a hairy great knife. The large calibre weapon could be used as a mid-range weapon.
How about a pair of magnums, one in each hand, levelled at the back of a sniper's head? Hmmmm...

Anyway, keep up the good work. Good luck y'all

JediCatch
31st Jul 1999, 12:50 PM
HECK YES!! MAGNUMS! I thought of another pickup item.. an addon to the radar, it could be a heat sensor!! That would rock! I like the idea of magnums! are we running out of numbers to assign these guns to?? lol. you could always do like u4e and put multiple guns on each number. i believe duke nukem did that too!

------------------
[ Jedi Catch ]
SOB Clan and Jedi Forums (http://206.86.100.18:8080/bcatch22)

Catalyst
31st Jul 1999, 01:36 PM
Yes, we could assign similar weapons to the same number, like we will probably assign the Robar to the number 7 slot along with the PSG. The G11 could go with the M16, and if we do a weaponized version of the flashbang it will sit in the number 1 slot with the hand grenade. Magnums are a damn fine idea, and will be taken seriously. If not the magnum itself, some sort of a .44 or .357 caliber handgun that can be the M9's bigger brother /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

31st Jul 1999, 02:30 PM
How about a IMI Desert Eagle?
But I don't generally like handguns with big calibur. They're always the type of weapons in games that make the rest of the arsenal unused most of the time. But hopefully you won't let a military mod have a 6-shot revolver...

Warren
31st Jul 1999, 03:41 PM
I love the Desert Eagle series of weapons-- just a lot of fun to shoot! Whatever weapon we choose to supplement the M9, it probably should have some sort of balancing factor- for instance, Serp's handguns were either a 15 or 7 shot weapon making the power of one balance the number of rounds the other had. We'll have to see, but another handgun would be nice.

As far as dual weapons go, just have patience because those are definitely coming! I know UT has a dual weapon and we're simply waiting for the support from this game to add our own dual weapons... like the handguns, MP5, HK69, grenades, etc.. of coures you'll have to be careful.. the reload time will be tremendous-- it won't be like GoldenEye.. you'll have to carry the responsibility of holding two weapons at once!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ...but oooo the firepower!

..and here's something to sit on.. what about a golden spork game mode where a single spork will spawn in place of the super health and when you throw this wonderful toy, it's an instant kill!.. hehe.. or maybe I should keep my day job.

Catalyst
31st Jul 1999, 10:38 PM
The Golden Spork? Either you've been playing too much Goldeneye, or you've been watching too much Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JediCatch
31st Jul 1999, 10:40 PM
DON'T TOUCH THE SPORK!! PUT THE SPORK DOWN!! MOVE AWAY FROM THE SPORK!! I like that word.

------------------
[ Jedi Catch ]

1st Aug 1999, 12:44 AM
But the aiming should be less precise in dual mode

JediCatch
1st Aug 1999, 08:33 AM
awww, you could be just as precise with practice!! just like you could really reload some of the guns faster.

I would like to also note (just in case no one had noticed) the shotgun fires a LOT faster than a real semi-auto shotgun when it is in that mode. It makes it very hard to combat with other guns. It is putting out even more bullets per minute than the submachine gun!!

------------------
[ Jedi Catch ]

JediCatch
1st Aug 1999, 08:35 AM
You guys gotta admit... it would be an awesome thing to walk around a corner with a .44 mag 10 inch barrel and blast the head off of some helpless guy with a rocket launcher or something /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
[ Jedi Catch ]

JediCatch
1st Aug 1999, 12:16 PM
oo oo, one more thing. Do you think it would be possible to add more debris from the grenades?? I have seen people stand the equivalent of 10 ft away and not get hit!! Just wondering.

------------------
[ Jedi Catch ]

1st Aug 1999, 03:28 PM
WRONG! The Benelli Super 90 M3 semi-automatic shotgun fires more than 4 rounds in a second!

1st Aug 1999, 03:34 PM
And even if you train your whole life, you can't aim in dual mode as good as in single mode. Or are you some kind of chamaeleon that can use its eyes independend?
To aim precisely with your MP5, you need both hands and holding one in each is heavier to aim and heavier to hold.
And, (Sorry btw) I wouldn't like to walk around with a Magnum. That gives me this John Wayne feeling. 'Howdy, all that new stuff hasn't any chance against my good old revolver, huhuhuu'
Sorry, I had a real bad day.

JediCatch
1st Aug 1999, 06:10 PM
I did not know that about the shotgun, is this one that shotgun or another?
As far as aiming 2 guns at once, we are not talking aiming at different things, we are talking about aiming at one thing. I think that would be easier, but I personally have never tried it. And I know mp5s would be harder to fire, I was talking pistols.

------------------
[ Jedi Catch ]

Catalyst
1st Aug 1999, 11:32 PM
The whole dual weapon thing is really meant more as fun than realism, I mean the whole concept is from Hollywood anyways /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif However, to balance things out, we probably will reduce accuracy.

Warren
2nd Aug 1999, 12:33 AM
Yeah, dual weapons will have bad accuracy as far as machine guns go. It's pretty impossible to balance a machine gun with one hand and still fire full auto. The handguns will be a little easier, but not the same accuracy as a single handgun-

The Benelli shotgun model we did is the exact one that can fire about 4 rounds a second in semi auto.. but if you actually check, the pump mode will do more damage- which is the upside.

Michael Bain
3rd Aug 1999, 09:02 AM
FORGET about 44 mags and 357's

A 454 Casull is the best with ~1400 ft/lbs
of energy at 50 yards.

A 44 mag is only ~620 ft/lbs at 50 yards
A 357 is only ~430 ft/lbs at 50 yards.

For the melee weapon, how about a spear,
primary fire would use it like staff, but
alt-fire could throw it.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bain (edited 08-03-1999).]

JediCatch
3rd Aug 1999, 02:50 PM
spear... that's funny.

If we are going for pure power in a handgun, why don't we just go with the .50 cal!! lol. and yes, there IS a .50 cal handgun!! (not sure who makes it)

------------------
[ Jedi Catch ]

Warren
3rd Aug 1999, 03:12 PM
Yeah- there are a few .50 cal handguns.. That's also a possibility. As far as a spear goes.. hmm- hehe- that kinda caught me off gaurd /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Right now we've got a knife, machette', and spear as choices.. anyone else?

Michael Bain
3rd Aug 1999, 03:13 PM
It's not the size of the bullet, but the powder behind it.
The ammo you refer to is the .50 AE, the only spec I can find on it is a muzzle energy of ~1270 compared to a muzzele energy of ~1870 for the 454 Casull.

On the other hand the .50 is a semiauto not a 5 shot revolver.
(see www.magnumresearch.com) (http://www.magnumresearch.com))

JediCatch
3rd Aug 1999, 03:19 PM
Well, goodie!!

I don't know, just recently I have had a craving for things StarWars. A light saber would be nice /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Actually, a whole StarWars mod would RULE!!

------------------
Ich bin das große JediCatch. Sie können nicht mich anbeten, aber Sie können mich zweifellos
verehren.

[ Jedi Catch ]

Warren
3rd Aug 1999, 03:29 PM
Uhh... hmmm.. I think light sabers are like thousands of years in the past or something-- we'd like to keep this mod within the most recent millinia.. IF possible /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

Michael Bain
3rd Aug 1999, 03:33 PM
If your going to put more realism into the damages, how about some MACE?

JediCatch
3rd Aug 1999, 05:51 PM
lol!! and while you're at it, add a cattle prod, lol!!

------------------
Ich bin das große JediCatch. Sie können nicht mich anbeten, aber Sie können mich zweifellos
verehren.

[ Jedi Catch ]

JediCatch
3rd Aug 1999, 05:56 PM
My brother suggests an anal probe. =D

Ummm.. btw. Why add mace? Any idea what it does? It burns the face and blinds people. Since you cannot really duplicate your face burning (maybe you could make them stumble around??) there is no use except for blinding which is made by the flash bangs.

------------------
verehren.

[ Jedi Catch ]

Twig
3rd Aug 1999, 09:17 PM
How about a gas grenade? You could load your grenade launcher with a gas canister instead of a normal one and fire it into a room. The gas should fill a large area, and should stay for a while. As for what kind of nasty things it does to players, uh... maybe minor persistent damage and temporary blindness?

------------------
Twig

4th Aug 1999, 05:39 AM
AAAAHHH!
Es heißt: Ich bin DER große JediCatch. (If you're male)
The next sentence is some kind of 'Käse'.
----
But talking about melee weapons: a knife would be the best, or can you imagine some guy with a MP5 and a fork?

Warren
4th Aug 1999, 09:59 AM
Hehe- the fork is a joke- seriously /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif We'll take a look at the possible melee weapons sometime after version 2.5 is out. If anyone has an idea for this slot, voice your opinion! So far we've got a knife, spear, and machette'.

The gas grenade, right now, isn't a very viable option. We attempted this when we worked on Force Recon, but found that to make it look realistic (ie a colored fog of some kind) slowed things WAY down. And it seemed any other route we tried just didn't look very good. That was, of course quite a long time ago, so we'll take a look at this again when UT comes out.

JediCatch
4th Aug 1999, 11:28 AM
How about multiple melee weapons. You can only have one and you specify it in options. You could have types of swords, like a kitana etc..

[ JediCatch ]
my translater is busted, lol!!

4th Aug 1999, 12:31 PM
I don't like the idea of a spear. Too old. A Katana (not Kitana /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) would make the mod look like a f*#-. game called 'Shadow Warrior'. And again: Who would carry a longsword AND a MP5. a bit contradictious, don't you think?

JediCatch
4th Aug 1999, 03:24 PM
who cares?? I, personally, would like to cut someone in half with a kitana or a broadsword.

------------------
verehren.
[ Jedi Catch ]
Wenn jedermann mir mit Deutschem helfen kann, lassen Sie mich wissen. Ich werde Lektionen bald nehmen.

Warren
4th Aug 1999, 08:12 PM
A sword is considerable, but not a broadsword for it's weight. A person can carry a sword in a sheath without problems.. so this weapon is obviously a possibility. And allowing the player to choose his melee weapon would be a cool touch- but might not be possible straight out with version 3-- might be added in an update after that.

JediCatch
4th Aug 1999, 08:41 PM
that's cool. I think it would be awesome if there were more animations for unreal. You could make the guy really get cut in half and stuff. Or do you know how to do that/is it possible?

[ JediCatch ]

JediCatch
4th Aug 1999, 09:39 PM
I'm tellin' you guys, though.. if we are talking a sword that takes up little space, light sabers are the way to go!! you could even specify color /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif lol. Ok, I will shut up about it now.

[ JediCatch ]

Twig
4th Aug 1999, 09:53 PM
I think there already is a model animation where you get cut in half (at the torso). I agree, it would be wickedly satisfying to split someone with a for— er, uh, katana. http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/modcentral/html/teeth.gif

I still think a fork would make an ideal "comic relief" weapon. Or maybe I'm just obsessed with forks. /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

------------------
Twig

5th Aug 1999, 01:13 AM
Am I the only one who wants to have a military mod???

5th Aug 1999, 01:15 AM
I've just read the topic of this messageboard: INFILTRATION; the military conversion for Unreal...
please keep it like it is right now.

Michael Bain
5th Aug 1999, 07:05 AM
I agree, if Unrealistic weapons are your game, then get away from infiltration.

JediCatch
5th Aug 1999, 05:59 PM
um... guys... CHILL! and if you think a sword (or even a fork) are unrealistic, WHERE ARE YOU!?!? They ARE real weapons. Many military organizations even keep swords because they are traditional. It is just ideas anyway.

[ jedi.catch ]

Catalyst
5th Aug 1999, 10:31 PM
Umm, how about bayonets?

6th Aug 1999, 12:45 AM
Swords....a marine recon with a sword....a SEAL with a fork....great!
A bayonette would be great (attachable on the G11)

Hodag
6th Aug 1999, 01:47 AM
You've already covered the major food groups(sidearm, Longarm, Sniper, Support) maybe an LMG or GPMG(M249 or HK36 or maybe the German MG3)? Tear Gas would be nice, or at least smoke grenades. A suppressed SMG(MP5SD3 or MAC-10) or 9mm pistol(Hush Puppy style). Parachute(pop) flares, trip flares, concertina wire that causes damage, NVGs, Flamethrowers, emplaced weapons. Imagine an assault versus a position with .50s and Mk19 HMGs on Guard towers...

------------------
Oh Great... another Mac
fanatic...

Michael Bain
6th Aug 1999, 07:24 AM
What I really want to see is a more realistic use of Body Armor, to see what I mean you can go to:
www.safariland.com/nij.htm (http://www.safariland.com/nij.htm)

To summarize this, a class III or IV vest is
capable of handling at least 48 rounds from an M16(.223) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Michael Bain (edited 08-06-1999).]

JediCatch
6th Aug 1999, 10:22 AM
I like the bayonette idea, but maybe you could have that already on the weapons like the light is on the shotgun. Other than that, I think you need a big melee weapon. Anything small like a knife would be hard to do. It would be hard to calculate a correct ammount of damage.

[ jedi.catch ]

6th Aug 1999, 11:57 AM
Oh my god! Class III! I wouldn't want to run around with such a fat protection!

6th Aug 1999, 12:05 PM
talking about food groups:
We've got a sidearm and another is to follow (a bigger calibur)
We've got a Shotgun (semi-auto)
We've got a suppressed SMG. (I'd prefer the German HK SMG2 with an ATTACHABLE silencer)
We've got a 223.
A 4.7mm will follow. A German HK G11 (great one)
We've got a sniper (semi-auto)
A bolt action is to come
We've got an antitank weapon
A melee weapon is to come with V3.
As Warren said about a thousand times: Gas is impossible with the U-Engine without loosing speed.
Flares would be a nice idea. (But why do I really need them in a Deathmatch? They'd be great for a military total conversion like Force Recon http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/modcentral/html/teeth.gif )
BTW: Is there any possibility to get some beta maps of FR? I've seen some shots. It was an entrance to some kind of base or a tunnel. This one looked great!

Sorry Warren, if I steal your work! I just thought it'd be boring to write always the same /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Warren
6th Aug 1999, 06:29 PM
no worries-

the problem with some of this stuff is it fits more for a total conversion with single player levels.. flares are good examples.. if you can't see a darkened corner, and you're hidden yourself, I doubt you'd fire a flare in there, giving away your position. The only practical use for this item in our mod is trying to get the attention of other players in an outside level.. have blue and red flares.. of course this would give away your position for more enemy troops to show up, but that'd be a realistic scenario.

Melee weapons.. even though it's hard to justify a melee weapon that normal soldiers don't use, our mod can never be totally 'realistic' for many reasons.. so if we throw in a knife and a sword and something else- making it a user's choice in the options or whatever, it'd be purely for fun. After all, why bring a knife to a gun fight? If you can throw it, that's one thing, but the only other practical use would be hiding in the shadows until someone passes you, then jumping out, slicin' and dicin'. ...but this is impossible with bots because they don't 'see' shadows.. these same thoughts can be applied to any melee weapon, so why not make it fun. Each would be balanced somehow.. ie swinging a sword might take a bit longer than a knife- and you could also throw the knife- but the sword could kill in one slice.. there are plenty of options here. At this time we will most likely not have more than one melee weapon with version 3- but then add more as things progress. but we WILL consider other 'unrealistic' melee weapons- frankly because we can.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A bayonette would be a lot of fun and might just have to make it's way onto the G11 somehow.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It would be a fixed item that's always there like the flashlight on the shotgun.

A heavy MG like the M249 will be likely.. we'll look at the different possibilities. Something like the MK19 would be sweet, but at this time- unless UT has more to it- that would be a brush turret a level designer adds in. I could possibly design one in Max, along with the textures- then simply add the functionality to our code for turrets.. more possibilities..

We'd also like some realistic vests that have realistic physics.. ie arm/leg/headshots will still get ya.. and thicker vests could cause you to slow down dynamically- if that's possible in UT.

There are many possibilities to make this mod very realistic-- even to the point of making a single player TC out of it-- but this kind stuff is pretty far in the future, so one thing at a time! /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif We love the ideas, and we're always writing the good ones you folks mention..

As far as FR goes, we don't deal with that TC any longer, so what's on the old site is what you get.. sorry-

Hodag
7th Aug 1999, 01:35 AM
The M249 a HMG???? Gahhhhh the 60's more of a HMG than the SAW. Okay, I get the gas problem with slowdown and your points on the flares...but there really are no suppressed weapons in the mod. What about the Skorpion or the Berreta 93R?

-S*A*S-
7th Aug 1999, 11:45 AM
A Flame Thrower! What better?
And if the tank is hit, it explodes!
Please?

7th Aug 1999, 01:17 PM
Just take a look of the MP5 in the editor on in the weapons section!

Billdog
7th Aug 1999, 08:47 PM
Can't you make the tactical light on the shotgun a pick-up, useable with all weapons. I offen use only the shotgun to have a light. Also I would like handgrenates in the use item menu (like flashbangs) call it ease of use. I say please.

Akimbo: again pickups. As a 4 armed individual I personaly dosn't find it the least awkward to use a medikit in my shootouts.

Admidt it - you are the motherfrager from the yellow team (say pickup line) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Billstein
7th Aug 1999, 11:02 PM
I'd like to see radio detonated explosives... Some C4 can be a nice little distraction! Not too powerful as an offensive weapon though (consider the blast radius and the loss of power over the small distance). Mind you with large amounts of the stuff and an enemy close enough... Its just another great toy for the sniper.